Lee PrecisionLoad DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan Reloading
RepackboxWidenersReloading EverythingRotoMetals2
Inline Fabrication
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: States with the most and least violent crime?

Boolit Master

States with the most and least violent crime?

Very interesting results. I was completely surprised at some of the results. Not so much that Idaho has one of the lowest.

https://worldpopulationreview.com/st...-rate-by-state

States with the Lowest Crime Rates

Maine has the lowest crime rate of 1,360.72 incidents per 100,000 people. In 2018, the total number of crimes reported in Maine dropped for the seventh straight year. Since 2009, the total number of reported crimes has fallen by more than 40%. Law enforcement credits the community for working closely with them to achieve this.

New Hampshire has the second-lowest crime rate in the United States of 1,361.76 incidents per 100,000. New Hampshire's safest cities boast crime rates that are less than 100 incidents per 100,000 people. New Hampshire, however, does have a higher-than-average reported rape rate of 49.4 per 100,000 people. Researchers are not sure whether this reflects a culture of sexual assault or a culture of accurate reporting.

Idaho has a crime rate of 1,443.32 per 100,000 people, making it the state with the third-lowest crime rate. Some of Idaho's safest cities are Rexburg, Hailey, and Middleton. According to Safewise, about 2% of Idaho residents reported a personal experience with violent crime in the past year, 10 points below the national average. Aggravated assault is the most common violent crime in Idaho.

Massachusetts has the fourth-lowest crime rate in the U.S. at 1,507.36 incidents per 100,000. Massachusetts's property crime rate of about 1,260 per 100,000 is significantly lower than the national average of 2,200. About 39% of participants in the state's Safewise survey reported worrying about crime daily, down from 55% in 2019. Hopkinton is the safest city in Massachusetts, reporting only 170 crimes per 100,000 people in 2020.

New Jersey's crime rate of 1,542.55 is the fifth-lowest nationwide. New Jersey's violent crime rate falls year over year and currently sits around 210 incidents per 100,000 people. In 2019, 30 New Jersey cities made it onto Safewise's 100 Safest Cities in America list, including Bergenfield, Bernards Township, and Monroe Township.

States with the Highest Crime Rates

The District of Columbia has the highest crime rate in the United States of 5,416.09 incidents per 100,000 people. Violent crime in D.C. averages more than twice the average rate. In 2018, the violent crime rate was 995.9 per 100,000, while the national average was 368.9 per 100,000. While overall crime is decreasing in D.C., the murder rate is going up. From 2019 to 2020, homicides increased by 18%, while overall crime decreased by 19%.

New Mexico has the second-highest crime rate of 3,944.96 incidents per 100,000 residents, more than twice the national average. New Mexico also had one of the highest property crime rates in 2018 of 3,420 incidents per 100,000 people. Albuquerque, which is home to more than a quarter of the state's population, reported slight decreases in both violent and property crime.

Alaska has the third-highest crime rate in the United States of 3,777.89 crimes per 100,000 people. The state's rate of sexual assault is 161.6 incidents per 100,000 people, nearly four times the national rate. The most common violent crime reported in Alaska is aggravated assault, followed by rape. Property crime, however, makes up about 79% of crime in Alaska, and violent crime makes up about 21%.

Louisiana's crime rate of 3,711.29 per 100,000 is the fourth-highest in the country. In 2019, Lousiana experienced the highest per capita murder rate for the 31st consecutive year of 11.7 per 100,000 people. Between 1989 and 2014, Louisiana experienced 13.7 murders per 100,000 people. The most dangerous cities in Louisiana are Hammond, Opelousas, and Alexandria. Alexandria's violent crime rate is 1,454 per 100,000 people.

South Carolina has a crime rate of 3,451.58 per 100,000.

