Load DataRotoMetals2RepackboxLee Precision
Inline FabricationReloading EverythingTitan ReloadingWideners
MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Lee Hand Press

I use a hand press occasionally. I enjoy it. I mostly use it outside. I’ll take all I need and go out and set on a stump or wherever and load a box. Loading without a table or work surface other than the ground.

I’ve not tried the randy Cadillac of hand presses. But I have a very good thought process, and I cannot figure any way it would be easier than a lee, if given the stipulation that you didn’t have a work surface to set it on.

I’d like a lee hand press, at the quality of a Buchanan.
    Last edited by Bazoo; 09-22-2021 at 06:13 PM.

You need to revise your thought process to revolve around actually using one.

Then you'd see what the difference is.

Randy
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

Boolit Grand Master
    I thought of this thread when I saw this item on flea Bay. Did somebody here get it! It cost them about twice what I bought mine for about 6-7 years ago, but it was still a pretty good deal.

Froggie
    Last edited by Red River Rick; 12-02-2021 at 07:20 PM.
    "It aint easy being green!"

Boolit Mold
    I've had one for years. handy for doing small batches of things.

Banned
    anyone actually get the quick change bushings to actually work....

Boolit Buddy
    The quick change works just fine. Great for experimental loading a few a a time.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by oldcanadice View Post
    The quick change works just fine. Great for experimental loading a few a a time.
    then your the lucky one. on MINE,,, it worked twice. and then jammed up solid sure i dont mind unscrewing each die, but i got a bushing for every die.. $$$$$

Boolit Buddy
    Not arguing; just curious. How did you insert it so it got jammed up? On mine, when you set the ring in the right place so the holding-pin will snap up to index it there is still a minute amount of play -- kind of helps the die line up like when you use just an o ring on a regular press.

Boolit Master

Southern Middle Tennessee/ Hillsboro Alabama
    I used mine to load two batches of .32 Remington this week . I have had it since they came out , bought the first one I saw . It's like a 310 that will FL resize . What's not to love ? I think everybody needs one .
    Grumpy Old Man With A Gun....... Do Not Touch !!

Boolit Master

I have 3 with dedicated older outdated dies for my pistol shot shell endeavors. The first one bought in 1979 as a step up from my whack a mole loaders. Once I had real dies a single stage was next and let the clam set for decades as I accumulated more progressives. Then at a gun show several years ago I bought 2 more brand new in their boxes for 10.00 ea. Thinking I would gift them someday to a noobie who would want to learn the hobby. Yeah, Right every noobie I have encountered so far just talks about getting some big blue machine they plug in the wall and watch it spit out free ammo I enjoy those clams. Its the only way you can go true portable if need be. Especially for .38 and .22 Hornet
    “You should tell someone what you know. There should be a history, so that men can learn from it.

He smiled. “Men do not learn from history. Each generation believes itself brighter than the last, each believes it can survive the mistakes of the older ones. Each discovers each old thing and they throw up their hands and say ‘See! Look what I have found! Look upon what I know!’ And each believes it is something new.

Louis L’Amour

The Californios

Boolit Buddy
    The Lee Hand Press is how I started about 18 months ago. Has been great for 22 Hornet, 45-70, and 9mm. I don't find any of the steps to be too hard with it, even FL-resizing 45-70 cases. Sometimes you have to press it against your knee but that's not too bad. I like being able to knock out a few minutes of reloading anywhere in the house after the kids go to bed.

Boolit Mold
    I reload in batches and the hand press is darn convenient. I listen to books on CD during the mechanical operations like depriming, expanding the case mouth, and bullet seating. (I typically use an RCBS universal priming tool but the Lee ram prime works surprisingly well and faster than I thought it would.) This also gives me a chance to check each case for splits, etc. It's a win-win. I get to listen to wonderful books and feed my reloading habit at the same time.

Two things. When dispensing the powder charge I don't have any distractions. Charging is serious business. And after three surgeries this year the hand press, easy as it is to use, helps get a little upper body strength back.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123