RepackboxSnyders JerkyRotoMetals2Load Data
Titan ReloadingLee PrecisionReloading EverythingWideners
MidSouth Shooters Supply Inline Fabrication
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: ebay prices

Boolit Grand Master

My question is when an auctioneer charges a percentage to sell and a buyers premium just who is he representing in the deal. Used to be the seller commissioned the auctioneer to sell at a percentage and the auctioneer worked ti get as much as possible.

I recently seen a on line auction with a buyers premium, and you had to have funds on account to cover the cost BEFORE bidding. I have seen land auctions where proof of financing was required, but this was a machine auction ( a lot of cnc machines and big lathes all fairly new).

When looking at bigger items you also need to make sure where they are located at in relation to where you are. Having a big item delivered to far can eat up any savings you got.

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    Sixty dollar molds on eBay are now eighty dollars. Prices have gone up at 20 dollar clips and if you want a Paul Jones mold, expect to pay double or more the original purchase price … $250 to $275 plus
    Regards
    John

[QUOTE=country gent;5299091]My question is when an auctioneer charges a percentage to sell and a buyers premium just who is he representing in the deal. ][QUOTE]

The short answer is the auctioneer represents himself by collecting a fee, or percentage from both buyer and seller.

The seller gets more than he could sell the item for by himself.
    The buyer gets a cheaper price than he could quickly find the item for himself.

The higher a price the auctioneer gets, the more he makes on the sale.
    So,,,, He represents himself by getting as high a price as he can and collects from both parties.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by country gent View Post
    My question is when an auctioneer charges a percentage to sell and a buyers premium just who is he representing in the deal. Used to be the seller commissioned the auctioneer to sell at a percentage and the auctioneer worked ti get as much as possible.

I recently seen a on line auction with a buyers premium, and you had to have funds on account to cover the cost BEFORE bidding. I have seen land auctions where proof of financing was required, but this was a machine auction ( a lot of cnc machines and big lathes all fairly new).

When looking at bigger items you also need to make sure where they are located at in relation to where you are. Having a big item delivered to far can eat up any savings you got.
    I have seen that as well.
    BUT, the one time I bid on (and bought) a House on a auction, proof of financing wasn't required...but they wanted verbal acknowledgment. In 1986, right after my Job moved me to a new location in a new to me County, I happened onto an Estate Auction in Arlington, MN where they were also selling the house and 3 lots (two lots were landlocked, the house was situated on two lots, but basically it was like one triple sized lot).

I was a stranger in this small town (pop. 1500 at that time). When they started the bidding on the house, the bids were a crazy low number. I decided to make a bid. Now I hadn't talked to the auctioneer prior to this, and didn't know that they wanted "verbal acknowledgment" of finances. The auctioneer stopped the auction and walked over to me, put his arm around me and said, "Son, you do understand that you need $2500 cash today if you win this auction, then pay the balance within 30 days, are you sure you have the funds available? I want to sell you this house, but I need to know before I continue this auction, because if the other bidder drops out after you made several bids, and you don't have these funds, I don't want to have to start this auction over at a later time or date."

I said yes, which was a true statement. He started the Auction back up. The bidding continued for a few minutes, and the other bidder dropped out, so I won the House. I hadn't even did a walk through. The house had been listed for sale for several months prior to this auction. The owner was in a institution. The owners kids were furious that the house sold so cheap, and were yelling that they'd buy it for that. Luckily for me, the Auctioneer was able to calm down the situation, as the owners kids weren't able to finance buying the house. This was all quite nerve-racking and exciting for the 20 yr old JonB, buying his first house.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

These threads usually amuse me / are a good demonstration of how many people really do not like capitalism. Other's have correctly pointed out that if you factor what the actual costs are for the services provided . It's pretty small truthfully given what you are getting in return . The secure payment platform, a place to list the item , oh and a discounted shipping rate .

Sometimes eBay is the best option to sell an item you have if you want a fair price. Keep in mind I said fair, and while there is some subjectivity on what fair is , the market ultimately determines what constitutes a fair price .

Why would an individual want to sell a long since discontinued and desirable mold for $20 on a board when the same mold regularly sells for $100 on eBay ?
    Last edited by savagetactical; 11-16-2021 at 01:32 PM.
    Sometimes you eat the bar and sometimes the bar eats you.

Ahhhhhh ~ The Bay ~. It was once truly a great place, not so much anymore. I can't remember which came first, their forcing people to have PayPal or coming out of the closet as anti 2A. Either way, I began using it less and less. I sold a fair amount of things on their site and still have an account with them. I stopped when they forced the PayPal issue on us. On rare occasions, I'll purchase on The Bay when it seems my only option. Selling? When they change, I'll change and 'maybe' part with a few things there.

Murphy
    If I should depart this life while defending those who cannot defend themselves, then I have died the most honorable of deaths. Marc R. Murphy '2006'.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12