Lee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersRotoMetals2
RepackboxLoad DataTitan ReloadingSnyders Jerky
Inline Fabrication Reloading Everything

Thread: Greed Kills

Greed Kills

In relation to scam artists on line. When an item is posted on a gun forum for considerable less than going price that should be warning #1. Warning #2 is if it is from a newer member with no sales history and low post count. #3 is in answers to WTB posts.#4 and not the least is when it is some kind of middleman deal. Another dead give away is seller has name like William Smith and speaks only broken English.
    I have been dealing on line for years on forums buying most items for average of $1k.
    Never been scammed. As of late have run into scam after scam. Watch for addresses from the border states. There are people so desperate they will run a $20 scam. I chalk it up to influx of illegals entering country. No self respecting scammer, even a doper is going to run small money scams involving checks & Money orders. When you see that $1200 gun for $800, start checking the seller before you send money. There is so much of this going on Cops are drown with it. Your money is in the wind. That leaves you with big grin on your face, thumb in your butt, telling story of good deal you almost had.

I agree. I've been on one well known (to most) auction site for longer than I can remember. The old adage if it looks too good to be true? Pretty much. The seller 'may' have 2 or 3 sales with great feedback. Look at the buyers feedback, typically there isn't any other than from the seller. They create false accounts and make it look like they've sold a few items with great results. Yep, it's gotten pretty ruthless out there and greed strikes quick. Buyer beware when dealing with with sellers with a NR feedback rating.

Murphy
    If I should depart this life while defending those who cannot defend themselves, then I have died the most honorable of deaths. Marc R. Murphy '2006'.

Boolit Master

The Nigerian Scam is still very much alive and well. I have listed various items on a local classified ad forum over the past 18 months. IN veritably, I get a text from some clown wanting to buy it, but they cannot pick it up, i.e., they are out of town training, at a conference, and a host of other excuses. They state that they will gladly pay me extra for saving it for them and will send me a cashier's check by mail and then have an agent pick it up. Last item, no less than 5 of these offers. I've seen it hundreds of times. The check goes into your account, a hold is placed on it, it clears, then the item is picked up. A month or so later, you get notified by the bank that it was an Insufficient Fund check and you have to repay the money. The cashier's check is routed thru about 20 banks, and by the time it hits the last one, it is for an account with no money in it. Addendum: As of 2 hours ago, make that 6 on the last item.
    Last edited by gbrown; 07-07-2021 at 04:51 PM.
    One of my father's favorite statements: "If I say a chicken dips snuff, look under his wing for the snuffbox" How I was raised, who I am.

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by gbrown View Post
    The Nigerian Scam is still very much alive and well. I have listed various items on a local classified ad forum over the past 18 months. IN veritably, I get a text from some clown wanting to buy it, but they cannot pick it up, i.e., they are out of town training, at a conference, and a host of other excuses. They state that they will gladly pay me extra for saving it for them and will send me a cashier's check by mail and then have an agent pick it up. Last item, no less than 5 of these offers. I've seen it hundreds of times. The check goes into your account, a hold is placed on it, it clears, then the item is picked up. A month or so later, you get notified by the bank that it was an Insufficient Fund check and you have to repay the money. The cashier's check is routed thru about 20 banks, and by the time it hits the last one, it is for an account with no money in it. Addendum: As of 2 hours ago, make that 6 on the last item.
    Tell them to have their agent cash the check and pay you cash. Probably tell you they don't trust their agent

Boolit Grand Master
    Never pay cash unless it's face to face, and you get the item first.
    Never use a card.
    Never use a personal check.
    Money order or Ugggg!!! paypal.
    Honesty is a rare commodity these days.........unfortunately even here.