WidenersLoad DataRepackboxRotoMetals2
Reloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingLee Precision
Inline Fabrication

Thread: HG 68 modified

Boolit Bub

HG 68 modified

Ok some back story here, I am 29 and I have neurological damage which is the result of my father's exposure to agent orange in the Vietnam War. I did not make friends my own age as a child due to my inability to socialize normally i.e. play ground event etc. So I had a great deal of exposure to my father's friends, whether for the better or worst who knows lol. One of my senior friends (74) at the moment was regaling me with his experiences in the early days of ipsc and how he bought a 4 cavity mold which cast the hg68 style bollit at 230 grains. He said the base of bollit was longer and it provided wonderful accuracy while also being able to be loaded to maximum velocity.

Is anyone familiar with this design or the manufacturer of the mold matching the above physical description?

Boolit Master
    Try google for hensley & gibbs #68

Boolit Bub
    I have google in past regarding the hg68 modified version and have never acquired any real info. The only info I found was a reference by Paul "fitz" Jones on the thehighroad.org years ago and he mentioned being a manufacturer of that product, he did not provide a company.name so he may have solely manufactured them himself. He is dead i assume by his account in activity so he can't be of help anyway

He is correct. Paul Jones sold them in the '80s: They were SAECO 4 cav. & I bought one from him & had it up until about 4-5 years ago.

Mine was a BB & the extension was from the unbeveled part.

As it turns out, I rarely used it & donated it to a co-owner of a local machine shop that wanted to get into casting. He did occasional work for me on motorcycle builds. His father (deceased)had always talked about that design. He wanted the standard 068 version & being a machinist he milled the extension away.

Boolit Buddy

Here's some more info:

#68 - "Heavy Specials". .45 Auto. Same configuration as standard #68, except for base bands and bevel bases, which are extended to acquire greater weight, yet retain the properties of the standard #68. #68BBA-has short bevel behind the added length section, for a weight of219 grains (207 grains in linotype). #68BBBB has a longer bevel base for 232 grains in wheel weights (219 grains in linotype). #68S--even more extended rear driving band, Plain base. 231 grains (218 grains in linotype). #68BBS extended base band and long bevel base. 239 grains (226 grains in linotype).

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

Boolit Buddy

https://www.hensleygibbs.com/molds/68BBS239gr.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Valley-Shooter View Post

The mold that I got from Paul Jones had a different appearance from the ones pictured.

A. Since mine was a SAECO: in typical SAECO fashion the nose was not as rounded as the one in the photo. There was a definite sharp edge (or sharper).

B. The Paul Jones/SAECO item had the normal bevel. The extra weight was obtained by a cylinder shaped extension from the unbeveled part of the base.

2 versions

Quote Originally Posted by Valley-Shooter View Post

From the research that you did plus my personal experience, it is obvious that there were 2 versions of the 230 gr. H&G 068: the H&G (original) & the SAECO clone.

The attached photo show the minor differences between the SAECO clone on the left & the MP clone on the right (the SAECO is a BB & the MP is a PB). As you can see the SAECO BB is slight.

H&G seems to have accomplished the weight gain by exaggerating the BB whereas the Paul Jones/SAECO version extended the un-beveled part of the base.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails MVC-001F.JPG  

Boolit Master

I have two 4cavity molds Wyane Gibbs (H&G) made for me of that boolit( 240gr) , I also had him make me two 4cavity molds that were longer and heavier, I forgot how much, I think they are marked XXX . I have not used them in years , I`ll see if I could take a picture and post them in the next few days .

You can email to at accurratemolds.com tell him what you want then send you a drawing for your approval if you don't, like it you can tweak it until you do and Tom is a great help in that area. If you do like it he'll put it in his catolog and you order it. Easy and not as expansive as a saeco

Sent from my SM-T377V using Tapatalk