WidenersRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackbox
Load DataSnyders JerkyInline FabricationTitan Reloading
Lee Precision Reloading Everything

Thread: Beautiful machine and beautiful restoration

Boolit Master

Beautiful machine and beautiful restoration

This is both a brilliant machine and a beautiful restoration. I'm a nerd for tools like this vice.

https://youtu.be/QBeOgGt_oWU

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

Boolit Grand Master

I haven't seen that style in large vises like that but engravers use a smaller version for engraving. Very cool.
    2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

Boolit Grand Master
    Wish I had one.
    Wonder how much it would cost for one of those, if made today????

Boolit Grand Master

Smaller ones are available here https://fractalvise.com/

Per this https://theawesomer.com/fractal-jaw-vise/628562/ Made by Mantle & Co. in the early 20th century, the vice uses a series of rotating semi-circular jaws to hold items firmly in place. See the fully-restored vice at 34:00, then check out the original patent for the design.
    Last edited by M-Tecs; 07-06-2021 at 07:59 PM.
    2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

Boolit Master
    Remind me when working for a living. Was given at work about 5 old heavy duty vises. Some of them were busted but all the same make and model. So completely disassembled them to find out what we were working with. Managed to get 3 complete vises out of the original ones. Set two of them up in the welding shop, which was originally a pump room for the fire system. One kinda fell off the truck and made it's way home. Vises were Simplex and were about 30 years old at the time. So mine is about 55 years old now. All the old spare parts stayed in the welding shop as spares. Except for a couple busted lead screws and one set of jaws. Frank

Boolit Grand Master

Whats that vise shows is the craftsman ship and skill of our grandfathers. It was more than likely made on old flat belt machines with an operator turning handles and reading dials.

It is an interesting vise and should be saved.

Boolit Master
    It's 120 years old, and after a bit of TLC it'll work for another 120. I love old craftsmanship like that.

Northern Virginia, where the freeway does roam.
    It is a very interesting machine, thank you for showing it.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

Boolit Master

Thanks for posting that.
    NRA Benefactor Member NRA Golden Eagle

Boolit Buddy
    You will never get 120 years from your computer.

Boolit Grand Master
    One on evil bay now.
    Kind of expensive, but worth it if you need something like this.

Boolit Master
    Mad skills designing and building the original.

Mad skills artfully restoring it to full functionality, including making replacement parts (having a CNC mill helps, but, still).

Mad that I don't have those skills (actually, more sad, but, you know, alliteration).

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by kevin c View Post
    Mad skills designing and building the original.

Mad skills artfully restoring it to full functionality, including making replacement parts (having a CNC mill helps, but, still).

Mad that I don't have those skills (actually, more sad, but, you know, alliteration).
    I'm still working on my retirement plan, where I can have the money to buy the tools, and take the time to learn the skills to do stuff like that. If anyone's figured it out, let me know.

I'm 46, I should be good to go in the next year or so, right? Right?!

Boolit Master
    Reverse those digits and you'd be close to my age.

I'm retired, and really I can only blame casting, reloading and shooting for not having time for the coulda/shoulda/woulda's.

Boolit Master
    I'll be retireing in 5 years, and I would absolutely jump on a restoration project like that! While I don't do things that would require a vice like that, the combination of restoring the value (retirement income), and restoring the usefulness (esthetic/feel good element) would keep me from passing up one of those at a junk shop. Reminds me of a wall mounted, hand powered drill press that I didn't buy about 15 years ago...... I'm still upset with myself for not getting and restoring it! It had a couple of bad bearings, and for 40$, it should have been a no brainer! Oh, well.

Boolit Grand Master
    out of here, wandering somewhere in the SW.
    Where on evay?

That's kinda like saying " there's a needle in a haystack .............in that field of haystacks!

Boolit Grand Master
    It's gone from evilbay.
    I think it got sold.
    It was a smaller one that in the clip.

Boolit Grand Master
    out of here, wandering somewhere in the SW.
    Quote Originally Posted by abunaitoo View Post
    It's gone from evilbay.
    I think it got sold.
    It was a smaller one that in the clip.
    It is still there for weeks in the SOLD section, as everything is. I wanted to see it for purely reference purposes but have no idea what it was listed as. So I have had no luck finding the listing.

Boolit Grand Master
    I should have saved it, but stupid me, I didn't.
    Sorry.

Boolit Master

Fractal Vise Jaws on evilbay

A set of fractal vise JAWS (only) did in fact just sell on evilbay for $2604 on July 12. They appeared to be the same size as those seen in the video. I posted the link here a couple days ago, but apparently ebay links to closed/sold item is a "bozo no-no" because my post was deleted without notice or message. I would not have guessed linking to a past/closed item was prohibited!!??!!

Since my link message disappeared here I had to search again and it's still there to view. using duck-duck go my search was; (fractal vise ebay)
    “Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in the world. But, the Marines don't have that problem.” Ronald Reagan