Here are the 10 states with the highest homicide rates:

Louisiana (12.4 per 100,000 people)
    Missouri (9.8 per 100,000 people)
    Nevada (9.1 per 100,000 people)
    Maryland (9 per 100,000 people)
    Arkansas (8.6 per 100,000 people)
    Alaska (8.4 per 100,000 people)
    Alabama (8.3 per 100,000 people)
    Mississippi (8.2 per 100,000 people)
    Illinois (7.8 per 100,000 people)
    South Carolina (7.8 per 100,000 people)
    "Luck don't live out here. Wolves don't kill the unlucky deer; they kill the weak ones..." Jeremy Renner in Wind River

Boolit Buddy
    I just got back from a funeral in Alexandria La. and at the funeral home they had a city police car posted to watch the cars in the parking lot. I asked inside the funeral home why the police was parked outside? They said that the cars would get broken into if he wasnt there.......................Curdog

Hmmmm
    Paper targets aren't your friends. They won't lie for you and they don't care if your feelings get hurt.

Boolit Bub
    That doesn’t surprise me about Louisiana. All those towns are crap holes along with, Baton Rouge, New Orleans and Shreveport.

Lafayette and lake Charles are decent.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Seems like there are a lot of variables that might taint the record for an entire state. For instance, one or two really "bad assed" cities could spike the statistics for a state that is otherwise peaceful and law abiding.

These days, I'm getting pretty skeptical of many "statistics". It's not that they're necessarily wrong, but they don't always paint the right picture. jd
    It seems that people who do almost nothing, often complain loudly when it's time to do it.

Boolit Buddy
    I was surprised that Illinois was that far down the list.

Boolit Master

Very misleading, while the State as a whole may enjoy these low crime rates, their cities not so much:
    America’s Top 20 Cities for Crime, and What Party Runs Them
    Here is the Neighborhood Scout ranking of the most crime-ridden cities and their mayors.

1. Detroit
    Violent crime rate (per 1,000 residents): 20.0

Odds of being a victim: 1 in 50

Mayor: Michael Edward Duggan, Democrat

2. Memphis, Tennessee
    Violent crime rate (per 1,000 residents): 19.5

Odds of being a victim: 1 in 51

Mayor: Jim Strickland, Democrat

3. Birmingham, Alabama
    Violent crime rate (per 1,000 residents): 19.3

Odds of being a victim: 1 in 52

Mayor: Randall Woodfin, Democrat

4. Baltimore
    Violent crime rate (per 1,000 residents): 18.5

Odds of being a victim: 1 in 54

Mayor: Jack Young, Democrat

5. Flint, Michigan
    Violent crime rate (per 1,000 residents): 18.3

Odds of being a victim: 1 in 55

Mayor: Sheldon Neely, Democrat

6. St. Louis
    Violent crime rate (per 1,000 residents): 18.2

Mayor: Lyda Krewson, Democrat

7. Danville, Illinois
    Violent crime rate (per 1,000 residents): 18.0

Mayor: Ricky Williams Jr. (nonpartisan election)

8. Saginaw, Michigan
    Violent crime rate (per 1,000 residents): 16.7

Odds of being a victim: 1 in 60

Mayor: Floyd Kloc (nonpartisan election)

9. Wilmington, Delaware
    Violent crime rate (per 1,000 residents): 16.3

Odds of being a victim: 1 in 61

Mayor: Mike Purzycki, Democrat

10. Camden, New Jersey
    Violent crime rate (per 1,000 residents): 16.2

Odds of being a victim: 1 in 62

Mayor: Francisco Moran, Democrat

11. Pine Bluff, Arkansas
    Violent crime rate (per 1,000 residents): 16.0

Odds of being a victim: 1 in 62

Mayor: Shirley Washington, Democrat

12. Kansas City, Missouri
    Violent crime rate (per 1,000 residents): 15.9

Odds of being a victim: 1 in 63

Mayor: Quinton Lucas, Democrat

13. San Bernardino, California
    Violent crime rate (per 1,000 residents): 15.3

Odds of being a victim: 1 in 65

Mayor: John Valdivia, Democrat

14. Alexandria, Louisiana
    Violent crime rate (per 1,000 residents): 14.6

Odds of being a victim: 1 in 68

Mayor: Jeffrey Hall, Democrat

15. Little Rock, Arkansas
    Violent crime rate (per 1,000 residents): 14.6

Odds of being a victim: 1 in 68

Mayor: Frank Scott Jr., Democrat

16. Cleveland
    Violent crime rate (per 1,000 residents): 14.5

Odds of being a victim: 1 in 69

Mayor: Frank Jackson, Democrat

17. Milwaukee
    Violent crime rate (per 1,000 residents): 14.3

Odds of being a victim: 1 in 70

Mayor: Tom Barrett, Democrat

18. Stockton, California
    Violent crime rate (per 1,000 residents): 14.2

Odds of being a victim: 1 in 70

Mayor: Michael Tubbs, Democrat

19. Monroe, Louisiana
    Violent crime rate (per 1,000 residents): 14.1

Odds of being a victim: 1 in 71

Mayor: James Earl Mayo, Democrat

20. Chester, Pennsylvania
    Violent crime rate (per 1,000 residents): 14.0

Odds of being a victim: 1 in 71

Mayor: Thaddeus Kirkland, Democrat
    "Freedom is the sure possession of those alone who have the courage to defend it."
    ~Pericles~

In the statistics above, black population seems to play a significant role, too. Just sayin’.
    "Experience is a series of non-fatal mistakes"

Disarming is a mistake free people only get to make once...

Boolit Master
    Memphis is the reason for Tennessee. Although redneck good ole boys are also an issue.

Just like for gun related crime stats. Take out the big cities and there is a different picture completely.
    “Coincidence is God’s way of remaining anonymous.”

Boolit Grand Master

At least Louisiana is number one in something .
    Our govenor ... John B. Edwards is guess what ... a Democrat ...
    I bet he's proud of the job he's doing ! Yes sir ... Number One in killings , that's the ticket !
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by gwpercle View Post
    At least Louisiana is number one in something .
    Our govenor ... John B. Edwards is guess what ... a Democrat ...
    I bet he's proud of the job he's doing ! Yes sir ... Number One in killings , that's the ticket !
    Gary
    Louisiana has been known for it's high level of "Killings" since the days of Jim Bowie until he migrated to Texas.
    Mustang

"In the beginning... the patriot is a scarce man, and brave and hated and scorned. When his cause succeeds, the timid join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." - Mark Twain.

Boolit Grand Master

Heard an interesting statistic on the news lately, violent crime and specifically shootings have gone up in all the surrounding cities - but in Virginia Beach they have gone down. Local policing makes a huge difference too.
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

Banned

Surpised to see S.C. with the same rate of violence as Illinois. The town I grew up in is a dump and the state has its bad parts, but for the most part, it's a pretty nice place.

Boolit Buddy
    Idaho has a very 'selective' reporting system for criminal activity. The stats are meaningless. Pet doors make for easy access to your house, and we have lots of 'drive threw' activity from out of staters! While they aren't stealing the wheels off your vehicle at the trailhead, they do steal the coolers in the campground for the deer they poached! Just because it didn't make the 'news' (not puppy dog/kitten story) doesn't mean it did not happen!
    West of Beaver Dick's Ferry.

It’s great to see my “home state” in the #1 position.....NOT!

I wish my family could/would leave that cesspool! To date, I’ve lost 5 friends to murder in my lifetime! 4 were senior citizens, one a seminary student (was to be a minister), none living a questionable lifestyle.....other than where they lived! memtb
    You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

“LETS GO BRANDON”

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by trebor44 View Post
    Idaho has a very 'selective' reporting system for criminal activity. The stats are meaningless. Pet doors make for easy access to your house, and we have lots of 'drive threw' activity from out of staters! While they aren't stealing the wheels off your vehicle at the trailhead, they do steal the coolers in the campground for the deer they poached! Just because it didn't make the 'news' (not puppy dog/kitten story) doesn't mean it did not happen!
    So, you're saying that every police department in Idaho is intentionally lying about the number of crimes being committed in their community?

Please back up that assertion with proof.
    "Luck don't live out here. Wolves don't kill the unlucky deer; they kill the weak ones..." Jeremy Renner in Wind River

Vendor Sponsor

If I watch the local network news every day, there are multiple shootings in nearby cities. Two cities are named most often, and out of a month's worth of shootings, there MIGHT be one done by a white guy and maybe one done by a hispanic. Maybe. This is EVERY month the same ratio. Sometimes it goes 2 or 3 months without a shooting done by a white male.

The majority of the shooters are under the legal age to buy or own a handgun. Many of those are convicted felons already. There are multiple laws against guns getting in the wrong hands, the laws are redundant and overlapping, yet they have absolutely NO effect on these criminals. There might as well be ZERO gun laws for all the good (or not) that they do.

People and agencies can claim this kind of reporting is racist, but you know, how do you come up with a different answer for 2 + 2 = 4? People of color who are pointing the fingers and claiming racist just won't admit the truth. The truth is, the numbers don't lie. The reporting isn't biased, these cities don't have a gun problem like they say they do, they have a race problem. A "thug" culture problem.

A society that will march and proudly carry BLM banners and other rhetorical slogans, yet steadfastly turn a blind eye to the root cause of the shootings and they will NOT admit what that root cause really is, much less address it, that society seems to be okay with that 900lb gorilla over in the corner with the menacing eyes.
    Got a .22 .30 .32 .357 .38 .40 .41 .44 .45 .480 or .500 S&W cylinder that needs throats honed? 9mm, 10mm/40S&W, 45 ACP pistol barrel that won't "plunk" your handloads? 480 Ruger or 475 Linebaugh cylinder that needs the "step" reamed to 6° 30min chamfer? Click here to send me a PM You can also find me on Facebook Click Here.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by hoodat View Post
    Seems like there are a lot of variables that might taint the record for an entire state. For instance, one or two really "bad assed" cities could spike the statistics for a state that is otherwise peaceful and law abiding.

These days, I'm getting pretty skeptical of many "statistics". It's not that they're necessarily wrong, but they don't always paint the right picture. jd
    Truer words were never spoken .... Statistics and numbers can be skewed like you wouldn't believe .
    I've seen the number skewing and statistc juggling go on first hand .
    Do you notice Louisiana is working on passing a law the Dem's don't want citizens to have ...letting us conceal carry ...without a required permit ... Notice what state is shown as #1 in getting killed by gunshot ...I ain't buying it buddy ...no way ...no how ... FAKE NEWS by the left !
    I live in Baton Rouge Louisiana and can tell you what it's like ... and what it's not like .
    The left are lying to you ...but I'm not falling for their lies ... I see whats going on around here .
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by DougGuy View Post
    If I watch the local network news every day, there are multiple shootings in nearby cities. Two cities are named most often, and out of a month's worth of shootings, there MIGHT be one done by a white guy and maybe one done by a hispanic. Maybe. This is EVERY month the same ratio. Sometimes it goes 2 or 3 months without a shooting done by a white male.

The majority of the shooters are under the legal age to buy or own a handgun. Many of those are convicted felons already. There are multiple laws against guns getting in the wrong hands, the laws are redundant and overlapping, yet they have absolutely NO effect on these criminals. There might as well be ZERO gun laws for all the good (or not) that they do.

People and agencies can claim this kind of reporting is racist, but you know, how do you come up with a different answer for 2 + 2 = 4? People of color who are pointing the fingers and claiming racist just won't admit the truth. The truth is, the numbers don't lie. The reporting isn't biased, these cities don't have a gun problem like they say they do, they have a race problem. A "thug" culture problem.

A society that will march and proudly carry BLM banners and other rhetorical slogans, yet steadfastly turn a blind eye to the root cause of the shootings and they will NOT admit what that root cause really is, much less address it, that society seems to be okay with that 900lb gorilla over in the corner with the menacing eyes.
    Well Said DougGuy ... Well Said ,
    and you are so right !
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Boolit Master
    We can all thank LBJ for this mess. His great society brought about the collapse of the black family and fatherless homes have given us the thugs that we see in the big cities.
    “Coincidence is God’s way of remaining anonymous.”

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast