Reloading EverythingWidenersTitan ReloadingInline Fabrication
MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Price of 2x4

Boolit Grand Master

Price of 2x4

I had to pick up some 2x4x8 yesterday.
    Talk about sticker shock.
    I ended up getting untreated at $8.50 per.
    One place had treated for $15.00 per.
    I sure hope the price comes down soon.

Boolit Grand Master

$10 for one here. How are they cheaper where you are? I bought 3 2x10x16 PT yesterday to finish the deck after a redesign. $60 each up over $20 from a month ago.
    I Am Descended From Men Who Would Not Be Ruled

Fiat Justitia, Ruat Caelum

Boolit Master
    Lumber prices were reported to have fallen 40% in June. Guess the retailers have not heard.
    "If everyone is thinking the same thing it means someone is not thinking"

"A rat became the unit of currency"

Quote Originally Posted by Cosmic_Charlie View Post
    Lumber prices were reported to have fallen 40% in June. Guess the retailers have not heard.
    I work for a lumber store, and --- things are crazy. It hurts pretty bad to sell 2x4's for thirty percent less than ya paid for them last week.

We've got about a thousand sheets of OSB that we're gonna be selling at probably a twenty dollar or more loss per sheet. jd
    It seems that people who do almost nothing, often complain loudly when it's time to do it.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Cosmic_Charlie View Post
    Lumber FUTURES went down 40%. Current orders, made at current prices, will be filled by the mills in Sept-Oct. I suspect that inflated pricing will be with us until Fall-Winter.

Boolit Grand Master

What has happened to the cost of metal studs ?
    After Hurricane Katrina just about everything needed re-building, wood wall studs were expensive , then in short supply then non existent ... some of the builders went to using metal studs . heavy ga. ones in load bearing walls and lighter gauge in the non-load bearing partition walls ...
    So what has happened to their cost ...if a contractor wanted to use metal studs ... cost through the roof and in short supply also ?
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Boolit Master
    just like the price of beef it more than doubled and bean counters that write for google are saying prices are up by 3 percent.
    and the worst thing about both of these necessary items is that the ranchers and loggers are not making a penny more than they were making two years ago.
    all the big time extra profit is going to the processors and distributors and I guess some to the retailers

Boolit Buddy
    The geniuses who calculate inflation figures for the government don’t factor in food or fuel for some reason. I guess they figure eating and transportation are optional for us.

Boolit Master
    Hoodat has it right. Retailers really hate to sell something for less than they paid for it. In a declining market lumber companies are going to have minimal lumber on hand. If you want to build something and need lots of lumber, lumber yards will be happy to order it for you but you will pay today's price not some lesser amount they may be in the future.

Same here. Had to build a small shed this spring and ended up using some Black Locust posts from the back 40 and got rough cut from a local Amish mill for less than half of what Lowe’s wanted for untreated 2x4’s. And they are true 2x4. Plywood is also crazy. Find some rough cut locally.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by PNW_Steve View Post
    Lumber FUTURES went down 40%. Current orders, made at current prices, will be filled by the mills in Sept-Oct. I suspect that inflated pricing will be with us until Fall-Winter.
    Yup. You can't sell things for less than you paid for them and remain the in business.

Just paid $15 each for 25 5/4 6x16ft. Got frowned on for picking through the pile. Too bad, for that price you bet I'm selecting
    I Am Descended From Men Who Would Not Be Ruled

Fiat Justitia, Ruat Caelum

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Buzz Krumhunger View Post
    The geniuses who calculate inflation figures for the government don’t factor in food or fuel for some reason. I guess they figure eating and transportation are optional for us.
    The method of calculating CPI and what it includes is published on the BLS's website somewhere, I'm sure. It includes a basket of goods typically purchased by a family of four. Nobody ever claimed that it was a perfect measure of inflation. I used to tell my students that prices were so hard to quantify and measure that if they each wanted to come up with a new measure of inflation, all of them could earn a Ph.D from any university economics department in America for publishing their method. To date, I don't think any of my students have done so, but I hope you get the idea.

I doubt that many of us understand the cause -- or even the definition of inflation. I imagine that the reasons have many variables. Probably the simplest reason for it is our dollar becoming diluted. Ya just can't print trillions of funny money dollars, inject them into the economy, and have a dollar retain the same value. jd
    It seems that people who do almost nothing, often complain loudly when it's time to do it.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by downzero View Post
    The method of calculating CPI and what it includes is published on the BLS's website somewhere, I'm sure. It includes a basket of goods typically purchased by a family of four. Nobody ever claimed that it was a perfect measure of inflation. I used to tell my students that prices were so hard to quantify and measure that if they each wanted to come up with a new measure of inflation, all of them could earn a Ph.D from any university economics department in America for publishing their method. To date, I don't think any of my students have done so, but I hope you get the idea.
    So why was the "market basket of goodies" changed during the reagan years. Did he and his earn a Ph.D?
    West of Beaver Dick's Ferry.

Boolit Buddy
    keep seeing wood prices go up, need some in the future and kinda looking at some of those one person saw mills......anyone else looked at them ???

Way stupid prices. Southern yellow pine stumpage is down not up. Mills in the south never stopped. Treating plants didn't stop. but prices went through the roof. No reason. But greed. When I can buy a western cedar post for the same price as junk treated syp something is wrong

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    I think a lot of this has to do with the gov't promising everything to the soon-to-be new citizens. Domestic and foreign investors know there will be a surge on housing demands. Locally the investors are buying up every scrap of unimproved land they can locate. They are even reaching out to land owners and making a pitch for land that is not even listed as "for sale". After all our new residents will have to live somewhere. Gov't subsidized housing is new gold mine and those of us who want (or need) to improve what we already have are caught in the inflation trap. Problem going away any time soon. Don't think so.

Boolit Grand Master bedbugbilly's Avatar
    You guys need to stop complaining . . . . Biden's got EVERYTHING under control . . . . obviously you didn't listen very well yesterday when he announced that the price of a baroque sandwich had dropped 15 cents sine last year . . . and "his" people even had a chart to prove it!

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Buzz Krumhunger View Post
    During Donald Trumps years in office I started seeing an increase in my Social Security check for Cost of Living expenses ... something the Dems/Left don't believe in giving us .
    I had never seen a cost of living increase untill then ... His people count inflation and I like the way his bean counters count/treat us .
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by bedbugbilly View Post
    You guys need to stop complaining . . . . Biden's got EVERYTHING under control . . . . obviously you didn't listen very well yesterday when he announced that the price of a baroque sandwich had dropped 15 cents sine last year . . . and "his" people even had a chart to prove it!
    I think he had a chart that showed a pkg. of hot dogs was cheaper this year $0.16
    But that 16 cent hot dog isn't near about offsetting the increase of a gallon of gasoline ...
    ... He didn't want to talk about that , among other things ... I'm beginning to dislike that man.
    Certified Cajun
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast