RotoMetals2Inline FabricationReloading EverythingLee Precision
Snyders JerkyLoad DataWidenersRepackbox
Titan Reloading MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Buckshot Choke

Boolit Master

Buckshot Choke

I shoot the .310 pellets from one of miha's molds. They fit nicely in many different shot cups, either stacks of two or three. I'm really surprised at how well these loads respond to the full choke. 40 years ago it seemed open bores worked the best. What are you finding for a favorite choke shooting the larger pellets?

Boolit Master
    I load buckshot for guns that do not have screw in chokes and most are choked rather tight . I keep buckshot in all sizes from #3 up to and including 000000 . And true many have said for years larger buck in open chokes and the smaller sizes in tighter . I’ve found best procedure is to try it on paper . I’ve got a fleet of 10 gauge guns that are tight and tighter yet that have done very well with 0000 and 00000 . The 000000 is for my 8 gauge guns only as it doesn’t stack at all in a 10 gauge hull . Anyway if your gun has screw ins try them all you just might be surprised .
    Parker's , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines

Boolit Master
    I have been trying them all. Stacking by two's shoots a little tighter groups than the stacking by three's

Boolit Master
    My recovered wads were really chewed up tighter than a modified choke. At cylinder the wad was intact. At modified the petals had small holes where the shot was positioned. Tighter chokes had petals mangled or missing. Shot pattern was bigger too. Depends on your expected target distance what will work for you.

Boolit Master
    Interesting isn't it. I'm thinking powder charge(big or medium) has alot to do with it. I'm working with 16 pellet loads of .30 and 14 pellet loads of .31 in a MG-42 wad. With the middle of the road charges I recover the wad intact, larger charges blow them up. Using full choke ported choke tube.

Boolit Master
    Bluedot put a whooping on the wads but Reddot was clean in the barrel, and on the wad and hull.

Boolit Grand Master

I have a Lee 00 buck mould and a bunch of shot I cast with it for my 12 ga. but haven't loaded any yet.

Do you guys use plastic wads, load buckshot over wad column (no shotcup) or both?

Depending on buckshot size and shotcup petal thickness it appears that with shotcup 00 buckshot will stack in two's and without shotcup it will stack in three's. I'd figure better to stack in three's but does deformation against the bore ruin patterns?

Longbow

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Peabody View Post
    I have been trying them all. Stacking by two's shoots a little tighter groups than the stacking by three's
    I meant try the different chokes . You can also check loads in a shot cup vs loads with a gas seal and a mylar or Teflon wrap for slightly more side to side room .

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by longbow View Post
    I have a Lee 00 buck mould and a bunch of shot I cast with it for my 12 ga. but haven't loaded any yet.

Do you guys use plastic wads, load buckshot over wad column (no shotcup) or both?

Depending on buckshot size and shotcup petal thickness it appears that with shotcup 00 buckshot will stack in two's and without shotcup it will stack in three's. I'd figure better to stack in three's but does deformation against the bore ruin patterns?

Longbow
    I pretty much settled on 0 in a shot cup for the 12 gauge . However in the 10 gauge I’ve done a bunch of different things . Use the SP-10 whole with buck up to 00 . Larger then 00 I usually trim the petals off the SP-10 put a mylar wrap in over the base of the SP-10 then fit whatever size be it 000 , 0000 or 00000 . After I get them placed and pushed down I put in I think it’s 3.2cc of Grex from a Lee dipper . Not saying it’s the best but it meets my parameters snd objectives .

My Browning Buck Special Barrel has a IC choke and it patterns all forms of shot well. It also shoots slugs well. My Vang Comped Barrels shoot OO into 7" at 25 yards and those barrels have been back bored to .745 and then choke down to .730 at the muzzle, which seems kinda like an IC choke too.

Sika: you can say "4/0, 5/0 and 6/0" and save some key strokes, and we won't have to count the Zeros.

I lose track after 3

Randy
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

Boolit Mold
    With screw in chokes the Extra Full chokes, .685./.690 diameter, seem to be the best performers for everything from 0 Buckshot to Tri-Ball.

With the smaller buckshot sizes from #4 Buckshot to #1 Buckshot, .675/.680 diameter perform the best.

Of the various specialty chokes, the Kicks Buck Kicker has been stellar.

Just my .02,
    LeonCarr

I have a Kicks buckkicker full for a 10 gauge and the first loads that went through it put 16, 00 buck in a 10" circle at 30 yards. Stacks of 2 in a bpi multimetal wad.
    Oh great, another thread that makes me spend money.

Boolit Master
    Thanks Leon, I use a Bucks Kicker Xfull in one of my 12's

Boolit Grand Master

In the testing I have done, it is very uncommon for a looser choke to pattern tighter than a tighter one. A full choke, something around .040" constriction generally provides as tight of a pattern as you are going to get. Maybe an IM might pattern tighter here and there, but you will be hard pressed to come up with a load that will pattern tighter in a modified than a full.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by LeonCarr View Post
    With screw in chokes the Extra Full chokes, .685./.690 diameter, seem to be the best performers for everything from 0 Buckshot to Tri-Ball.

