Inline FabricationLee PrecisionWidenersRotoMetals2
MidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingRepackboxTitan Reloading
Load Data
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Just ordered two Hi-Points

Boolit Grand Master

Just ordered two Hi-Points

Sportsman's Outdoor Superstore has a sale on them. $350 with free shipping and three 20 round mags plus the standard 10 rd.

The 20 rd mags are normally $25 each.

It is NOT my kind of gun. But at that price it will make a good home defense and homestead coyote rifle for critters to 125 yards or so.

I have never seen a bad review on them and they come with good warranty.

I have been using a couple of 5.56 AR's for such duty, but if I need to fire indoors the 9mm will be a better choice.

I am nearly out of cast 9mm bullets so need to address that...LOL. But not casting today....supposed to hit 91*. Thankfully I am well stocked with primers, powder and brass; and I have a 9mm tool head set up for the 1050. I have a few thousand 124 JHP's I bought for SHTF so may load up 500 of them.

I have been looking for a "good" 9mm carbine that would take Glock magazines but I can get two of these Hi-Points for the same cost...no brainer. If I do have to shoot someone, having the Hi-point seized will not matter as much.
    Don Verna

Banned

I picked up a used one a while back, still haven't shot it enough to tell for sure, but initial results seem promising. Like you, it isn't my type of gun, and I doubt it will ever see any serious work for anything, but sure does seem like a fun range toy.

My neighbor had one a few years ago with no mag. He asked me to help him find one, and I simply found the phone #, and called High Point. I don't remember all the details, but the fact was that I talked to a actual human being, (really nice lady) who straightened me out on what we needed, and sent one to me for a very reasonable price.

This was one of the older guns, and the mags are pretty much rare and ungettable. Without the mag, that gun would have made a pretty good boat anchor. With the mag, I was surprised at how well it shot. jd
    It seems that people who do almost nothing, often complain loudly when it's time to do it.

I own a 9mm and a 10mm version and like them both. Very reliable and fun to shoot although every 10 to 20 shots you will experience a cheek pinch which will be more pronounced if you have a beard. Planned on using the 10mm deer hunting last fall but did not use it as I have other rifles with more reach that have served me well too.

Chris

Boolit Grand Master

If you need to fire indoors the 9 mm will NOT be a better choice. A 223 Hp will fragment and tumble in walls and the 9mm will go right through. The 9mm hp will pack with plaster and will be a fmj bullet in penetration effect. I made simulated wall and tested this and observed several drive by shooting results.

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by KCSO View Post
    If you need to fire indoors the 9 mm will NOT be a better choice. A 223 Hp will fragment and tumble in walls and the 9mm will go right through. The 9mm hp will pack with plaster and will be a fmj bullet in penetration effect. I made simulated wall and tested this and observed several drive by shooting results.
    I should have explained better. I live in the middle of a state forest. Closest neighbor is 3/4 mile away. Normally just the fiancé and I in the house and we still sleep together, unless I am in the dog house. Dog house and Guest quarters are in the basement.

Not worried about penetration of walls...more concerned about hearing damage.
    Don Verna

Boolit Master

We have had fun with ours, a 995 that I got used, I managed to shoot it until the bolt began to come apart. We sent it in to the new company and got it back rebuilt and with 4 new 10 round mags. It is very unfussy about the ammo it will digest.
    Quis Quis Quis, Quis Liberat Canes

/////////BREAKING NEWS////////////
    Millions and millions of American shooters and sportsmen got up, went to work, contributed to society in useful and meaningful ways all over the nation and shot no one today! How do they controll themselves?? Experts Baffled....

I LIKE IKE

Boolit Master

Just checked their website hoping to find a .45acp. No joy. At least not on sale. I already have a 9mm. They are ugly and feel cheap but mine is a blast to shoot and feeds everything I have tried in it including one of my favorite boolits the 358-105.

Boolit Buddy
    The 10 mm version really raised my eye brow

Boolit Grand Master

Hi-Points are heavy due to the straight blowback and not very attractive but they always go bang. The shop I work at part time sells a bunch and they never come back. For reliability they are among best.
    2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

Boolit Master
    anyone that owns a 45acp what size groups are you getting at 50 &100 yds????????????????

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by M-Tecs View Post
    Hi-Points are heavy due to the straight blowback and not very attractive but they always go bang. The shop I work at part time sells a bunch and they never come back. For reliability they are among best.
    The specs say they weigh 6.25 lbs....not too bad
    Don Verna

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by dverna View Post
    The specs say they weigh 6.25 lbs....not too bad
    I stand corrected. I was mainly referring to the handguns.
    2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

Boolit Buddy
    I have one in 45acp, never really put it on paper. But with a red dot sight, I can fast shoot 6" gongs at 50 yards all day long. It will eat any ammo I feed it. My favorite load is a 230 grain cast round nose over 5 grains of 231. Really fun gun. Wish, like all others, that it used Glock magazines. But that may just save it one day from the gun grabbers.

Chris

Moderator Emeritus

I have the 10mm and like mine. 45 is covered with my Marlin camp and I have the Beretta storm in 9mm. Have fun.

Quote Originally Posted by turtlezx View Post
    anyone that owns a 45acp what size groups are you getting at 50 &100 yds????????????????
    I have a Hipoint carbine in .45acp.
    At 50 I was getting most rounds touching in a very nice tight group. At 100 it spread a little. But was still very good.
    All rounds inside a 2" stick on shoot n see bull. Most inside a 1 inch circle. I won't make any MOA claims for it.
    Although I think if it had a 4x or better scope on it I would not be surprised to see it turn in a 10 rounds inside a 1 inch or true MOA target.
    But it might not. With just a Red Dot sight and a 2.5 moa dot it came close.

I love mine, I have a 9mm, a 40sw (currently in North Carolina protecting grandkids) and the .45acp is my favorite of them all.
    I truly believe we need to get back to basics.

Get right with the Lord.
    Get back to the land.
    Get back to thinking like our forefathers thought.

May the Lord bless you and keep you. May the Lord make His face to shine upon you and be gracious unto you
    and give you His peace. Let all of the earth – all of His creation – worship and praise His name! Make His
    praise glorious!

Banned

had a 40 years ago. gave it to the neighbors son. It was dead reliable fed anything and was even fairly accurate. Only downside is its ugly but no more so then my glock 40/micro roni i use for a 4o carbine now.

Boolit Master

My Hi-point carbines are over due for some range time. I traded my Hi-point pistols towards my CZ 457. Got more for them than i paid. No complaints there lol. Enjoy your new carbines Don. They keep on running.
    One round at a time.
    Member of the NRA,GOA and FAOC. Gun clubs Zerby rod and gun club. Keystone Fish and Game Association.

Boolit Grand Master
    Pickup the carbines last night.

Man do the triggers suck...worse than I expected. Found some information on polishing them up and will drop in a lighter sear spring...or maybe grind one coil off the stock spring. Hoping to get down to a 5 lb pull.

With some polishing and Lubriplate the triggers should be acceptable. All I need is a 4 MOA Gun that gets the job done.

If anyone has worked on the triggers please share your experience.
    Don Verna

Boolit Master

Don, on a hi-point pistol I bought for kicks about 5 yrs. ago I learned a unique 2 finger teigger pull! Left index finger over the right.....no kidding? might be a little hard with a carbine though! Good luck.
    "My main ambition in life is to be on the devil's most wanted list."
    Leonard Ravenhill

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast