Reloading EverythingLoad DataInline FabricationRotoMetals2
WidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionTitan Reloading
Repackbox
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Just ordered two Hi-Points

Boolit Grand Master FergusonTO35's Avatar
    The only thing that keeps me from getting a Hi-Point carbine is the the fact that it doesn't take Glock mags. The Ruger does, so that is what I went with. Sadly, the HP would probably outshoot the Ruger!
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

Banned

I bought 2 years ago with no regrets. One C-9, 9mm and one JCP 40 S&W. I eventually sold the C-9 to my brother as a favor, but still have the 40 S&W. I loved them both, they will eat anything I feed them and always shoot and group great.

Boolit Master

Some asked about groups with the Hi-point carbines. I think these were at 50 yards. Been awhile since i did it. The 40 is low because of a new load. The 45 rules the roost lol.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCF8318.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	47.2 KB 
ID:	286412
    One round at a time.
    Member of the NRA,GOA and FAOC. Gun clubs Zerby rod and gun club. Keystone Fish and Game Association.

Boolit Master
    I got the high point 40 s&w and really like it. It shoots the lee .401 175 tc with 45/45/10 lube and plated rainier 165 gr and other 165 to 180 gr plated bullets very well. The powder that really tightened my groups up was hodgens HS-6 . It liked the higher end book loads. The farther I go up closer to max with that powder the tighter it got. The only thing I don’t like about it is the stock cheek pinch. It’s hard to explain but feels like somebody taking a few hairs on your cheek and pulling them out with a tweezers. It is a fun gun to shoot and fairly accurate for a pistole ammo carbine.

Boolit Master
    Those guns have always been butt ugly but they seem indestructible. Whenever Matt on Demolition Ranch has a Hi Point on the show he always rags on them but is forced with eerie regularity to acknowledge how good they are in a lot of key ways.

If I needed a semi auto PCC for real work on the farm, I would consider one. Years ago I saw an older couple at the range... they brought a single gun case with two identically equipped 9mm Hi Point carbines... matching red dots and all. They did great with them, and it was pretty adorable that they had matching guns for range day.
    I'm a big fan of data-driven decisions. You want to make me smile, show me a spreadsheet! Extra points for graphs and best-fit predictive equations.

I agree with BigAl, the .45acp rules. And with Red Ball's Single stack into double stack design, it carries 20 rounds. A couple of 20 round mags and a couple of 10s is a whole lot of firepower. With 230 grain truncated cone noses with reasonably sized meplat. They'd play hob with anything up to a wooly mammoth.

Ugly is as ugly does. In that respect Hipoints are fashion models. They feed anything, totally unfussy and totally dependable.

They are just not much to look at.
    I truly believe we need to get back to basics.

Get right with the Lord.
    Get back to the land.
    Get back to thinking like our forefathers thought.

May the Lord bless you and keep you. May the Lord make His face to shine upon you and be gracious unto you
    and give you His peace. Let all of the earth – all of His creation – worship and praise His name! Make His
    praise glorious!

Attachment 286673Attachment 286674I happen to really like Hi Points for what they are. Years ago I bought 2 new Hi Point JHP pistols in 45 ACP and shot the heck out of one of them and decided it was a good candidate to modify. First I looked at how to improve the trigger pull and found the trigger system is pretty crude and besides polishing the points where steel meets steel the only thing else was to modify the sear to striker engagement. After that I removed the barrel assembly and with my lathe I bored the center of the barrel out and reamed it to 5/8” ID. Using a piece of a Chaszel barrel liner I turned the OD to fit and threaded the muzzle then epoxied it into the original barrel. All that was needed was a small cut for the extractor and grinding and polishing the feed ramp with a Drexel and it feeds and shoots unbelievable good. The barrel is now 5 1/2” long so it’s a legal deer hunting handgun in OH if used with only 3 shots but besides garden pests I never hunted deer with it. That liner is a 1-12 twist and is VERY accurate, I did make a mount for a compact red dot sight for it also but prefer it with iron sights so that’s how it’s used. A much younger friend of mine shot this pistol at 50 yards with just his arms rested on a crude table and shot several groups under 3” and amazed a group of other shooters that couldn’t come close to that accuracy with there handguns that cost literally 10 times what the Hi Point cost.
    Some day I will probably run into a deal on a HP carbine in 45 ACP and pick it up to have another project as like the many handi rifles I have modified they are the perfect platform.
    But just the way they come they are reliable, accurate, and will handle up to 45 Super loads without complaints and may be ugly to some but I see the beauty in them as a low priced dead reliable firearm.

Jedman

Boolit Master
    not sure if the carbines are the same. but lightened the trigger pull on the jhp45 pistol from 7lbs to 4lbs by changing the sear spring from a clicker pen
    did this on 2 guns with no issues after 1k rounds 1 went 4lbs the other 3.5lbs

I would be really careful doing anything with the sear and spring on HP's. These are the only things holding the firing pin back on these guns and there is no passive firing pin block.
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by FergusonTO35 View Post
    I would be really careful doing anything with the sear and spring on HP's. These are the only things holding the firing pin back on these guns and there is no passive firing pin block.
    That is sound advice. I can shoot a heavy trigger without too much trouble and this is not a "target" gun anyway. If I can reduce the "grittiness" that will be all I need to do. I have heard the M-CARBO spring has resulted in some "accidents" and I do not need to risk that.

I am used to a mushy trigger with the Glocks I use. Trying to get a 1911 trigger on something like this is not my intent. BTW, one reason I stopped carrying Kimbers is that the trigger was too good and I was worried about an AD when I am crapping my undies in fear.
    Don Verna

The last few HP pistols that have come through my side job shop actually had decent trigger pulls, kind of squishy but smooth and consistent.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by dverna View Post
    Sportsman's Outdoor Superstore has a sale on them. $350 with free shipping and three 20 round mags plus the standard 10 rd.

The 20 rd mags are normally $25 each.

It is NOT my kind of gun. But at that price it will make a good home defense and homestead coyote rifle for critters to 125 yards or so.

I have never seen a bad review on them and they come with good warranty.

I have been using a couple of 5.56 AR's for such duty, but if I need to fire indoors the 9mm will be a better choice.

I am nearly out of cast 9mm bullets so need to address that...LOL. But not casting today....supposed to hit 91*. Thankfully I am well stocked with primers, powder and brass; and I have a 9mm tool head set up for the 1050. I have a few thousand 124 JHP's I bought for SHTF so may load up 500 of them.

I have been looking for a "good" 9mm carbine that would take Glock magazines but I can get two of these Hi-Points for the same cost...no brainer. If I do have to shoot someone, having the Hi-point seized will not matter as much.
    Back when HP had just the 9 and 45 ( no 40 ).. and they had just come out. me and a buddy were at a big gun show in florida. Supposedly one of the first places / dealers to have those carbines. I picked up the 45, my buddy the 9. They are what they ar.. but.. they always go bang.. they have never ever jammed.. they feed all bullet nose profiles.. lead or jacketed. Using iron sights or simple optics they are as accurate as you are.

I cant fault them. I am not impressed by the size of the magazine floor plate.. it's overly bulky and ugly.. but... as said.. the guns are sturdy and just work...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12