With the smaller buckshot sizes from #4 Buckshot to #1 Buckshot, .675/.680 diameter perform the best.

Of the various specialty chokes, the Kicks Buck Kicker has been stellar.

Just my .02,
    LeonCarr
    I bought all three sizes of the BuckKicker for my Benelli Montefeltro 12 ga 3” and they do very well or atleast so far with factory 3” loads .

I don't reload buckshot so my experience has been with factory ammo. My best results have been in an 870 Remington Express with the Remchoke Modified and W-W 000 copper plated. The patterns were round and denser than full or imp chokes. I took 10 or 12 deer with that combination and it is a hammer as long as you don't try to make a long range shot. I used it on dog drives and the deer were hauling butt most of the time but I don't remember having to shoot one 2 times.
    IT AINT what ya shoot--its how ya shoot it. NONE of us are as smart as ALL of us!

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by megasupermagnum View Post
    In the testing I have done, it is very uncommon for a looser choke to pattern tighter than a tighter one. A full choke, something around .040" constriction generally provides as tight of a pattern as you are going to get. Maybe an IM might pattern tighter here and there, but you will be hard pressed to come up with a load that will pattern tighter in a modified than a full.
    Does that apply to stacking 00 buck in layers of two in shotcup or layers of three with no shotcup or both?

With regards to stacking in two's or three's... I can fit a layer of three 00 buckshot through a 12 ga. bore fine but when they get to a 0.690" choke they do not fit so I have to think that if shot in say three layers of three that the 00 buckshot would deform quite a bit when swaged through the choke as I assume the pellets would be held in place by acceleration and mass above except for the top layer. So at least two layers of a three x three load would be fairly badly distorted. Is that true?

If loaded in a shotcup they stack in layers of two but have the petals as cushions against the bore and choke so the pellets should be able to squeeze through the choke without as much distortion. If the pellets aren't as distorted they should pattern better shouldn't they?

If true then for cylinder bore layers of three 00 buck pellets should be fine and layers of two in a shotcup for a choke would be better? Am I way off base?

Longbow

Boolit Master
    I think you've hit on a good point. I'm having better results at 50 yards stacking by two's and using the tighter coke.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by longbow View Post
    Does that apply to stacking 00 buck in layers of two in shotcup or layers of three with no shotcup or both?

With regards to stacking in two's or three's... I can fit a layer of three 00 buckshot through a 12 ga. bore fine but when they get to a 0.690" choke they do not fit so I have to think that if shot in say three layers of three that the 00 buckshot would deform quite a bit when swaged through the choke as I assume the pellets would be held in place by acceleration and mass above except for the top layer. So at least two layers of a three x three load would be fairly badly distorted. Is that true?

If loaded in a shotcup they stack in layers of two but have the petals as cushions against the bore and choke so the pellets should be able to squeeze through the choke without as much distortion. If the pellets aren't as distorted they should pattern better shouldn't they?

If true then for cylinder bore layers of three 00 buck pellets should be fine and layers of two in a shotcup for a choke would be better? Am I way off base?

Longbow
    You have to remember that a full choke is only .040" constriction, and even with a 2 stack is only .020" per pellet, and it only amounts to a dimple on each side. In the grand scheme of things, it is rather small. That is assuming you have a perfect tight fit to begin with, which in a 12 gauge would be stacks of 2's .365" balls. Since 000 buck is .360", that's .010" less for deformation. I have shot 0000 buck (.380") in 12 gauge, but never could get it to shoot without tearing up the hull. If deformation from the choke was a factor, a cylinder bore would shoot tightest, but it does not. I have seen some wicked patterns with the Federal flight control wad buckshot in a cylinder bore, but I have never shot any myself.

For whatever reason I can't explain, stacks of 3's rarely work out. I think I did have a load with 2 buck in 16 gauge that did work very well. It could have stacked in 4's, I'd have to try it again. I want to say it was in 3's. It patterns tighter from my modified choke barrel, than my IC choke barrel. I don't have a full choke to try in 16 gauge.

The problem with recovered shot, is there is no way to know where that shot started out. If you pick up two shot, one being more distorted, how can you know for sure which was on bottom, and which was on top? You can theorize the distorted one was on bottom, but you can't prove it. That said, I have shot enough patterns to prove to myself that less distorted shot does pattern better. I've found this with chilled vs magnum shot with turkey loads, and I've found this with soft lead vs hard lead buckshot. If you recover soft buckshot, Hornady loads soft buckshot, they look like pyramids after firing. They also don't pattern well at all. Then take your own quenched cast buckshot, and you will see they are slightly distorted, but mostly round with a few dimples on them.

Boolit Bub
    The folks that always pushed open chokes for buckshot must have been using it for home defense. in the south, we have been shooting buckshot through full choked guns forever.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast