Snyders JerkyInline FabricationLoad DataReloading Everything
RepackboxWidenersTitan ReloadingLee Precision
RotoMetals2 MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: .357 for revolver and rifle.

.357 for revolver and rifle.

Happy 4th America .
    I now have a S&W 586 no dash .357 magnum. I’m looking for a cast bullet that I can shoot in it and a rifle. I haven’t bought the rifle yet. I got the revolver this week after my father passed last Sunday. It was his favorite handgun. I haven’t shot it in well over 20 years. I will buy a rifle, probably a lever action , also. I have multiple rifle and handgun pairs in 44 magnum. I want to cast for the 357 and be able to use in both rifle and revolver. I prefer a bullet suitable for deer hunting.
    Thanks in advance.
    Jeff

Boolit Buddy
    I would take a look at the lee 158 grain SWC with Gas Check for both. It would be like the Lyman 358156 which would be another good one.

Boolit Master

Are you planning to regularly shoot full 'magnum' loads in the S&W or something more like an enhanced +P? I, personally, lean more toward moderation and with that in mind have developed a load that works well in both my handguns and my Rossi 92. 11.5 gr. of A2400 under a powder-coated 162 gr RNFP (Arsenal mold) produces right at 1150 fps from a Ruger Match Champion (or a 4 5/8" Blackhawk) and just over 1200 from a 6" S&W. Never chrono'd the Rossi but, off-sandbags, load will hold inside of 4" @ 100 yds using factory sights.

Bill
    "I'm not often right but I've never been wrong."

Jimmy Buffett
    "Scarlet Begonias"

Get the rifle, and see what she feeds smoothly.

I have Rossi 92 that is a ton of fun, but can be picky about feeding SWC's

some feed smoothly in 38 brass and hang up on 357 brass

others feed smoothly in 357 brass

not all SWC's have the same shape.

these LEE 125gr,...or SNS 130gr feed like butter

LEE and commercial 158gr SWC, one feeds well, the other does not.

these SNS 158's feed well.

https://www.snscasting.com/38-357-15...-coated-500ct/

NRA LIFE Member

USPSA/IPSC

Boolit Master

Jeff,

Derek's advice is sound - buy your lever gun and see what it runs the smoothest with (cycle slowly and feel for "hitchy"), then buy your mold accordingly.

The WFN profile of the blue bullet he shows loaded in the case would be my go-to choice, albeit in a heavier weight. That general shape has two advantages: (1.) a lot of "feed ramp" type guns will usually think that you're giving it round nose; (2.) the big meplat will do a fair job of tissue damage even when cast of harder alloys more appropriate to faster loads, saving you the need to agonize over expansion vs. speed.

Worth a few boxes of factory figuring the gun's preferences out.
    WWJMBD?

In the Land of Oz, we cast with wheel weight and 2% Tin, Man.

Boolit Master
    I use the lee 158gr rnfp for all my 357 magnum guns. It feeds and shoots fantastic from the coonan and the Ruger 77/357. Works great on game.

Boolit Grand Master

The NOE 180 grain WFN feeds great in the Marlin 1894C and by all reports is a fine deer slayer.
    ”We know they are lying, they know they are lying, they know we know they are lying, we know they know we know they are lying, yet they are still lying.” –Aleksandr Isayevich Solzhenitsyn

My Straight Shooters thread:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...raight-shooter

The Pewter Pictures and Hallmarks thread:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...-and-hallmarks

Sorry to hear that you lost your father, Jeff. Having that 686 will be something to remember him by. Lots of good .357 Mag. rifle choices out there.

DG

Y’all are a wealth of information, I really appreciate all the information you share.

Boolit Buddy
    The Lee 125 RF is a great bullet discussed above.

For heavier loadings, the 158 is great as well. I think you'll see that there are a ton of good bullets out there for 38/357 and might even find it hard to choose.

Boolit Grand Master
    Derek46 has given you good advice.

I always start load development with what the rifles likes. A sweet pistol load that the rifle shoots poorly or does not feed well has wasted your time and money.
    Don Verna

Boolit Master
    one of the most popular bullets for 357 mag is the 358156, and possibly second to that is 360640, can't go wrong with either of these in 357 mag. The RCBS 357-180 SIL is a heavy hitter and has quite a good reputation too. there is a good possibility all three of these will function well in both handgun and picky lever action, my Rossi 92 is very picky as to what will function smoothly and all 3 of these work.

My 627s and my Win92 all like the 180 grain hcgc from Montana Bullet Works

Seems the Rossi 92 is very popular, I’ll have to find one to try . I’m glad there are numerous bullets to choose from, gives me confidence I’ll find the right combination. Appreciate all the replies.

Boolit Master

Seems the Rossi 92 is very popular, I’ll have to find one to try . I’m glad there are numerous bullets to choose from, gives me confidence I’ll find the right combination. Appreciate all the replies.
    The Rossi has a 1 in 30" twist which can hurt you with the heavier bullets in the .357 as far as accuracy. The Lee 125 RNFP is the accuracy champ in Rossi's IMO but that might be a bit light for deer. The 158 RNFP should be more than adequate on a deer at rifle velocities. The rifle will give you 300-400 more fps than the pistol when loaded with the slower powders like 2400,296,H110. Good luck which ever way you go, .357 lever guns a fun!
    "Masculine republics give way to feminine democracies, and feminine democracies give way to tyrannies.” Aristotle

Boolit Buddy
    Lee 125RF and RanchDog 190 are the most used molds in my collection. 125s shoot very well and 190s thump whitetails real good.

Whatever rifle you choose you would do well, like has been said, to find loads for it first. My Marlin 1894C did not like many boolits. Seems they would catch on the edge of the chamber nearest the ejection port. The rifle has a sharp edge there. After fighting with it for years I sent it to Grizzly Custom Guns in Columbia Falls, Montana. Among other things he tuned the trigger and fixed the feeding. He only works on Marlin Rifles. His work was perfect, timely and fair priced. I was concerned about cast boolits im my Marlin with Micro-Groove rifling but someone on this forum suggested sizing boolits to .360". It works. I use Lee's 158 grain cast flat point without gas check but with Smoke's powder coating. If I were not powder coating I would use the same boolit with a gas check. Good luck and have fun.

Sorry to hear about your father.

Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Grayone View Post
    I would take a look at the lee 158 grain SWC with Gas Check for both. It would be like the Lyman 358156 which would be another good one.
    This is one good choice^ This is one that I cast to fire in my 357 revolvers and Henry lever action rifle. Loaded with 14 gr of A2400 I get 1280 ft/s from a 6" model 27. The most accurate bullet I've found for my Henry is the Hornady 158 gr XTP. Loaded with 14.5 gr A2400 it is extremely accurate and cycles smoothly in the Henry, clocks in at 1600 ft/s and would certainly take down a deer. 16.5 gr of H110 gets you up to 1700 ft/s. Whatever bullet you choose, you want it to be flat point so the tip of the bullet doesn't set off the primer resting on top of it in the tube of your rifle. Lots of good advice above. I would second the idea that it would be worth buying some lead bullets to load and test out (If you can find them) before purchasing a mold for casting that bullet.
    What could possibly go wrong?

Boolit Grand Master
    If you afford it, get a Marlin 1894. I have two and they are very good guns. Easy to mount a scope on them.

If you are ok with a tang sight, one of the 1873 clones is a better choice than the Rossi IMO. I have had two Uberti’s and they performed well....sold one to a new CAS shooter but kept the other.

BTW, had a Rossi and sold it. Not a bad gun for the money but it will never run like a Marlin 94 or 1873. There are articles on the net about getting them tuned up. For plinking and hunting should be fine....until you handle a tuned 94 or 73.
    Last edited by dverna; 07-04-2021 at 09:47 PM.
    Don Verna

Boolit Master

I like my Rossi 92 and it likes my Lee 125 RF.
    God Bless, Whisler

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast