RepackboxReloading EverythingWidenersLoad Data
Snyders JerkyLee PrecisionInline FabricationTitan Reloading
MidSouth Shooters Supply RotoMetals2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 45/70 dies

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Green Frog View Post
    I’ve been chuckling and biting my tongue until it’s ready to bleed. I only shot BPCS a few times with my original Winchester high walls with modern 45-70 barrels. I loaded a bunch of the rounds I used for that purpose on an old Lyman TruLine Jr and a set of NOS (flat orange cardboard box) dies I picked up somewhere. I started out using an orphan Lyman mould from their Centennial Special set to get classic 405 gr bullets.

I used this rig for several years with perfect satisfaction. That’s why I had to chuckle at folks coming up with all sorts of stuff necessary to get the job done. You just “gitter done” and go shoot. I even set up a friend with a Lee/Mequon “Whack-a-Mole” set he used for his original Trapdoor Officer’s Carbine. It ain’t rocket science!

Froggie
    That's the little turret press designed to use 310 dies, right?

I have one, haven't used it yet. Mine came with two tool heads, one for 310 dies and one for standard 7/8x14. I got it planning to load .22 Hornet one which I only neck size. That is a diminutive little press for a big ol' case like .45-70.

Generally I would agree with your statement and I do not own RCBS Cowboy dies for .45-70 (yet) but have them for several other cartridges and am convinced they are better for loading cast and worth the extra cost. The switch to them made a very dramatic difference in how my .38-55 loads shot.

Vendor Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by Green Frog View Post
    I’ve been chuckling and biting my tongue until it’s ready to bleed. I only shot BPCS a few times with my original Winchester high walls with modern 45-70 barrels. I loaded a bunch of the rounds I used for that purpose on an old Lyman TruLine Jr and a set of NOS (flat orange cardboard box) dies I picked up somewhere. I started out using an orphan Lyman mould from their Centennial Special set to get classic 405 gr bullets.

I used this rig for several years with perfect satisfaction. That’s why I had to chuckle at folks coming up with all sorts of stuff necessary to get the job done. You just “gitter done” and go shoot. I even set up a friend with a Lee/Mequon “Whack-a-Mole” set he used for his original Trapdoor Officer’s Carbine. It ain’t rocket science!

Froggie
    May I point out that some of the innovation is a desire to improve the quality of the loaded round.
    And that comes from the desire to make better scores because you feel like the lack of accuracy may be costing a point or more in a match.
    Often, there is a traffic jam near the top of the scoreboard and a single point can make a big difference.
    Last edited by Chill Wills; 07-16-2021 at 02:57 PM.
    Chill Wills

Boolit Mold
    I also reload 45-70 and use RCBS's Cowboy dies and Missouri Bullet 300 gr. RNFP bullets and am happy with the setup. I have only reloaded cast, and have shot a box or two of jacketed factory loads (Rem. 405gr soft point). Let us know how your setup works!

Boolit Master
    My 45/70 dies are made by Lee and no problems.
    Old retired guy in Baton Rouge La.

Boolit Grand Master

Southern France by way of Interior Bush Alaska
    The OP said he had some Hornady brass to reload. I’ve never used any, but I’ve heard that the Hornady brass was a little shorter the other brands.

Boolit Buddy

If that Hornady brass was originally loaded with FTX bullets it will most definitely be shorter.

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by PhilC View Post
    If that Hornady brass was originally loaded with FTX bullets it will most definitely be shorter.
    What he said, the Hornady FTX bullet (lever evolution ammo) brass requires a case length of 2.040 vs the normal 2.100 of the 45-70. So they’re .060 shorter. If the OP were to pick up dies, make sure they’re new enough that the crimp die will crimp the shorter case. Older dies will barely start a crimp before the die body contacts the shell holder (runs out of travel).
    Another suggestion would be to slug your rifle bore and select your bullet mold and expander die to the correct dimensions. A proper fit will help improve accuracy, reduce/eliminate any leading and save a lot of potential trouble.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by marlin1895 View Post
    I am a RCBS man & always will be. They do the best for your money by far
    "Best by far"? That sounds quite authoritative! I have to wonder, how long have you been reloading and how many brands of dies do you actually have personal experience with?
    Last edited by 1hole; 10-01-2021 at 03:32 PM.

.45-70 Redding #80209 FL Reloading 3 Die set, used [$70+ new]; 11-16-2014 sent it in to Redding for eval, as it just wasn't crimping into my Beartooth Piledriver Jr.'s. User error--I was supposed to set the crimp die about one turn off the "lower" portion of the Dillon shell plate. I also didn't care for this die's swaging the top 3/16" of my case mouth to 'conform' to SAAMI chamber specs. Then the discussion revealed this die set is NOT OPTIMAL for hardcast lead alloy bullets, but rather jacketed projectiles. Go figure.

11-19-2014; I then ordered an RCBS Cowboy Action 3-die set. Who knew?

It's tough when ya don't know what'cha don't know, but I got lucky this time finding an informed Redding employee that referred me to RCBS for this solution. I remain ignorant of the machining issues/specs that differ between the two manuf's, but the results were outstanding for my purpose.

I too reload 45-70-405 (my hardcast COWW+2% Pewter, LWFN) on my 550 and have found a good "nodes" with 27gr & 34gr of IMR4198, yielding 1.5" & 1.3" groups respectfully @ 100yd; Marlin 1895GS. I know IMR4198 is not normally spec'd for this round, but seems to work well for me in this large straight walled "tube". Good luck & call/pm with any questions.

Wally
    Been loading 6.5 CM for ELD, learning to load Mosin Nagant & .308/7.62x51
    Caster & CWW / Lead miner.
    Mountain Mold 45-70-405, 80% Meplat, sized .461" dia. for Marlin 1895GS
    Lyman mold #429421 "Elmer Keith" style 255gr, Dbl Cavity; [for .44 Mag, S&W 629, Alox lubed]
    Lyman #356402, 9mm, Sngl Cavity [for a friend]
    LEE #90282, 12ga Drive Key, 7/8oz Slug [for: Son's 3-Gun]
    LEE #90349, 452-255RF, 6 Cavity [for 45 Colt & 45 ACP; Alox lubed]
    LEE #90697, 453-200RF, ditto

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12