RepackboxRotoMetals2Inline FabricationLee Precision
MidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingReloading EverythingWideners
Load Data
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Anybody else try the One Stroke Gas Check Maker from 22reloader?

Boolit Mold
    I got my One Stroke check maker yesterday and my .014 aluminum today. Mine is for .44 gas checks. Started out badly. The 1st or 2nd check punched gets stuck on the bottom half of the die. I have to use a steel pick (similar to a dentist pick) to get the thing off. It's hard to notice the check stuck on there and any subsequent checks punched on top of that stuck check are sheared off with no sides. I've sent emails to Brian and I hope he backs this one up with one that works. I tried lubing the dies and aluminum strips with WD40, which did nothing. I heated the strips to around 575F, and that did nothing either. I believe the mandrel inside the bottom half that the check is formed around is either too thick or needs chamfering. I would have hoped that they tested these things before shipping them out.

Boolit Mold
    Try wiping forming mandrel with scocht bright pad to get it clean AND dry, wipe your material dry as well… when check is formed depending on material thickness the checks will “hydraulic” lock to mandrel if oily. As well put a small mark with a sharpie on top of forming mandrel so it is easy to see if check has been in fact stripped off.

Boolit Master

My guess on things not extracting from the forming pin is short stroking the press. The formed skirt has to be moved past the lip in the die where it springs open and catches the lip. The pin can then be pulled out, leaving the check in the die. Inconsistent skirt height can be caused by the forming pin engaging the blank before the blank is fully punched out. There should be about 0.010" travel to the forming pin after the disc is fully punched. All the die clearances have to be set for the type and alloy of material being punched. Too soft or too hard will be a problem.

Boolit Mold
    Pretty sure I'm not short stroking the press. Pushed down on it so hard I cracked the bench top (corian countertop). I'm leaning toward the possibility that the lip that catches the check is too far up in the cutter to catch the checks consistently. It caught a very few (6 to be exact) but misses most. Brian is sending me another one, so we will see.

Boolit Mold
    Upon further examination of the inside of the punch, I noticed 2 steps. The first step was down where the formed check should be caught by the lip on the inside of the punch. The second step was farther up in the bore. The inside diameter at the top of the punch is .048" larger than the diameter below the check catching lip. I could not measure the diameter just above the lip, but I believe that the lip is not large enough to snag a check consistently and that the larger diameter should have been continued down to the lip. This would have made an area large enough above the lip to catch the check and pull it off of the forming mandrel. Idz, I looked at your drawings for your check maker and didn't notice the 2 steps in the bore of the punch. I noticed only the 1/64th step to catch the check. I will inspect the new check maker when it arrives to see how the punch is bored.

Boolit Mold
    Update on the One Stroke check maker. My replacement works great! I've punched out 500 or so aluminum checks, heated them in my toaster oven (my thermometer says about 575F) for a couple hours, and they go on and stay put. I'm a happy camper, so far. On the original check maker, I think that the punch is fine, but the forming pin is either too rough or a little oversized. I tried the replacement punch (top half) with the original forming pin (bottom half) and it did not work either.

Boolit Master

Take a set of calipers to your local DIY store that sells rolls of aluminum flashing. Most of it averages .014" to .017" thick.
    Once cut into 7/16" strips, it will make a LOT of 30 caliber checks using Pat Marlin's Checkmaker. Don't know about other sizes.
    Lead Forever!

The 2nd amendment was never intended to allow private citizens to 'keep and bear arms.' If it had, there would have been wording such as 'the right of the People to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed. -Ken Konecki, July 27, 1992

John Galt was here.

"Politics is the art of postponing an answer until it is no longer relevant". (From the movie 'Red Tails')

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12