Reloading EverythingInline FabricationTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2
MidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders JerkyRepackboxWideners
Load Data Lee Precision
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: our lead is worth more

Banned

our lead is worth more

just read an article that said theres a lead shortage right now and lead is going for 2300 bucks a ton. Good i guess if your willing to part with some. They said they expect the prices to up even higher in the near future.

Boolit Master
    I was at the range Monday afternoon and it was dry so the pickings were plenty. I can scarf up 50# without even really trying.
    I really need to get some more molds.
    “Coincidence is God’s way of remaining anonymous.”

I must be the luckiest guy on the planet. I friend and fellow shooter/racquetball player sold his tire shop many years ago, called me and said "....come get as many wheel weights as you want".
    2500 lbs later I think I am all set.
    No lead shortage here.
    Collector and shooter of guns and other items that require a tax stamp, Lead and brass scrounger. Never too much brass, lead or components in inventory! Always looking to win beauty contests with my reloads.

Boolit Master
    https://www.rotometals.com/pallet-le...ight-included/

Pallet Lead Ingots (99.9%) 1000 pounds Freight Included sale $1,849.00
    — You save $150.00

Banned

yup its up over a buck a lb and is expected to go higher. Im sitting on over a ton so when it his 50 bucks im selling! Anyone want to get in on something as profitable as bit coin?? Ill trade you even up lb for lb lead for silver before the price skyrockets.

Banned
    The majority of lead today is recycled LME lead prices are down 9 points as 0f7/7/21.

Banned

I wouldn't worry about it becoming cost prohibitive as much as just environmentally banned. The green types will have all forms of it unavailable.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Lloyd Smale View Post
    yup its up over a buck a lb and is expected to go higher. Im sitting on over a ton so when it his 50 bucks im selling! Anyone want to get in on something as profitable as bit coin?? Ill trade you even up lb for lb lead for silver before the price skyrockets.
    I don't know about trading pound per pound for silver. I just sold 18 lb 6 oz of 99% silver flake 2 weeks ago. They could not get me a check fast enough. I think silver is on the brink of heading up in price also. I see a new gun and lots of reloading supplies in my future.

Chuck40219
    When I speak of:
    45-70: that is a 45-70 Uberti 1885 High Wall Rifle
    357 Mag. Rifle: that is a Uberti 1873 Carbine

Moderator Emeritus
    What is silver flake?

Boolit Master
    A friend of mine is a commercial bullet caster and two months ago he was paying $1.65 per lb and now it has went up to $2.40 per lb for 6-2-92 alloy.
    So I am sure the cost of bullets will be going up.

20lbs usually makes over 1k 9s, so that's just 50 bucks at 2.5 per. Still not bad imo. Gonna have to gho way way up before it's no longer worth casting. But then again, it'll still be cheaper to cast so I guess it's all relative.

Boolit Buddy
    I just checked the scrap yard where I use to work. They are paying $.46 a pound for lead. Owner usually sells it to me for about $.70

Boolit Master
    I checked the one closest to me. .17 for wheel weights and .41 for clean lead. They want over a dollar if you want to buy some.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by garandsrus View Post
    What is silver flake?
    i would guess its shavings left from drilling and milling silver parts. but then I dont have a clue

Boolit Master
    Scrap clean lead was $1.00 a pound two months ago, but is now $1.50 a pound at my favorite junkyard. The price jump even startled the guy making up the invoice.

But I knew money was getting worthless when I went to Wal-Mart to get a can of their flat black spray paint for metal targets. It had been 96 cents a can for as long as I had been painting targets; now it was $1.23.

Money is a function of how hard and smart people work; not how fast one can run a printing press. Odd how this reality never seems to trouble the fine minds of our Best and Brightest.

The Dog never catches its tail. It dies from exhaustion.

Banned
    The only scrap yard near me has been charging $1.50 a pound for a long time now. (they pay 10-15¢ a pound)

Occasionally I'll buy some 50/50, roll solder, or hard lead from them and scrap metal for projects.

Many years ago I bought 3/4 ton of monotype/foundry lead for .80¢ a pound. Sold some but still have a lot of it left.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Bent Ramrod View Post
    Scrap clean lead was $1.00 a pound two months ago, but is now $1.50 a pound at my favorite junkyard. The price jump even startled the guy making up the invoice.

But I knew money was getting worthless when I went to Wal-Mart to get a can of their flat black spray paint for metal targets. It had been 96 cents a can for as long as I had been painting targets; now it was $1.23.

Money is a function of how hard and smart people work; not how fast one can run a printing press. Odd how this reality never seems to trouble the fine minds of our Best and Brightest.
    At least you can get flat black paint ! We've not been able to get it out here for over a year now! Can't get flat white either! Our was .89/can . Our sillywet targets now shine!
    It's all chicken, even the beak!

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by garandsrus View Post
    What is silver flake?
    It is silver reclaimed from film processing solutions. When I sold it was netting $26.55 a troy oz.

chuck40219
    When I speak of:
    45-70: that is a 45-70 Uberti 1885 High Wall Rifle
    357 Mag. Rifle: that is a Uberti 1873 Carbine

I don't care what it's selling for. Mine isn't for sale. I bought it to use when the **** the fan and that day has come since the last I checked lead bullets were hard to find. If the price of lead is going up, the price of lead bullets will stay static? I doubt it.
    Last edited by Minerat; 07-07-2021 at 07:11 PM. Reason: operator error

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast