Lee PrecisionRepackboxLoad DataMidSouth Shooters Supply
WidenersTitan ReloadingInline FabricationReloading Everything
RotoMetals2
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anybody else try the One Stroke Gas Check Maker from 22reloader?

Anybody else try the One Stroke Gas Check Maker from 22reloader?

I got one for 35 and using .01” copper sheet it make terrible checks. One side is arrest he’s out and tinkled all the way around. I can get a response from them.

What are people using that can work on a standard press without having to buy a separate press?

Boolit Man
    It looks like Idz's "easy to build check maker"?

Boolit Buddy
    Could you take some pictures so we can see what you see? I can't make out what is wrong from your description . This die is used on a standard press .It should work on most of them. The heaver the better though as this is a brute force operation. Have you tried any aluminum? Do you lube your strips ? I used to do that when I was making gas checks.

Boolit Mold
    I think for .35 you need .012-.014 material. As well copper is “sticky” and won’t shear as well as aluminum. I have found with one step makers that resting the punch on top of the material and the tapping the handle with a soft faced mallet forms the check the best and far less prolonged stress on everything, including my arm!

Boolit Master
    I have made a couple using the IDZ plans. 30 cal drink can and 30 cal for Aluminum flashing. They both work great with the right thickness material. Effort is not bad at all.
    Last edited by P Flados; 07-04-2021 at 10:32 PM.

When trying to contact them use the contact form on their website https://sharpshooter-22lr-reloader.m...e#contact_form. They say it is the quickest way to get a response. I'm having a similar problem with a 9mm/357 check maker. It cuts the skirt or part that goes up the side of the bullet on an angle. That makes one side of it too long to fit in the recess for the check on the bullet.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	GetAttachmentThumbnail.jpg 
Views:	97 
Size:	67.2 KB 
ID:	286780

I have used the form to request a swap for the check maker. Will let you know how that goes.
    While I work at it, it is by God's grace that it happens. So it is best I ask him what, how and when before I start..

Boolit Buddy
    Well That is very bad.Not even close to being ok. Is the punch a real loose fit to the die body. It almost has to be to do this.

Boolit Buddy
    I have one in 44. I think your problem is that your material is too thin so it distorts as the cutting/forming ram comes up. I use .014" aluminium and checks are ok. I've tried can material for fun, and that is wildly distorted too.

Got a message from Brian today. New check maker headed my way so he is standing by his product.

Schmidt:
    Doesn't seem to be. But that is an unmeasured statement. And it seems that the taller side is being cut on the same side of the die each time. So it may be a bit out of round.

oldcanadice:
    That is probably not the problem. I have their 44 cutter and it works well on the same material.
    While I work at it, it is by God's grace that it happens. So it is best I ask him what, how and when before I start..

Quote Originally Posted by Avenger442 View Post
    When trying to contact them use the contact form on their website https://sharpshooter-22lr-reloader.m...e#contact_form. They say it is the quickest way to get a response. I'm having a similar problem with a 9mm/357 check maker. It cuts the skirt or part that goes up the side of the bullet on an angle. That makes one side of it too long to fit in the recess for the check on the bullet.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	GetAttachmentThumbnail.jpg 
Views:	97 
Size:	67.2 KB 
ID:	286780

I have used the form to request a swap for the check maker. Will let you know how that goes.
    That’s exactly the problem I’m having. I’ve tried copper and aluminum but so far the only thing I can find is .010 thickness. I haven’t tried any rain diverter aluminum yet which I may have to. I actually got the guy to send me a second 35 gas check maker and while it doesn’t tear the one side quite as bad it is still present and not acceptable as far as I’m concerned. Nothing less than a perfect Gas check will be acceptable for a punch that cost $100 per caliber. So are the free checks devices not being made anymore? There’s no sign of them on eBay

Quote Originally Posted by oldcanadice View Post
    I have one in 44. I think your problem is that your material is too thin so it distorts as the cutting/forming ram comes up. I use .014" aluminium and checks are ok. I've tried can material for fun, and that is wildly distorted too.
    Please tell us exactly what material you’re using and where are you got it from that measures .014 inches. Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mkj4him View Post
    Please tell us exactly what material you’re using and where are you got it from that measures .014 inches. Thanks
    Don't remember the thickness of the alu. But don't think that is the problem since the 44 check maker makes a decent chek with it. I mean it is not like you get from Hornady but better than some of another supplier's aluminum check. Got some that suck from them. But they carry a decent copper check.

I bought my FreeChex II 30 cal. years ago. It makes a good alu. check. I think there was a version III. I haven't seen them offered in years. Used to be on Ebay. Don't like the use of an arbor press to use it. Would have been great if that guy had offered one to use in a press.

And for you guys that suggest I make my own. That's kind of for guys that own or have access to a mill, accessories and stock to cut them out of. Not to mention the learning curve. Would rather spend that $4-5000 on this.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Auto Mag.jpg 
Views:	40 
Size:	29.2 KB 
ID:	286895

Northern Virginia, where the freeway does roam.
    Is that your daily ccw? What cartridge is it chambered for?

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by 358429 View Post
    Is that your daily ccw? What cartridge is it chambered for?

Dirty Harry carried one in the movie Sudden Impact. But I would think it to be kinda bulky for concealed carry. It is the Auto Mag Model 180-D 44 AMP Classic Edition w/8.5" barrel. They make one with a shorter barrel but I'm not sure why, both are really heavy. It cost about $4000 shipped. I believe it is hand made. Which I guess must justify some of the cost. Harry said, “This is the .44 Magnum AutoMag, and it holds a 300 grain cartridge, and if properly used it can remove the fingerprints.” I believe it was the most powerful semi auto hand gun in the 80s. Basically a 44 magnum semi auto.

I don't have the money to get it. It is one of those testosterone fueled man things. Probably would sit in the safe. And now you can get a Desert Eagle in .50 for a lot less.

The gun that he carried the most was a Smith and Wesson Model 29 in 44 magnum. A friend of mine laid out the bucks to get a replica of that gun. It was not as accurate as my Ruger but still a good gun.

Name:	crop_dirtyharry_introslide1.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	48.3 KB 
ID:	286924

Dirty Harry carried one in the movie Sudden Impact. But I would think it to be kinda bulky for concealed carry. It is the Auto Mag Model 180-D 44 AMP Classic Edition w/8.5" barrel. They make one with a shorter barrel but I'm not sure why, both are really heavy. It cost about $4000 shipped. I believe it is hand made. Which I guess must justify some of the cost. Harry said, “This is the .44 Magnum AutoMag, and it holds a 300 grain cartridge, and if properly used it can remove the fingerprints.” I believe it was the most powerful semi auto hand gun in the 80s. Basically a 44 magnum semi auto.

I don't have the money to get it. It is one of those testosterone fueled man things. Probably would sit in the safe. And now you can get a Desert Eagle in .50 for a lot less.

The gun that he carried the most was a Smith and Wesson Model 29 in 44 magnum. A friend of mine laid out the bucks to get a replica of that gun. It was not as accurate as my Ruger but still a good gun.

Name:	crop_dirtyharry_introslide1.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	48.3 KB 
ID:	286924
    Thanks for writing that up and posting the fantastic pictures. I shot a friends compensated heavy sprung coonan once with the same loads that I was shooting from my sp101. It was so much less recoil and so much more Fireball. Group was approximately 1 inch 20 yards . Been aching for an L5 Desert Eagle in 357 Magnum for a while now. You are not helping, posting those pictures

I have a 44 mag Redhawk that I love to shoot.

I noticed you like the .308, too. One of my favorite cartridges. I have four rifles chambered for it. Love the performance when you get the load right for the gun.

Sorry about the temptation to spend your money. I'll try to keep the testosterone down.

Well second check maker for .357/9mm came yesterday. Tried it today and it makes a check as good as alu check from Sage's Outdoors. So I'm good now.

I have a 44 mag Redhawk that I love to shoot.

I noticed you like the .308, too. One of my favorite cartridges. I have four rifles chambered for it. Love the performance when you get the load right for the gun.

Sorry about the temptation to spend your money. I'll try to keep the testosterone down.
    Please, no apologies needed.

Sometimes you gotta transform moneys into fireball and blast wave! Im not kidding! Its therapeutic, i tell ya!

Quote Originally Posted by 358429 View Post
    Please, no apologies needed.

Sometimes you gotta transform moneys into fireball and blast wave! Im not kidding! Its therapeutic, i tell ya!

Yeah. But don't tell my wife I really didn't buy that shot gun for her to use for home defense.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by mkj4him View Post
    Here is a link to some 0.14" aluminum flashing. At 4" wide, the roll is a bit narrow. I just tried some of the same brand that is .011" and it makes uneven cups.

https://www.amazon.com/FLASHING-ALUM.../dp/B0009SQFTS
    "If everyone is thinking the same thing it means someone is not thinking"

"A rat became the unit of currency"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast