Inline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxPBcastco
Load DataReloading EverythingRotoMetals2Lee Precision
Wideners Titan Reloading
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Got my RCBS Pro Melt 2

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Half Dog View Post
    I added an aluminum plate. It helps quite a bit especially emptying a pot.

Attachment 286132
    I’m fond of the NOE mold guide for the ProMelt. I’ve found it extremely user friendly.

Eddie1971 - My Pro Melt 2 fan turns on as soon as I plug it in and doesn't stop until I unplug it at the end of the casting session. You should call RCBS about this. They'll probably send you a new unit.

StuBach, the NOE mold guide works great on my Pro Melt 2 also. Really simplifies lining up the cavities with the spout.

Quote Originally Posted by JCM45 View Post
    Eddie1971 - My Pro Melt 2 fan turns on as soon as I plug it in and doesn't stop until I unplug it at the end of the casting session. You should call RCBS about this. They'll probably send you a new unit.
    I actually spoke to someone at RCBS. I do my casting under an overhang outside at my home and mentioned that to the guy there. He said if the unit is getting enough ventilation, the fan will not kick on until needed. The area on the pot where the digital controls are, seems to be cool. I just got this machine and it's one of the revised Pro Melt 2's so maybe it's got a thermo control and only kicks on like a cooling fan in a car?

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by StuBach View Post
    I’m fond of the NOE mold guide for the ProMelt. I’ve found it extremely user friendly.

That’s Al’s second try at a mould guide; the first one didn’t work at all.

Boolit Master
    I have the NOE guide also. It works well, but I had to learn to not let the sprue spill over the far end of the long 8 cav molds I use if filling far to near; the frozen drip hanging off the end would jam the mold in the cut out.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Eddie1971 View Post
    I actually spoke to someone at RCBS. I do my casting under an overhang outside at my home and mentioned that to the guy there. He said if the unit is getting enough ventilation, the fan will not kick on until needed. The area on the pot where the digital controls are, seems to be cool. I just got this machine and it's one of the revised Pro Melt 2's so maybe it's got a thermo control and only kicks on like a cooling fan in a car?
    I have one from right after they came out. The fan comes on as soon as power is applied.
    NRA Benefactor.

I got my PM2 last November and it had been on the shelf at the gun store a while. I've lapped and cleaned it and it still leaks. How do I tell if it has the old or new valve stem?

I have two v1s that don't leak. I did get a little leak once and replaced the pin and that fixed it. Might be worth replacing, otherwise the nozzle hole might be out of spec. Not much to it. It all just needs to mate up properly to not leak.

My only advise is to plug up the Lee and just use it as a 20lb pre melt to keep the promelt fed.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by SoonerEd View Post
    I got my PM2 last November and it had been on the shelf at the gun store a while. I've lapped and cleaned it and it still leaks. How do I tell if it has the old or new valve stem?
    The new pin has a fatter tip. Call RCBS and ask for the new valve pin, they will send one free. The new hours are 7-4 Monday through Thursday Pacific Time. I called at 7 and was first in line. 800-533-5000
    Mal

Mal Paso means Bad Pass, just so you know.

Thanks...I'll give them a call.

Got a pin on the way. Given the SN on the machine mine was manufactured in January of 2018 even though I bought it November of 2020.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by SoonerEd View Post
    Got a pin on the way. Given the SN on the machine mine was manufactured in January of 2018 even though I bought it November of 2020.
    I think I have #68. I figured out that the MY valve in the bottom was tilted and I used the slop in the guides to put the top of the pin where it wants to be when fully seated, no lead. Still need to lap one more time but casting is more fun than draining and lapping.
    Mal

Mal Paso means Bad Pass, just so you know.

Boolit Master
    I think “Ohio Thermal” made the original Pro Melt.

Quote Originally Posted by Half Dog View Post
    I added an aluminum plate. It helps quite a bit especially emptying a pot.

Attachment 286132
    Quote Originally Posted by dannyd View Post
    That’s Al’s second try at a mould guide; the first one didn’t work at all.
    I've got the first one and I need to take it to a buddy who's got a Bridgeport and have him mill the slot hopefully that will help some. I don't use it as it is. Only thing from NOE I've been disappointed in.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by quasi View Post
    I think “Ohio Thermal” made the original Pro Melt.
    I bought an old used Ohio thermal about 10 years ago. It is the same as the RCBS pro melt. I've cast literally a ton of bullets with it. I've added an aluminum shelf and top cover for it from Ebay. That is a life saver with a heavy 10 cavity Hensley Gibbs mold. I have occasionally had a small leak from the valve. I lightly tap the top of the rod with my mold hammer and seals the leak for months. The only problem I've had is it would not turn on (light out in switch), I replaced the switch and back to casting. You just can't beat the original Pro Melt with 10 kilo's of hot lead.
    Last edited by rcslotcar; 09-23-2021 at 12:45 AM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12