Titan ReloadingInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee Precision
RotoMetals2Load DataWidenersReloading Everything
Snyders Jerky Repackbox

Thread: Reflections on Elmer Keith's "Sixguns".

Reflections on Elmer Keith's "Sixguns".

I've recently finished Elmer Keith's "Sixguns" on Kindle (Specifically, the 1961 edition) and I've got to say it was a great read and an interesting perspective on a firearm's expert at the time's view of the shooting world at large. Given Keith's hardened history as a cattle driver, a trapper, and a huntsman, I can see why he has his negative opinions regarding anything with a pointed, factory bullet in a non-rifle platform. Then again, Keith spent most of his life doing his best to get the cartridges (and Boolits) that he helped to design onto the market at large, so he certainly has an interest in the reader using the products that he helped put into the hands of the general public.

It was very interesting to see what was seen as cutting edge "Tacticool" at the time regarding holsters and handguns in general. If anything, it was an era before the widespread popularity of domestic semi-autos outside of the browning models, and well before polymer grew to cover just about anyone's need for an autoloader. Before the common adoption of defensive 9mm bullets, I can see why Keith was so distrustful to use any 9mm platform outside of competition shooting. Although, he did see the writing on the wall for 9mm as a cartridge to be the world standard for handguns well before the U.S army made it official.

In the book, you can both see how much has changed in the shooting world, with a handgun (or sixgun) for every budget and hand imaginable, but also, how much has stayed the same as well. As it turns out, deer and other four and two legged critters have not changed much over the years, so what was effective upon them back then are likely just as effective today.

It was a shame to look up so many businesses and companies that he had referenced and see that the majority of them, especially those based out of California and Oregon, and New York, were history. The rest of their products are now sought after collector's items, or their reproductions are up for sale at prices that make their niche audience quite clear. Newer products could likely do better or be more comfortable, but in some ways you can't beat the originals or the wild, experimental builds of yesteryear.

I think it was a great read. What have you fine people thought of the almost "Required Reading" of the shooting world?

Banned
    I have a few of Keiths books and he was a avid inventor and made more than a few contributions to the shooting game.

Boolit Grand Master

If you enjoy shooting and history it's one of the better books .
    After owning it for several years , the dust cover is falling apart and mostly held with clear tape ,
    I saw on Amazon that his 1936 book , "Sixgun Cartridges & Loads " had been reprinted in 2016 and was available for $9.95 I bought one . Being a dedicated boolit caster reloader I also found this book to be very interesting . Powders may change but lead & tin mixes don't and I found a lot of good info and a lot of history ... when he deveoped what and what moulds he designed and who changed them ...
    Between Sixguns and Sixgun Cartridges & Loads a lot of good historical info ...
    Also ... very interesting hearing stuff straight from the old horses mouth !
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Quote Originally Posted by gwpercle View Post
    If you enjoy shooting and history it's one of the better books .
    After owning it for several years , the dust cover is falling apart and mostly held with clear tape ,
    I saw on Amazon that his 1936 book , "Sixgun Cartridges & Loads " had been reprinted in 2016 and was available for $9.95 I bought one . Being a dedicated boolit caster reloader I also found this book to be very interesting . Powders may change but lead & tin mixes don't and I found a lot of good info and a lot of history ... when he deveoped what and what moulds he designed and who changed them ...
    Between Sixguns and Sixgun Cartridges & Loads a lot of good historical info ...
    Also ... very interesting hearing stuff straight from the old horses mouth !
    Gary
    I'm actually reading that book next! It's a good read as well. It's really interesting seeing just how disinterested he was in loading for magazine fed handguns. I guess at the time brass quality wasn't that good or perhaps corrosive primers were really doing a number on brass at the time.

Boolit Buddy

Somewhere between the Red and the Rio Grande
    He seen a lot in his life. He contributed so much to the shooting community, and I bet he was a rough old cobb , especially if you didn’t see things his way!
    Keep your powder dry and watch your six !!

Boolit Master
    Keith was truly a bit of a pioneer in so many ways. In his life & in shooting.
    He lived it, he practiced it, and he wrote about it. Many agreed with him, yet he also had his detractors. But if you STUDY what he did & how he did things,, you realize he was a smart, and didn't sugar coat stuff.
    He blew up guns, he pushed the limits, he experimented, and he USED his stuff.
    But he gave all of us so much in return, that we serious handgunners owe him a huge debt.

Banned

I have several signed 1st editions of his books……….including Keith, an autobiography, Sixguns by Keith and Sixgun Cartridges and Loads! All classics!

Banned
    Another of his books entitled (Hell I was there ) is a good read especially the chapter about the bureau of land management even in those days there were plenty of grifters in gov jobs.

Boolit Master
    I was more into Jack O’Connor and the 270 Winchester than Elmer but that changed when a hunter I know well came face to face with a Grizzly on our mountain cattle range that had killed a 6x6 bull elk.

When they gave me the recount of the tense experience, I took my 4506 Smith in 45 ACP and traded it for a 44 Mag Redhawk.

More .44s came and by 2000 I had three of them and was reading Sixguns and Hell, I was There.

That bear moved on but I hang on to revolvers in 44 Mag because our black bears are getting modernized due to not enough bear hunters ..... well, one .44 did get turned into a .480 Ruger in SRH!

Three44s
    Quote Originally Posted by Bret4207

“There is more to this than dumping lead in a hole.”

Banned
    I carried a 4506 for 20 years on the job we would have carried mod 29s but the Sheriff said no.

Moderator Emeritus

I am about 50 air miles from Winston and a 2 1/2 hour drive from Salmon. It is even better as a read when you know the country he traveled in.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by starnbar View Post
    I carried a 4506 for 20 years on the job we would have carried mod 29s but the Sheriff said no.
    I would have kept it but for the pesky magazine safety caused a slight catch spot in SA pull. My (then) gunsmith said it could not be defeated. After the pistol was gone I found out it was quite feasible to physically remove it but the gunsmith did not want the liability.

My goal is to get a 1911 though.

My 629 Mountain Gun suffices just fine though!

Best regards

Three44s

Quote Originally Posted by MT Gianni View Post
    I am about 50 air miles from Winston and a 2 1/2 hour drive from Salmon. It is even better as a read when you know the country he traveled in.
    In my time at my University I took several shopping trips to Lewiston. It's beautiful country out there. A little ways away from Elmer's stomping grounds but I can understand how someone making a living out there at the time had to fend for themselves.

Boolit Master
    I hope you trundled into the famous Lo Lo Sporting Goods?

Three44s

Quote Originally Posted by Three44s View Post
    I hope you trundled into the famous Lo Lo Sporting Goods?

Three44s
    Unfortunately my visit was short as it happened right before the major shutdowns in Idaho. After that point the store was closed to patrons. I had managed to get some PMC .45 ACP for an ammo crunch reasonable price there, and to my surprise they even had Lee equipment on sale. Now that things are opening up I really wish I could be around to visit again.

I'd certainly recommend the place. Never really got a feel of the location pre-pandemic/shutdown but I'm certain shopping was a lot better before then!