RotoMetals2Titan ReloadingInline FabricationLee Precision
MidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingLoad DataRepackbox
Wideners
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Lee Hand Press

Lee Hand Press

My name is jd, and I love my Lee hand press.

I picked one of these up several years ago, just because it cost nearly nuthin. Didn't use it for a long time, but finally decided to try it for simple chores. Now I use it a lot. Resizing small pistol brass, depriming, case mouth expanding, are the main chores, and usually sitting on the couch watching TV while I do it.

Occasionally, I do the complete job with it, and have no problem doing it. I wouldn't want to full length resize 7 Mag with it, but for anything pistol, it's fine.

I do most of my small primer priming with a Lee hand tool these days, and that's just one more thing that is easy for a couch potato.

I was wondering how many of ya might have discovered this handy little tool. jd
    It seems that people who do almost nothing, often complain loudly when it's time to do it.

Banned
    I have two. I don't know how I ended up with two but I did.

I don't use it a lot but when I need it it is always ready.

Occasionally I take it to the range for load work up. And it use to go with me in my work truck for times when I was stuck waiting for deliveries, crews, etc.

Steve in N CA

I love mine, it is my primary press. I may resize 7.62 x54R on a different press. Just easier on the arms.

But for everything else I prefer the increased "feel" of what is happening.
    I don't see this changing any time soon.

I do like to Citric Acid wash my brass and afterwords run a brush into the primer pocket just to keep them clean.

Clean brass in clean dies need only the tiniest smidge of Imperial Size wax to lube.

Depriming is done with a FA hand tool in my recliner. Then brass gets the citric acid soak and swirl. Rinsed twice with very hot water.
    Then each piece gets the primer pocket cleaned. The brass rolled on a towel on my leg to remove any grunge. This also shows up any faults, splits or other issues instantly.

Then the clean and dry brass gets run through sizing dies, Primed, charged, double checked for powder levels, and loaded.

They don't look new, but they are close.
    I truly believe we need to get back to basics.

Get right with the Lord.
    Get back to the land.
    Get back to thinking like our forefathers thought.

May the Lord bless you and keep you. May the Lord make His face to shine upon you and be gracious unto you
    and give you His peace. Let all of the earth – all of His creation – worship and praise His name! Make His
    praise glorious!

Boolit Master

I have 4 of them and use them all the time. One has a universal de-priming die, one has a universal small expander, one has a universal large expander, and one I use to size pistol brass.
    NRA Benefactor Member NRA Golden Eagle

Boolit Buddy

Count me as a fan as well.
    I enjoy the act of reloading, in the past, I have gone shooting just to have empty brass to reload. I have single stage, turret and progressive presses on the bench but just for the relaxation of reloading, I go to the Lee hand press. This past weekend, I match prepped 150 pieces of once fired Lake City 7.62x51 LR brass.
    "The price good men pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men."--Plato

Boolit Buddy
    I only have one LHP, and use it to deprime BPCR cases at the range before I soak em in water for the trip home.
    A universal depriming die, some shellholders, and it's good to go. This is a lot easier for me than using a punch and hammer to deprime these big BP cases.
    Shown also is a die just for Martini henry and Snider depriming, a CH4D neck die with an extended decap rod.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20210520_141634.jpg 
Views:	47 
Size:	78.9 KB 
ID:	285577

I have one too and I liked it so much that I decided to upgrade the design. These tools make it so anyone can reload even though they live in a Tent or Camper or RV or just a small apartment, or maybe you just enjoy watching TV! Space is no object with these tools and you can store all your reloading equipment in a Small Tool Bag that anyone has room for.

The Lee Tools have gotten more people into the Reloading Hobby than all other brands combined, all I did was refine the design and make it nicer.

Here's the Evolution of the Lee Hand Press.

Randy
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 100464191.jpg   IMG_0275.jpg   100464227.JPG  
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

I haven't actually tried to resize full sized rifle brass with mine -- think I'm gonna have to see how it does.

At any rate, a traveling guy could fit the press and all accessories for a couple different cartridges into a medium GI ammo can. It would be a heavy little package, but no worse than a can full of ammo. jd
    It seems that people who do almost nothing, often complain loudly when it's time to do it.

Boolit Master
    Mine sits beside my recliner here. I can deprime 500-600 cases in an evening. I'm just out of clean brass at the moment. Need to get the tumbler going.

I have a small tool box I keep it in with primers and whatever powder I'm going to load with and the other small tools.

Boolit Master
    My Lee universal decapper has a permanent home in my Lee hand press. I deprime all my cases prior to giving them a trip in the crushed walnut for 2 hours. Keeps all the debris off the bench mounted presses. Bought the press here maybe 10 years ago, the Lee decapper still has the original decapping rod.
    Take a kid to the range, you'll both be glad you did.

Boolit Master
    I have 2 but I don't use them much. They work very well and I have sized a few different larger rifle cases without issues. I hold the press in my hands between my knees and use arms and legs to push the handles together. It makes sizing the big cases easy.

I have one and haven’t used it for a few years but at one time I used to take it with me to the range when working up strait walled calibers. When there was no wind and no one else to distract me I could load 3-4 shells shoot them and then try another load and really get a lot done with that hand press. I also have several of the Lee hand priming tools. I think I paid $ 10 for the hand press and it’s been worth every penny.

Jedman

Boolit Master
    I have used nothing but the Lee Hand Press, for something like 25 years (the entire length of time I've been handloading). For all types of brass, even converting 30/06 to 8mm Mauser and pulling down military 5.56, to reuse the components, etc., etc. Never needed a stationary press, so I never got one....

I've got one, but have purchased four. Kept giving them away to new reloaders as a great beginner's tool. A big step up from the old Lee Loader whack-a-mole. My only complaint, or perhaps preference, is that the latest model uses bushings with interrupted threads to rapidly change dies. A good idea, but in practice when using them if they turn just a little suddenly the bushing and die are pushed upward and out, and you have to stop and push them back into the press and turn them a bit to re-engage the threads. The tolerances need to be a bit tighter to prevent this unwanted turning. So my preference is the original model where the dies have to be screwed in and out. Not much of an inconvenience if one batch reloads, as you don't change dies that often. A couple of winters ago when it was too cold to work out in the shop I sat right here in front of the computer and loaded 1,200 rounds of pistol ammo. You can full length resize rifle brass, but I prefer doing that on the Rockchucker.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IM006156.jpg 
Views:	38 
Size:	61.1 KB 
ID:	285658

DG

Banned

I bought one quite a while back and never regretted it.

Quote Originally Posted by Der Gebirgsjager View Post
    My only complaint, or perhaps preference, is that the latest model uses bushings with interrupted threads to rapidly change dies. A good idea, but in practice when using them if they turn just a little suddenly the bushing and die are pushed upward and out, and you have to stop and push them back into the press and turn them a bit to re-engage the threads. The tolerances need to be a bit tighter to prevent this unwanted turning. So my preference is the original model where the dies have to be screwed in and out. Not much of an inconvenience if one batch reloads, as you don't change dies that often.

DG
    I agree. Quick change bushings are nice enough in fixed presses, but in hand presses make for too many moving parts in too many positions.
    The first purpose of the Second Amendment is too often overlooked, fostering a liberty of mind and action necessary in the people of a free republic.

“Ironically, the only gun control in 19th century England was the policy forbidding police to have arms while on duty.”
    ~ Don B. Kates, Jr.

Boolit Grand Master
    what tankgunner59 and Landy88 said. A quick lock on a Hand press makes about as much sense as a spoiler on a Model T Ford… it might work, but its utility is negligible.

Froggie
    "It aint easy being green!"

It wouldn't be the first time that Lee has taken one of their great ideas, and ummmmm "improved"it. jd

I think the next time I need to size a bunch of bullets, I'm gonna try the hand press. jd

Quote Originally Posted by Green Frog View Post
    what tankgunner59 and Landy88 said. A quick lock on a Hand press makes about as much sense as a spoiler on a Model T Ford… it might work, but its utility is negligible.

Froggie
    OK; if you haven't looked an my video which I have sent you several times you wouldn't know that a Quick Change system on a hand press makes perfect sense.

If you are doing short runs it makes more sense. When loading pistol rounds there is 5 die changes. In my video I loaded 5 .44 Magnum rounds in 8 minutes including talking about the process. I sell more LNL Hand presses than regular ones.so there must be something to it.

Here's the video again,,, Watch it! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xEpYQMdnxHY&t=9s

And Damn it Froggy,,, when are you gonna buy one?

As far as Spoilers on Model T's,,, Happens all the time.

Randy
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Model T Dragster.jpg  
    Last edited by W.R.Buchanan; 07-06-2021 at 04:15 PM.
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast