Titan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingLee Precision
Inline FabricationRepackboxSnyders JerkyRotoMetals2
Wideners Load Data

Thread: Restoring mat finish to Colt Woodsmab sight plane

Banned

Restoring mat finish to Colt Woodsmab sight plane

I've got my eye on a reblued Colt Woodsman on GB. From the photos it looks like they did a nice job refinishing it. The only flaw is that they shinny polished blue the whole gun. The top of a Woodsman is supposed to have a mat finish to prevent glare.
    My question is what would be the best way to ad a mat finish to the sight plane (top) of the pistol. I'm wouldn't be tying to copy on original but rather adding some type of dull finish as a practical matter to make it a better shooter.

I would remove the slide & sights, then mask off the areas on the slide that you don't want to effect.

Stabilize the slide and palace a piece of very coarse grade emery paper atop the slide and repeated strike the emery paper with a section of a wood 2x4, moving the paper around on the slide - repeat as req'd.

When achieve what you want, then the matted area can either be cold blued, or the entire (stripped) slide dipped in a bluing tank.

Now I lay me down to sleep
    A gun beside me is what I keep
    If I awake, and you're inside
    The coroner's van is your next ride

Boolit Master

I would look around to see if any local shop has glass bead blasting tools. See if they'll do the air work if you bring the piece in masked and ready. This process can produce a perfect matte surface and is likely the one used at the factory.

Boolit Grand Master
    I'd shoot it first to see if you really need to go to the trouble. Dad had a third model and I had a second model Woodsman, I shot both extensively and I never remember seeing the top of the slide while in shooting position.

Its already been refinished, so the "Its never been messed with" ship has sailed.

Robert