RotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders JerkyRepackbox
Wideners Reloading Everything
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ebay prices

Boolit Master

ebay prices

as you know prices on the fee bay is high
    here is one reason
    they have now gone to the bank direct, so they are charging about 12% if you sell . on a 100.00 sell its 12.00 they get off before you see any money
    that is why the price is up .

Boolit Master
    There has always been a cost to selling to the market.....and if you are a small manufacturer or importer ,it is a whole lot more than 12%........a lot of people who have been in business for 50 years would say that 10% off the top is not a bad result for a secure payment and delivery framework......You want to employ a salesforce of dishonest oversexed loafers ,which is what it was like in the 1970s.

Boolit Master
    It's up 2%. That doesn't account for the ridiculous prices. I was looking for a refrigerator and checked the bay. Manufacturer list was $1100, the bay had one listing for $2100, LOL Fishing for Dollars?

There have been deals, brand new NLG MP Molds under $100 shipped. That's less than direct from Slovenia with shipping. I hate installing grooves so I passed.
    Mal

Mal Paso means Bad Pass, just so you know.

Boolit Master

ebay prices

Quote Originally Posted by Mal Paso View Post
    It's up 2%. That doesn't account for the ridiculous prices. I was looking for a refrigerator and checked the bay. Manufacturer list was $1100, the bay had one listing for $2100, LOL Fishing for Dollars?

There have been deals, brand new NLG MP Molds under $100 shipped. That's less than direct from Slovenia with shipping. I hate installing grooves so I passed.
    Keep in mind, manufacturer list is great but stock on hand becomes the issue. Buddy of mine is redoing his whole kitchen and has been waiting on appliances for over 8 months cause of Covid related back orders. How much are you willing to pay to get something that may not be in stock elsewhere?

I’ve always found my dads theory of eBay to be true. The greater fool always wins the bid. If your willing to pay more than me, your the greater fool but you get the item and I don’t.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by StuBach View Post
    Keep in mind, manufacturer list is great but stock on hand becomes the issue. Buddy of mine is redoing his whole kitchen and has been waiting on appliances for over 8 months cause of Covid related back orders. How much are you willing to pay to get something that may not be in stock elsewhere?

I’ve always found my dads theory of eBay to be true. The greater fool always wins the bid. If your willing to pay more than me, your the greater fool but you get the item and I don’t.
    I bought from the official dealer for $1100.
    Mal

Mal Paso means Bad Pass, just so you know.

Boolit Master
    EBay is not what it used to be. Several years back, I bought several pallets from a scrap sale at work. Something like 7 pallets for $650.00. One one of the pallets were several Siemens analog I/O modules sealed in the box. In one day, I sold 4 of them for about $1,500.00.
    Now, I post items at ridiculously low prices and NADA...
    “Coincidence is God’s way of remaining anonymous.”

Boolit Buddy
    Just depends on item. I bought a couple speciality spray nozzles on clearance in town that are not used in this region but very desired in others. They sold in less than eight hours for a couple percent under other listings. Cleared north of two Benjamin’s.
    I kidded with my shooting buddy’s that I was going to sell out of all reloading equipment in April. If I would have I could buy back in today for less money.

Boolit Master

I found a motor, complete all the way to the back hubs from a 30's or 40's vehicle (havent done research yet) would something like be good to sell on ebay or should I go somewhere else.
    if you are ever being chased by a taxidermist, don't play dead

Boolit Grand Master

I once sold a pair of Beatles ticket stubs from the 1964 concert at the Philadelphia Convention Center on the bay. I got $380 plus shipping and insurance. I could have knocked on every door in town and not gotten $20. I paid their fees with a smile.
    ”We know they are lying, they know they are lying, they know we know they are lying, we know they know we know they are lying, yet they are still lying.” –Aleksandr Isayevich Solzhenitsyn

My Straight Shooters thread:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...raight-shooter

The Pewter Pictures and Hallmarks thread:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...-and-hallmarks

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by rancher1913 View Post
    I found a motor, complete all the way to the back hubs from a 30's or 40's vehicle (havent done research yet) would something like be good to sell on ebay or should I go somewhere else.
    The problem with that is eBay now charges their fees on shipping too. On something like that it will be quite a haircut.
    ”We know they are lying, they know they are lying, they know we know they are lying, we know they know we know they are lying, yet they are still lying.” –Aleksandr Isayevich Solzhenitsyn

My Straight Shooters thread:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...raight-shooter

The Pewter Pictures and Hallmarks thread:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...-and-hallmarks

Boolit Master

I don't sell on eBay anymore-they've gotten greedy.
    The unexamined life is not worth living....Socrates
    Pain, is just weakness leaving the body....USMC
    Fast is fine, but accuracy is FINAL!....Wyatt Earp

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by imashooter2 View Post
    The problem with that is eBay now charges their fees on shipping too. On something like that it will be quite a haircut.
    I figured it would be a "have to pick up at location" type sale, no way I could box it all up, about 12 foot long.
    if you are ever being chased by a taxidermist, don't play dead

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by imashooter2 View Post
    Reason for that is some folks are charging "outrageous" shipping fees, and taking relatively small "sale" prices. Move/countermove by sketchy sellers & ebay. And now everyone gets to pay. I sold on ebay when my daughters outgrew their Sailor Moon toys and accessories, back in the day. Not anymore.

Boolit Grand Master bedbugbilly's Avatar
    As a seller - nobody is happy with the cut they, or any other auction gets - but 12% gives you a world wide audience if you are so inclined. As a buyer - everybody wants a bargain. It's human nature.

When I settled my mother's estate - I had an auction. When it was all said and done - IIRC - the auctioneer and his crew ended up with 23 1/2% - not that unusual.

Prices on eBay are not higher because they raised their cut - possibly a tad bit higher on BIN new items - but for the most part it is supply and demand. All it takes is for several people to want the same item and like any auction, it will sell for whatever a willing buyer is willing to buy at that specific time. Bullet molds? I have watched Lyman molds sell on eBay for a ridiculous price and the next week, an identical mold sell at a price that is 10% of what the one the week before.

It happens on this site as well. Not long ago, a member put up a 2 cavity Lee mold and put a price of $45 on it - that's fine as it is his mold and he can ask what he wants. It sold. BUT - if the buyer had taken the time to do a little looking and clicked on Titan's banner at the top of the page - they would have seen that they had the same mold - new - not used - at their usual low price. Even with shipping, the buyer could have saved around $13 - had a new mold and not a used one.

How do I know? Because I was looking for the same mold as I wanted a duplicate to take and leave at our place in AZ. I looked at the member's WTS and then checked to see if I could find a new one - before I got done - I bought 3 different molds that I wanted duplicates of - all at Titan's usual price - not the over inflate gouging prices that many are selling for on eBay.

I buy and sell on eBay and have for many years. And yes, we all like to make $ if selling or get a bargain if buying - but a lot of stuff is selling at ridiculous prices because many people get lazy and don't take the time to do some research or do some searching for alternative sources that offer much better prices. "Build it and they will come" and sure enough, someone will who is "penny wise but pound foolish".

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by bedbugbilly View Post
    As a seller - nobody is happy with the cut they, or any other auction gets - but 12% gives you a world wide audience if you are so inclined. As a buyer - everybody wants a bargain. It's human nature.

When I settled my mother's estate - I had an auction. When it was all said and done - IIRC - the auctioneer and his crew ended up with 23 1/2% - not that unusual.

Prices on eBay are not higher because they raised their cut - possibly a tad bit higher on BIN new items - but for the most part it is supply and demand. All it takes is for several people to want the same item and like any auction, it will sell for whatever a willing buyer is willing to buy at that specific time. Bullet molds? I have watched Lyman molds sell on eBay for a ridiculous price and the next week, an identical mold sell at a price that is 10% of what the one the week before.

It happens on this site as well. Not long ago, a member put up a 2 cavity Lee mold and put a price of $45 on it - that's fine as it is his mold and he can ask what he wants. It sold. BUT - if the buyer had taken the time to do a little looking and clicked on Titan's banner at the top of the page - they would have seen that they had the same mold - new - not used - at their usual low price. Even with shipping, the buyer could have saved around $13 - had a new mold and not a used one.

How do I know? Because I was looking for the same mold as I wanted a duplicate to take and leave at our place in AZ. I looked at the member's WTS and then checked to see if I could find a new one - before I got done - I bought 3 different molds that I wanted duplicates of - all at Titan's usual price - not the over inflate gouging prices that many are selling for on eBay.

I buy and sell on eBay and have for many years. And yes, we all like to make $ if selling or get a bargain if buying - but a lot of stuff is selling at ridiculous prices because many people get lazy and don't take the time to do some research or do some searching for alternative sources that offer much better prices. "Build it and they will come" and sure enough, someone will who is "penny wise but pound foolish".

Yep.

A seller can ask any price they want. But it takes a buyer to pay it or raise it. I've picked up a couple of new MP molds for less than what they cost from Miha.

Mold prices are starting to settle down. But there are still people asking stupid prices. It seems that the market may have reached a saturation point and most people that just HAD TO HAVE A MOLD now have one.
    NRA Benefactor.

Boolit Master

I buy some stuff from ebay. But many on there have no idea of what they are selling, no idea of its value, no idea to describe it, and take poor out of focus pictures.
    Recently, the trend is to put an item on your watchlist and you get a make offer for 5-10% off.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by wv109323 View Post
    I buy some stuff from ebay. But many on there have no idea of what they are selling, no idea of its value, no idea to describe it, and take poor out of focus pictures.
    Recently, the trend is to put an item on your watchlist and you get a make offer for 5-10% off.
    I've been doing that. It works sometimes, and I'm a cheap bastrich, and not will to pay more than I want to pay. Most of the stuff I get from E-bay I could live without. And if not, I'll pay what it takes to get it. Though that isn't very often.

Bill

Boolit Master

If something is only available on eBay I don’t need it.

Boolit Master

Growing up auctions (farm and fixed site warehouse locations) were where many went to get used items they needed but could not afford to buy new. Back then the price you bid was the PRICE YOU PAID. The auctioneer would take a % from each sellers listed item; if memory serves me correctly it was 5% when I was very young and escalated to 10% by my later teens. Auctioneers are now fleecing both sides of the aisle (sellers and buyers) which is how events of 23 & 1/2 % as described by bedbugbilly in post #14 occur. Up until Ten years ago I used Flea Bay for numerous items - even selling a few. Got some good deals and from my perspective all three parties were happy (Seller/Auctioneer/Buyer). I look but never buy on Flea Bay now because I feel as if I am being Held Up buying an item and then having the cost jacked up afterwards. Same for most auctioneers today - bought a used Travel trailer at an online auction site a few years ago; buried in the # 2 font small print in long jitney of terms was a Buyers Premium of 15% plus processing fees. My "Great Buy" turned into an OK buy; but the sale still leaves a foul taste in my mouth. If your going to charge a fee - makes sure it's obvious and understood up front is my philosophy.
    Mustang

"In the beginning... the patriot is a scarce man, and brave and hated and scorned. When his cause succeeds, the timid join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." - Mark Twain.

Quote Originally Posted by rancher1913 View Post
    I used to know a guy that would buy antique car parts all Spring & Summer from where ever he could find them.
    Then he sold them during the winter on ebay for big bucks.

Everybody up in snow country would work on their old cars and hot rods during the winter when they were weathered in.
    In the summer, they were too busy to work on them much.

You might consider when you sell that engine as much as where.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast