Reloading EverythingWidenersTitan ReloadingLoad Data
RepackboxLee PrecisionInline FabricationRotoMetals2
MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: Lyman Ammunition maker

Boolit Bub

Lyman Ammunition maker

I would post pictures but I can't figure out how to do that from my phone..... if you can help yhat be cool too lol

I have a friend who has got a 30/06 rem 700 and wants to pursue reloading. I told him I had just the thing a lyman ammunition maker kit in 30/06 complete with a 310 loading tool,, dies mold, bollit sizer and ladel for pouring, and original instructions.

I told him I would give him everything he needed to be successful, he just needed to acquire powder and primers.

I bought this kit at a gun show for $35 and have never used it. Its a 310 nut cracker style and I will assume its a neck sizer only.

I was planning on full length sizing 100 cases and giving them to him and after he shot them he would have dedicated brass for his 30/06.

Will this set up work for him as is or should I provide more equipment?

Boolit Grand Master

Start him with the Lyman 50th manual. This will get him understanding the process and how it works. If he doesn't want to shoot cast that ammo maker will still load bullets well, it's just slow. If he wants to do a lot of shooting he will want to get a standard press pretty soon. He will need something to measure powder, and for a beginner this needs to be a scale. Dippers are fine once you can measure what you are actually dipping.

Yes, you are right, it neck sizes only. But always start with understanding, once you have understanding you can move on to particular equipment and it's uses.
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

You are giving him a very good and collectible kit.

As Wayne wrote a good full size and scale would be very good additions to the included dipper and mini-manual; and a pot if he's going to cast - it'd be a shame if he didn't with such a nice kit.

Some would disagree, but I think a portable outfit is the better way to get started loading.
    The first purpose of the Second Amendment is too often overlooked, fostering a liberty of mind and action necessary in the people of a free republic.

“Ironically, the only gun control in 19th century England was the policy forbidding police to have arms while on duty.”
    ~ Don B. Kates, Jr.

Of the basics, the manual(s) is the most valuable. A mentor is advisable.

Slim
    JUST GOTTA LOVE THIS JOINT.

Boolit Master
    I started reloading in the late 50's with a Lyman Ammunition Maker in .30-06.I still have it but haven't used it in years.

Boolit Master
    I agree about the foundation to good handloading is knowledge and it best stems from studying good manuals!

The tools are but worthless without the know how to safely operate them!

Good shooting!

Three44s
    Quote Originally Posted by Bret4207

“There is more to this than dumping lead in a hole.”

Boolit Master

I started with a M1903A1 Springfield, a .30/06 Ammunition Maker kit and a set of Redding scales and a Lyman Cast bullet book back about 1960 and what a monster I turned out to be. That and the FL resized cases should get him hooked. I soon found out that neck sizing cases fired in a Browning MG didn't work well in the Springfield. A lot of mentoring will keep him from stubbing his toes along the way. Oh yeah, don't forget the pocketknife to remove the primer pocket crimps. /beagle
    diplomacy is being able to say, "nice doggie" until you find a big rock.....

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by beagle View Post
    I started with a M1903A1 Springfield, a .30/06 Ammunition Maker kit and a set of Redding scales and a Lyman Cast bullet book back about 1960 and what a monster I turned out to be. That and the FL resized cases should get him hooked. I soon found out that neck sizing cases fired in a Browning MG didn't work well in the Springfield. A lot of mentoring will keep him from stubbing his toes along the way. Oh yeah, don't forget the pocketknife to remove the primer pocket crimps. /beagle
    Too bad this website doesn’t have a “Like” button! My old buddy beagle nailed it! About the only thing I would add is to remind all of the beloved “push in” dies to full length resize most common (and even some pretty rare calibers!) using the die and a vise or even hammer. My first TruLine Jr press was passed down to Dad and me with a set of 30-06 dies and such a die. This started my love of the “little dies” along with its acquisition came a search for 45 ACP dies, 38 Spl dies and shell holders and then, and then…

I think this was repeated hundreds of thousands of times in our hobby with only small variations in the story, and the effect was lasting. I still have my TL Jr set up for 32 S&W Long and am using a steel handle 310 set devoted to 9mm. I can’t get away from them.

Froggie

PS Another big shout out to friend beagle. I hope to be healthy enough for that long-planned visit and shooting session before too long!
    "It aint easy being green!"

Vendor Sponsor

My very first reloading was with a Lee Loader in 308. thats the hammer load set back in 1977
    Last edited by Smoke4320; 07-15-2021 at 02:22 PM.
    [SIZE=4][B]Selling Hi Quality Powdercoating Powder

I carry a Nuke50 because cleaning up the mess is Silly !!

http://www.bing.com/search?q=nuke50&...7ADE&FORM=QBLH

I am not crazy my mom had me tested

Theres a fine line between genius and crazy .. I'm that line
    and depending on the day I might just step over that line !!!

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Smoke4320 View Post
    My very first reloading was with a Lee Loader in 308. thats the hammer load set back in 1977
    With all possible respect and affection, that's "Whack-a-Mole".
    I didn't start with a revered WaM set, but I started at least two of my friends with them!

Froggie
    "It aint easy being green!"

Boolit Grand Master

Yup, I started with the WackaMole set in 30-30 too. Never looked back.
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

Boolit Master

Whack-a-mole set in .30 Carbine with a $20 surplus M1 carbine in 1963 got me on the reloading road. I recently found some Norma .30 C cases from that same period, felt like meeting an old friend again!