Titan ReloadingLoad DataInline FabricationLee Precision
MidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersRepackboxReloading Everything
RotoMetals2 Snyders Jerky
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 45/70 dies

Boolit Mold

45/70 dies

I'm looking at getting a set of dies for reloading my 45/70 brass and am wondering what way to go.
    I have a 550 Dillon and of course a Rock Chucker.
    I've reloaded for 20 some odd years , but never 45/70 or BP.
    I have a couple hundred rounds of Hornady 325 FTX ammo (some shot) and quite a bit of Winchester, Federal, and HSM.
    I got the itch for 45/70 early last year and picked up a couple of Ks' because it was cheap ,relatively, and I kind of fell into a Marlin 1895GBL dirt cheap. I recently got a Palmetto/Garret 1873 and since I'm used to rolling my own ammo I would like to know if the Lee dies are the way to go or if the Hornady New Dimension would be better. I understand Redding dies for 45/70 is what Dillon carries but have never used them. I use RCBS and Lee dies in my 550 so , what do you all think ?
    Thanks, John.

Boolit Buddy
    Near that little town in Eygpt or SW Wyoming, whichever
    I have had a set of Lee's for 25+ years and they work fine. Also have a set of RCBS and they do a good job. The Lee's needed a little deburring but turn out good ammo. My thought is that you will be OK with whatever you can find, in the current market. Not a fan of Hornaday but have a couple sets (not 45-70) and they will probably work also.

Banned

If I were buying a new set of dies for .45-70, I'd get a set of the RCBS Cowboy dies, but all I shoot in anything anymore is cast.

The Cowboy dies made a huge difference in accuracy in my .38-55 without changing anything else. They are well worth the extra money in my opinion.

Boolit Grand Master

Southern France by way of Interior Bush Alaska
    How are Cowboy dies different from regular dies?

Banned

Designed to expand case mouths properly for cast bullets.

I got a .38-55, shoot like crap with cast. Rifle likes a fat bullet and standard dies sized the case to the extent that the cases squeezed the bullets to be undersized after loading. When I got a set of the Cowboy dies, without changing anything else about loads, groups shrunk in half.

They're designed for cast bullets, I suppose a guy could shoot jacketed and not have to worry about it, but loading and shooting jacketed in .45-70 borders on blasphemy in my opinion.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by John Crusher View Post
    .... I use RCBS and Lee dies in my 550 so , what do you all think ?
    Thanks, John.
    I think every maker's dies obviously work quite well or they would have failed in the market long ago. Pick a box color you like and use 'em.

Boolit Master

I'm looking at getting a set of dies for reloading my 45/70 brass and am wondering what way to go.
    I have a 550 Dillon and of course a Rock Chucker.
    I've reloaded for 20 some odd years , but never 45/70 or BP.
    I have a couple hundred rounds of Hornady 325 FTX ammo (some shot) and quite a bit of Winchester, Federal, and HSM.
    I got the itch for 45/70 early last year and picked up a couple of Ks' because it was cheap ,relatively, and I kind of fell into a Marlin 1895GBL dirt cheap. I recently got a Palmetto/Garret 1873 and since I'm used to rolling my own ammo I would like to know if the Lee dies are the way to go or if the Hornady New Dimension would be better. I understand Redding dies for 45/70 is what Dillon carries but have never used them. I use RCBS and Lee dies in my 550 so , what do you all think ?
    Thanks, John.
    Hi John,
    And welcome to Cast Boolits. Just a word of caution...your Hornady brass is about 0.10" shorter than standard .45-70 brass, so make sure you don't mix them when loading other brands of brass. If you set your seating die with a slight crimp for Hornady, it will crumple a normal piece of brass when you go to seat the bullet. BTW, I agree with Rich as to the Cowboy dies, but if you can't get them, and you're going to shoot cast bullets, you can get a proper expander from NOE that will fit in a Lee expander die body.
    Ed

Boolit Grand Master

I have and use both the RCBS Cowboy dies and Lee for BPCR rounds Both are good and work as advertised and are good. Both size small and expand up to bullet dia. In the lever gun you will want more neck tension than I use though.

The Rcbs die set is finished nicely and both my sets show a nice dolor case hardening. They load good consistent ammo with low concentric run out. I have made new expanderas for the bigger bullets and light tension I use in my rifles. I have 45-90 and 38-55 in these dies. The RCBS is more work to make a new expander for.

The lee dies do the job I like the floating seater and the expander is easier to make or modify. Not as nice a finish as the RCBS though.

On a side note I also have a Mecham bushing die for sizing. This will do the 45 cal and 40 cal. With the bushings you can size just to what you need with little need for an expander, this is much easier on brass. It also allows to size for PP bore riding bullets. This is much easier on brass as it works it much less.

Vendor Sponsor

Often the die sets are set up for jacketed bullets. In other words the expanders are very small. With 45-70 and cast bullets (other BPCR calibers too) using the stock (factory) case neck expander causes problems. Unlike jacketed bullets, one two thousandths smaller than your soft cast bullet is best so as not to change the 'as sized diameter' of the cast bullet when seating. Many of the factory expanders are many thousandths smaller than the cast bullet you choose to use. The small case neck ends up reducing the diameter of the bullet and in turn reduces the accuracy of your loads. Shooting under-size bullets rarely improves accuracy!

Likely the reason die sets come with very small expanders is for use with jacketed bullets - us bullet casters are in the minority. It is true the RCBS Cowboy dies sets are a better choice if cast bullets are to be used. Even then the diameter of the case neck expanders may not be optimum, but will get you closer.
    The recommendation of getting an aftermarket 'two diameter expander' solves problems. There are a number of sources.
    Chill Wills

Go with the RCBS Cowboy dies. I have a set I've been using for about 5 years now. They come with two different diameter inside neck ex-panders. The one you use depends on the your bullet dia, in relation to your bore dia. This is important for best accuracy with cast bullets. If your only going to use jacketed bullets the Lee will be fine.

Boolit Master

I like the old Lyman dies in the Black cardboard box. They have old style M-dies and Do NOT size the brass excessively.
    New Die Set ? I would buy RCBS Cowboy.
    The Lee dies really stink for loading Cast.
    I HATE auto-correct

Happiness is a Warm GUN & more ammo to shoot in it.

My Experience and My Opinion, are just that, Mine.

SASS #375 Life

One consideration, if you are planning on reloading the 45-70....Lee makes a crimp die especially for the FTX loads using the Hornady short brass. I am not sure if the other manufacturers do. Just a thought!

Bill

Banned

Anything but Hornady!!!

Boolit Mold
    Well , I did stock up on Missouri Bullets Buffalo cast so I will be loading cast and maybe go BP for my Garret.
    I'll get the RCBS Cowboy dies, got a buddy at Grafs.

Banned

Well , I did stock up on Missouri Bullets Buffalo cast so I will be loading cast and maybe go BP for my Garret.
    I'll get the RCBS Cowboy dies, got a buddy at Grafs.
    There are a ton of good mold designs for .45-70. Lee molds are dirt cheap and while they are delicate and much harder to learn to cast with than iron ones, their designs tend to be good ones and that Lee 340 grain FN or the 405 grain HB one have both done very well for me.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by hwilliam01 View Post
    One consideration, if you are planning on reloading the 45-70....Lee makes a crimp die especially for the FTX loads using the Hornady short brass. I am not sure if the other manufacturers do. Just a thought!

Bill
    Redding makes one too. They seem to make them in batches, so availability varies, but that’s just the new normal.

If the OP needs another opinion, I’m using RCBS cowboy dies for the single stage. Will get a custom powder funnel for the xl650 from @lathesmith one of these days and then just use the standard RCBS dies.

Boolit Master
    i load 45-70 cast boolits with lee dies no problems.

Boolit Bub
    I am a RCBS man & always will be. They do the best for your money by far

Boolit Buddy

When my brother asked me to load for his 45-70 I got the RCBS cowboy set and couldn't be any more pleased with how well made they are. His 1895GBL really likes the 425gr Piledriver Jr from Beartooth. I haven't found a similar mould...yet.

Boolit Grand Master
    I’ve been chuckling and biting my tongue until it’s ready to bleed. I only shot BPCS a few times with my original Winchester high walls with modern 45-70 barrels. I loaded a bunch of the rounds I used for that purpose on an old Lyman TruLine Jr and a set of NOS (flat orange cardboard box) dies I picked up somewhere. I started out using an orphan Lyman mould from their Centennial Special set to get classic 405 gr bullets.

I used this rig for several years with perfect satisfaction. That’s why I had to chuckle at folks coming up with all sorts of stuff necessary to get the job done. You just “gitter done” and go shoot. I even set up a friend with a Lee/Mequon “Whack-a-Mole” set he used for his original Trapdoor Officer’s Carbine. It ain’t rocket science!

Froggie
    "It aint easy being green!"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast