RepackboxLee PrecisionRotoMetals2Reloading Everything
Snyders JerkyTitan ReloadingLoad DataMidSouth Shooters Supply
Inline Fabrication Wideners
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: FN 5.7x28 reloading

Boolit Master

FN 5.7x28 reloading

I know there are a couple of threads talking about parts of this, but I'm opening it up for a general opinion.

One of my kids bought an FN Five-seveN for some reason, and has asked if I could load for it. I'm generally fine loading for the kids, because they're fine leaving the gun with me to do thorough testing to ensure I have a good, reliable load for it. But this one seems like a pain in the butt. I'd just say no, but with ammo for it currently in the $1.25-$1.75 per round range, I just can't stand to watch him burn money like that if I can do something about it.

I've read a bunch about how the cases are a pain, because they require the plastic coating to ensure cycle timing. I'm fine making him hand clean them, so that's not a problem for me.

Then I also read that the shoulder tends to expand, and they're rough to size, because you have to force the shoulder back into spec. But since it's a bottleneck case and it's only going to be fired from this one pistol, could I get away with neck sizing? Or will they not feed properly, so they have to be fully resized?

I also heard they're really sensitive to the load and seating depth, but that's fine because I'll stay well below the max load, and seat just short enough to feed and chamber. Probably start from the same j-word (Hornady V-Max), and base my seating around the factory length.

My Lyman book has load data for 35gr, 40gr, and 45gr, and I should be able to find a powder to do the trick. I think the only one listed that I have on hand is long shot, but I can probably find some #7, which was listed in all 3 weights.

What do you think? Too much trouble? Or if I can offload the case prep to him it might be worth it?

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

Boolit Master

I looked in to it a couple of times.

Every time I came to the conclusion it's just too much trouble and work.

Sometimes ya gotta let the kids learn from their mistakes.
    NRA Benefactor.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by ryanmattes View Post
    I know there are a couple of threads talking about parts of this, but I'm opening it up for a general opinion.

One of my kids bought an FN Five-seveN for some reason, and has asked if I could load for it. I'm generally fine loading for the kids, because they're fine leaving the gun with me to do thorough testing to ensure I have a good, reliable load for it. But this one seems like a pain in the butt. I'd just say no, but with ammo for it currently in the $1.25-$1.75 per round range, I just can't stand to watch him burn money like that if I can do something about it.

I've read a bunch about how the cases are a pain, because they require the plastic coating to ensure cycle timing. I'm fine making him hand clean them, so that's not a problem for me.

Then I also read that the shoulder tends to expand, and they're rough to size, because you have to force the shoulder back into spec. But since it's a bottleneck case and it's only going to be fired from this one pistol, could I get away with neck sizing? Or will they not feed properly, so they have to be fully resized?

I also heard they're really sensitive to the load and seating depth, but that's fine because I'll stay well below the max load, and seat just short enough to feed and chamber. Probably start from the same j-word (Hornady V-Max), and base my seating around the factory length.

My Lyman book has load data for 35gr, 40gr, and 45gr, and I should be able to find a powder to do the trick. I think the only one listed that I have on hand is long shot, but I can probably find some #7, which was listed in all 3 weights.

What do you think? Too much trouble? Or if I can offload the case prep to him it might be worth it?

No, you won't be able to get away with neck sizing. Even in the Five-seveN, the shoulder gets blown forward pretty dramatically. You'll probably have to trim every case after sizing as well.

Cleaning is best done by swishing in water and simple green, then rinsing and drying. In addition to seating depth, you need to be very careful with powder charges. A tenth grain over can be bad news. Best to weigh each charge. Seems like lighter bullets can be more forgiving, but overall, it's a pretty difficult round to reload. It's single stage, expert level stuff and as much of a time/effort investment as making match-grade rifle rounds.

I'm stocked and tooled for 5.7, but overall, it's really just not worth the effort unless ammo is completely unavailable (i.e. I'd pay $1.75/rnd and just shoot less rather than screw with reloading it.)

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by kerplode View Post
    You'll probably have to trim every case after sizing as well.
    I called L.E. Wilson, and they don't make a case holder for 5.7, but they said they'd make me one for $22 if I sent them 3 prepped cases. I'd definitely go that way, for precise sizing. And like I said, I'd make him do all the case prep. He wants to shoot this silly round, he can do the labor and buy the components. I'd just be doing the delicate part.

Quote Originally Posted by kerplode View Post
    Best to weigh each charge. Seems like lighter bullets can be more forgiving, but overall, it's a pretty difficult round to reload. It's single stage, expert level stuff and as much of a time/effort investment as making match-grade rifle rounds.
    I load everything on a single-stage and weigh every charge. In cartridges with light charges I always do tenth of a grain ladders, and usually don't get anywhere near the max charge. I usually find the best performance near the middle anyway.

Is the neck tension on a resized case enough to prevent setback? It seems like a hot enough round to justify some crimp, but no one makes a crimp die, and I've read people saying that crimping causes dangerous pressure spikes.

I'd obviously follow the book loads, but complicated cartridges make me curious. And since I found the dies in stock for $40, it's a low enough cost of entry to make me want to give it a shot.

Boolit Buddy
    To be honest, the few test runs I've loaded for 5.7 all went through a Lee Factory Crimp Die. Seems to get the job done.
    Available @ Midway, but not currently in stock: Lee 5.7x28 Factory Crimp Die

I have read that folks generally don't have too many issues with just neck tension, but I might not risk that, especially once the brass gets more than one or two firings. Also, FWIW, it's my understanding that factory ammo has the bullets basically "glued" into the necks to prevent setback issues from rough cycling. I think the pistol is probably gentler on the rounds than the P90, so maybe give it a go with just neck tension and some light loads and see what you think...

So yeah, you should definitely give it a try. It is an interesting round to load...Not impossible by any stretch, but it's definitely not cranking out 9mm blasting loads either. Just keep a close eye on everything and you'll be fine. You'll probably get sick of it pretty quickly too, though.

It's also nice to have the capability to load it in your back pocket incase absolutely needed (this is more or less where I am with it now...)

After you get it up and running, post back here with your experiences loading it. I'd be interested to see what you think once you've done a few.

Sounds like a pain. Reminds me of the folks who tried reloading for the .22 Jet revolvers.

Jim

Banned

Sorry if a hijack, but I have heard about that coating of the cases that presents problems reloading it. It always seemed to me like it would be a neat rifle round in a very small and graceful bolt action for a varmint and small game round.

Can someone explain in layman's terms what that coating is and why it's necessary?

Boolit Master
    From what I've read, it's required to ensure cycle timing. With enough pressure the coating delays the blowback that cycles the action until the pressure drops to safe levels to cycle. Without the coating, it starts to cycle Before the bullet has left the barrel.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blow...layed_blowback

Moderator Emeritus

Thought about trying case lube on them to see if the coating works the same. Waiting on my Lgs to get some factory ammo in first before I try reloading.

I've reloaded 5.7x28 the PITA was trimming. I used a Try-Way II trimmer and holding that small case was a problem. Find some plastic jaw pliers to grab the cases. I custom made mine. There are some made for reloading, take a look in Handloader magazine for a link.

I just washed my spent cases in a mild detergent. I like shiny brass, but it's not an option for this caliber.

Boolit Master
    I use an LE Wilson micrometer trimmer, but they don't make a case holder for 5.7. However, if I can manually get 3 cases sized correctly and shipped to them, they'll make one for me for $22 + shipping. That's not too expensive, and should make precise trimming a breeze.

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by ryanmattes View Post
    I use an LE Wilson micrometer trimmer, but they don't make a case holder for 5.7. However, if I can manually get 3 cases sized correctly and shipped to them, they'll make one for me for $22 + shipping. That's not too expensive, and should make precise trimming a breeze.

I thought about trying to make on with my 3d printer but do not know enough yet in freecad. My printer is on hiatus right now as my gf is using the room for work. I was gonna go off saami specs. Wonder why Wilson needs cases to make one as I would have bought from them also.

Boolit Master
    It's just considered a custom die because they don't have it in their catalog, and they'll do custom dies for any kind of wildcat cartridge if you send them 3 samples.

They probably got bit by someone sending them specs and then complaining that it wasn't right, even though it met the specs, because people think they know what they're doing.

Boolit Mold
    Lee makes a set, it includes a shell holder. I tried reloading them, that was a pain. But, I want to buy the Ruger-57 now, so I am going to have to get it figured out.

Sent from my Pixel 4 using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    I'm just not a fan of the Lee trimmer systems, and after using the Wilson trimmer, I can't go back to anything else.

Moderator Emeritus

I could not figure out how to attach a picture in a private email reply, url but not from computer. Here is a pic from Lyman 50th:Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20210715_095434.jpg 
Views:	36 
Size:	65.4 KB 
ID:	286124

Boolit Buddy
    There is a forum dedicated to loading this round and they will give you a lot of info when it comes to loading this round. There is a user there that also makes and sells certain dies for the round and also brass.

I wanted to start loading this round years ago but never got around to it, looking back I am happy that I got the dies and sizers that's needed at the time. When you look at the prices of that round today its just crazy compared to @ $20 a box of 50.

fnforum.net

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tWMm...liteAmmunition

Good luck.
    Last edited by stanford; 07-19-2021 at 09:33 AM.

Boolit Master
    After getting all the parts together, dies, case holder for my hand primer, case holder for my Wilson trimmer, etc, I finally got around to loading a few of these tonight

The book says 6.5-7.0 grains of #7 (thanks to txcowboy52 for trading powders), so I loaded sets at 6.5, 6.6, 6.7, and 6.8 to test it. I went conservative on the seating depth, preferring a little longer over a little shorter since I knew they would cycle longer based on some dummy loads I made, and I've heard horror stories of overpressure. I followed the book load exactly, erring on the side of caution.

I did go back and re-crimp after seating, because I think I didn't screw the die in far enough when seating. There wasn't even a noticeable difference in the lip of the case mouth afterwards, so I screwed the seater stem out, gave the die 1/8th turn, and ran them all through again. This time I could hear/feel the crimper move a little when I backed the ram out, and there was a barely visible difference in the lip of the case mouth. Not a hard crimp, but at least I knew there was A crimp.

I'll get out to the range to shoot em this week, and see how they do.

Moderator Emeritus

Looking good. Thanks again for including me on the Wilson deal. Please let us know how they perform. Are you going to use something like case lube on the brass to help with extraction?

Boolit Master

I just started loading for 5.7 myself.

The cases I'm using are all fn and AE new production and 1x fired by me thru my ruger 57.
    There is no coating on the brass.

I'm loading with hornady 40gr vmax, but just ordered a mp mold that will make a 35-40gr projectile depending on if hollow point pin is used. I have a friend loading with them.

I'm loading with accurate no 5.. starting at a mid level load of 5.4 grs. I've never had luck with starting loads in semi auto guns.
    I'm using a lee 2 die set and got the lee fcd. The lee die sets the shoulders perfectly. I have a buddy with the rcbs set.. and it is not doing the shoulders good.. he had problems running his cases thru his fn, ps90 and a contender. he gave up and sent me a bag of cases.
    I do see that the lee neck expander isn't real big. I polished down a spare 22 cal pilot with 220, 320 and then 800 sand paper so that it would fit the sized case mouth so I could trim. Looks like you Do have to bump the shoulder and trim each firing.. so I doubt these cases last long.

Also.. none of my powder funnels fit good.. so I am hand charging off the pan on my scale..

I test fire my first few at lunch.

Here are mine.. red tips.. the blue tip is a fn factor hornady vmax as well.

Well.. can't post a pic.. board is back to not letting me post pics. just imagine 7 rounds.. 6 with red tips.. one with blue.. that look identical to factor 5.7 ammo. If you don't like imagining.. maybe the admins can fix the software to make it more compatible.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast