Load DataInline FabricationTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters Supply
Lee PrecisionWidenersReloading EverythingRotoMetals2
Repackbox
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Lyman Spartan, vs Texan press

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Ironwrx View Post
    I’m guessing that if you take out, and reinstall the dies by gripping the lock ring instead of the die body, then the setting adjustment will remain intact?
    You've talking about Lee's "O" ring system and you've got me there, it depends. Yeah, gripping Lee's rings instead of the die body works good but you have to be careful when you do it; fat fingered guys like me can easily mess that up.

BUT, we aren't working to B.R. tolerances and it's so easy and fast to reset Lee dies that may have slipped a bit that I just don't worry about it. All other die brands have some way to firmly clamp the lock rings in place.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by ndnchf View Post
    FWIW - I use the spartan for smaller cartridges and primer seating. Parts can still be found for them, which is a big plus. I really like it.
    Good point. And Lyman's Spartan/Spar-T presses had a brass tube auto feeder for primers that worked right all the time, unlike the cheeper copy cat alum tube feeders big green marketed.

I have to say +1 on the "don't get rid of a good press". If you have a dedicated loading room and don't want to set up all three...mount a shelf near the ceiling but low enough to accommodate the tallest press and use them for decorations.
    A vote for anyone other then the conservative candidates is a vote for the liberal candidates.

Boolit Master
    Good point. And (pardon my naïvety, as a new Reloader) I’m guessing that if you take out, and reinstall the dies by gripping the lock ring instead of the die body, then the setting adjustment will remain intact?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Many of the die nuts come with set screws to lock the position. Another method is to use 2 nuts tightened together to save your setting.

I bought a few set screw nuts and used the nuts from those dies to double nut the others.
    Mal

Mal Paso means Bad Pass, just so you know.

Boolit Master
    In my OPINION, split lock rings with a clamping screw like those Forster/Hornady use are by far the best ring design. They lock positive but total release is easy and they can't jack up the die body threads like stupid (cheep) set screws do; what's not to love?

Banned

Actually you are 1/2 right. The Texan HANDLE is aluminum alloy. The rest is cast iron and heavy at that (even with the alloy handle, it weighs in a pound heavier than the Spartan). Maybe this is an early Texan being that it is cast iron. I do think I’ll end up keeping all the presses for the time being so I can leave some set up for priming /hardness testing etc.

I'm not familar with Texan presses, but what do you suppose was their reasoning making it with an aluminum handle? Seems like besides being the weak point in the whole thing, it would also have been the easiest part to make with just a piece of steel round bar stock like the other two presses. Odd.

It is a cool old press, though, and I fully agree with the consensus to keep all three. But then, I have a bunch of old single stage presses, they seem to follow me home like stray puppies.

Quote Originally Posted by richhodg66 View Post
    I'm not familar with Texan presses, but what do you suppose was their reasoning making it with an aluminum handle? Seems like besides being the weak point in the whole thing, it would also have been the easiest part to make with just a piece of steel round bar stock like the other two presses. Odd.

It is a cool old press, though, and I fully agree with the consensus to keep all three. But then, I have a bunch of old single stage presses, they seem to follow me home like stray puppies.
    One feature that seems to be prominent on this press is that the handle is offset to the right (presumably to open the working parts up to better access). I’m guessing it is less expensive to cast aluminum parts than cast Iron and for general purpose reloading work. It is probably easier to cast an offset arm than to forge a steel one in that shape.

Boolit Master
    Pound for pound, aluminum is said to be stronger than steel. That press arm is quite beefy, I doubt it's much of a weak point.

Don't forget that the Rock Chuck press has the removable bushing/nut, that allows you to use larger dies for bullet swagging and such. With bushing removed, you've got 1 1/4" threads to use for whatever. I think one of the original selling points for that press was as a bullet swagging unit.

That bushing can also be removed to install the RCBS Piggyback Progressive unit. (a Rube Goldberg version of progressive loading)

If you have a moral or psychological problem with "Big Green", you can always special order the "RCBS Yaller Series" press. jd

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	100_5065.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	87.0 KB 
ID:	285619
    It seems that people who do almost nothing, often complain loudly when it's time to do it.

Banned
    I have a moral or psychological problem with "Big Yellow", what my eyes have seen cannot be unseen.

Banned

Agreed. That just looks weird.

Quote Originally Posted by Pressman View Post
    I have a moral or psychological problem with "Big Yellow", what my eyes have seen cannot be unseen.
    Yes, but you must admit, it would fit in with the grader, payloader, and bulldozer when you’re on the job site doing reloading.

Agreed. That just looks weird.
    I agree. It def. needs a yellow handle grip.

Yes, but you must admit, it would fit in with the grader, payloader, and bulldozer when you’re on the job site doing reloading.

Name:	100_5049 copy.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	76.9 KB 
ID:	285670 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	100_5057 copy.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	88.9 KB 
ID:	285671

That's what happens when I've got a bead blaster and a can of yellow equipment enamel.

I've got three or four of those RCBS Reloader Specials that I picked up for next to nuthin, and I'm thinking of making one red, and one blue. Then I could put a note in each die box saying which press they're adjusted for. I'll have to see what I can do about the hand grip. jd
    It seems that people who do almost nothing, often complain loudly when it's time to do it.

Quote Originally Posted by hoodat View Post

Name:	100_5049 copy.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	76.9 KB 
ID:	285670 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	100_5057 copy.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	88.9 KB 
ID:	285671

That's what happens when I've got a bead blaster and a can of yellow equipment enamel.

I've got three or four of those RCBS Reloader Specials that I picked up for next to nuthin, and I'm thinking of making one red, and one blue. Then I could put a note in each die box saying which press they're adjusted for. I'll have to see what I can do about the hand grip. jd
    I was just foolin’. I actually think it looks great.

Boolit Master
    After the beed blast, what about a clear coat ?

Might start a new trend of “No Color presses” !

Mike

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by 1hole View Post
    In my OPINION, split lock rings with a clamping screw like those Forster/Hornady use are by far the best ring design. They lock positive but total release is easy and they can't jack up the die body threads like stupid (cheep) set screws do; what's not to love?
    One way not to mess up the threads with set screws is to remove the set screw put in a couple #8 lead BB’s and replace the screw. This way the steel screw never contacts the die threads but holds its setting.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by jetinteriorguy View Post
    One way not to mess up the threads with set screws is to remove the set screw put in a couple #8 lead BB’s and replace the screw. This way the steel screw never contacts the die threads but holds its setting.
    Yeah, but it also smears lead into the threads, rendering the the threads tight and the ring very hard to move. I prefer a small piece of copper from an electrical line.
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

Now, I want some opinions on whether to keep the Spartan, or the Texan.
    Keep them both, your not going to make much selling either and you will never 2nd guess your decision.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Smith View Post
    Yeah, but it also smears lead into the threads, rendering the the threads tight and the ring very hard to move. I prefer a small piece of copper from an electrical line.
    There it is; use bits of copper, NOT lead or plastic, under a lousy set screw. But, even that's only a way to reduce the stupid set screw issue, it sure doesn't eliminate it!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast