Reloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationRepackbox
RotoMetals2Titan ReloadingLee PrecisionLoad Data
Wideners

Thread: 40 S&W max load differences

Boolit Master

40 S&W max load differences

looking at online Alliant load data for 40 S&W, they list a full 1 grain difference for 165 grain bullets, max be86 load for a JHP is 6.5 grains while the load for FMC is 7.5 grains, seating depth/OAL are both the same.
    wondering why there is such a difference depending on bullet design in bullets of the same weight.
    BE86 has become one of my favorite powders for 9mm, 40 S&W, 38 spl and have had good experience with it in less than max velocity loads in 357 mag, 41 mag and 44 mag, works as good if not better than unique with cast bullets, less flash, complete burn, less soot

Boolit Master

The hollow point bullet is going to take up more of the interior case volume.
    NRA Benefactor.

A pressure adjustment, Makes sense, Thanks for that.
    Give me something to believe in. Poison
    Arosmith What it takes
    A 12 step program

Boolit Master

The hollow point will likely have a longer bearing surface as well.

Given that it's a pretty intense cartridge, it's one I'd probably want to do separate, gradual workups for with bullets of different types - even if of the same weight. No reason to go nuts with it, but jumping from near max with one slug to another could potentially start pushing things.
    WWJMBD?

In the Land of Oz, we cast with wheel weight and 2% Tin, Man.

Boolit Master

100% Big Slug!!

OP, Please know.... A reloading manual only tells you what was safe in the firearm they tested and to the best of THERE ability it will be safe in your gun... NOT ALWAYS THE CASE!

It is up to the re loader to start low and work up watching for the signs that tell you things are getting too warm.

YES, manuals vary. Just as whats safe for your gun is likely to be different from mine.

Be safe

CW
    NRA Life member • REMEMBER, FREEDOM IS NOT FREE its being paid for in BLOOD.
    Come visit my RUMBLE & uTube page's !!

https://www.RUMBLE.com/user/Cwlongshot
    https://youtube.com/channel/UCBOIIvlk30qD5a7xVLfmyfw

Boolit Master

The old Speer #9 Manual had a chapter titled " Why Ballisticians go gray ?" It read about the letters the Tech dept. Received about the differences between loads in different Reloading manuals.
    As an example I had 2 different rifles in .25-06, in one manual it stated a max charge of a certain IMR powder was 50.0grs. One rifle showed pressure signs above 48.0grs. The other rifle showed no pressure signs above 51.0grs.
    Just goes to show you, everything in reloading is a Law unto itself.
    Last edited by Walks; 07-08-2021 at 09:39 PM.
    I HATE auto-correct

Happiness is a Warm GUN & more ammo to shoot in it.

My Experience and My Opinion, are just that, Mine.

SASS #375 Life

Boolit Master
    Just supports what I have been saying all along about loading data. But people refuse to believe it. It is a recipie for that particular event in testing by the one person, laboratory, that is doing in that particular test in that particular test equipment at that particular time with that "lot" numbers of components.
    But we need "guidelines" to guide us but not dictate to us. No one knows all the answers. Ballistics is an ever changing thing. Sometimes the difference isn't much but it is there.
    It can be someone who has very little experience to some one who has thousands of dollars of equipment and owns more firearms than the US Army and shoots more than the whole US Military forces put together giving advice. But it is still ever changing.

HOT TIP!!! Don't hotrod the .40 S&W it is a cartridge where there is nothing of value to be had by using top end loads. There is lots to lose if your crimp isn't right and you get bullet set back in the case adn you get a nice fat Pressure spike.

My standard load is 5.4 gr of W231 with a plated 165 gr bullet or a PC'd 175 gr cast boolit. These are 10-15 % below max loads and will do anything you need from this cartridge.

If you really think you need hotrod loads for SD then go buy some factory loaded rounds. Like Hornady Critical Defense Ammo, $2 a shot isn't too much for your peace of mind.

I personally shoot Winchester White Box Target Loads for HD except now I shoot 12 ga ones for HD as I found out shotguns were better than pistols for HD! Like I said nothing to be gained by Hot Rodding the .40 S&W you just get a bigger gun if you need more power.

Randy
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by W.R.Buchanan View Post
    HOT TIP!!! Don't hotrod the .40 S&W it is a cartridge where there is nothing of value to be had by using top end loads. There is lots to lose if your crimp isn't right and you get bullet set back in the case adn you get a nice fat Pressure spike.

My standard load is 5.4 gr of W231 with a plated 165 gr bullet or a PC'd 175 gr cast boolit. These are 10-15 % below max loads and will do anything you need from this cartridge.

If you really think you need hotrod loads for SD then go buy some factory loaded rounds. Like Hornady Critical Defense Ammo, $2 a shot isn't too much for your peace of mind.

I personally shoot Winchester White Box Target Loads for HD except now I shoot 12 ga ones for HD as I found out shotguns were better than pistols for HD! Like I said nothing to be gained by Hot Rodding the .40 S&W you just get a bigger gun if you need more power.

Randy
    Winchester 231 Buy Now 0.400" 1.125" 4.7 933 25,200 PSI 5.4 1,049 33,400 PSI

Here is data from Hodgdons for a Berry's 165 grain plated bullet.
    What data do you use that shows 5.4 grains W231 is 10 to 15 percent below max?
    Just curious is all.

Boolit Grand Master

There are several factors besides weight that affect pressure ... hardness of the bullet jacket is one and another is the bullet / boolit profile .
    I like to get data , when I can , from the bullet manufacturer for the exact projectile I'm using . They test every bullet/boolit design they make JSP , JHP , FMJ , Plated , Coated or Cast . It doesn't hurt to compare data from other published sources .
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by gwpercle View Post
    There are several factors besides weight that affect pressure ... hardness of the bullet jacket is one and another is the bullet / boolit profile .
    I like to get data , when I can , from the bullet manufacturer for the exact projectile I'm using . They test every bullet/boolit design they make JSP , JHP , FMJ , Plated , Coated or Cast . It doesn't hurt to compare data from other published sources .
    Gary
    Come on now, we all cherry pick. You can't be a member of any forum and not understand that or use that technique.