WidenersReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan Reloading
RotoMetals2Load DataRepackboxPBcastco
Inline Fabrication Lee Precision
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Got my RCBS Pro Melt 2

Got my RCBS Pro Melt 2

I finally got my PM2 from RCBS. Was on the wait list for one. Previously I had a Lee 4-20 that really disappointed me especially since the 10 pounder worked like a gem. I assembled it and it looks nice. Any tips on what or what not to do with it?

Boolit Man
    Seems obvious, but don't get any water or moisture around hot lead,we want the lead to stay in the pot until it becomes a bullet.

Sent from my SM-A505U using Tapatalk

Boolit Master

It’s a good pot but does heat up slow, so be patient.

Banned

I call mine the leakamatic!

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by smithnframe View Post
    I call mine the leakamatic!

Did you call RCBS to get the new valve pin; it’s a fix they came out with couple of years ago.

Banned
    I have an old RCBS Pro Melt hooked to a DIY PID, as previously mentioned it's a little slow to come to temp.

I've cast tons of lead with my old 4-20's but I really like the RCBS Pro Melt, love the spout/handle design compared to lee.
    Last edited by Conditor22; 06-30-2021 at 06:00 PM.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by dannyd View Post
    Did you call RCBS to get the new valve pin; it’s a fix they came out with couple of years ago.
    I did………..it still leaks!

Quote Originally Posted by Conditor22 View Post
    I have an old RCBS Pro Melt hooked to a DIY PID, as previously mentioned it's a little slow to come to temp.

I've cast tons of lead with my old 4-20's but I really like the RCBS Pro Melt, love the spout/handle design compared to lee.
    The Lee 10 pound pot was excellent but I had nothing but issues with the 4-20.

I have one of the old model ProMelts (one of the last I saw available) and couldn't be more happy with it. Why they changed that model I don't understand. Gp

Boolit Buddy
    Greetings,

I believe yours has the built in PID temperature control?

If so, read the manual about leaving it plugged in until it cools down. Heat is not the PID controllers friend.

There is an internal cooling fan for the electronics.

Cheers,

Dave

Boolit Master

Let it cool down to 160 before turning off; I always let it cool to room temperature.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by gpidaho View Post
    I have one of the old model ProMelts (one of the last I saw available) and couldn't be more happy with it. Why they changed that model I don't understand. Gp

RCBS purchased the pro melt from another company; I would imagine parts and new technology became an issue. I liked my pro melt when I had it, pro melt 2 is a lot like the first one, but like everything else cheaply made with a PID’s.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Eddie1971 View Post
    The Lee 10 pound pot was excellent but I had nothing but issues with the 4-20.

Empty the Pro Melt 2 each time you use it and clean it, cuts down on it leaking. Mind does not leak as bad a my three 4-20’s, but I also started with a 10 lb Lee like it too. (Still have it somewhere also have the new Lyman pot too)

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	B6DA82DA-5C55-47BC-B924-C831A3AD7DF1.jpeg 
Views:	30 
Size:	60.9 KB 
ID:	285417

Boolit Master
    So, I wasn’t even aware they were back on the market after they pulled them last year. Anyone know what they mean by “improved”?

I hear great things about the PM2 from many but just as many are disappointed with the cool down issue. I’m wondering if they took any of the complaints into consideration with the improvements?

I’ve had a PM1 for years now and can’t imagine a better platform with external PID.

Boolit Master

I lapped my new valve for a better seal on my pro melt 2 , I got a timer to go in receptacle to set time to shut down after turning pid temp to zero , then it gets the time to cool down and will power off on its own .

Got my RCBS Pro Melt 2

I was on the waiting list for over a year, but got mine back before Covid world happened. I LOVE mine. I used to use a Lee 10# dripomatic for years.
    It does take longer Nuer to heat up, but WOW it’s a great piece of equipment. I’ve tried an external digital temp reader with submersible type j wire (or k, can’t remember currently)…but man it’s a casting machine.
    I do recommend cleaning regularly, and I always flux with beeswax prior to shutdown. IMO it seals off tank walls from oxidation when in storage. I have zero complaints with mine.
    I do keep a small wire j-fishhook with the Barb snipped off, and poke it up in the open stream of pouring lead to clean before shutting it down. I may be going overboard on preventative Maint…but I’m the type that wipes down my hand tool wrenches and put them up clean, even if I will be finishing a carb rebuild or whatever the very next day.

I have a Lyman 20# dripomatic if anyone needs one, but have considered using it as a preheated over my RCBS PRO MELT 2.
    Your thoughts?

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by smithnframe View Post
    I did………..it still leaks!
    I think my serial number is 68. It's good to see the Pro Melt 2 back in production. That means we have company and a better chance of someone coming up with a Kit to fix the Issues. Like moving the electronics away from the heat and going back to the Pro Melt 1 valve. LOL
    Mal

Mal Paso means Bad Pass, just so you know.

Boolit Master

My PM2 is an early model and I've got no leakage problems with it.

I use a digital timer to let the PM2 cool down before it's turned off.

I picked mine up on Amazon for $12. I just push the 4 hour button and walk away.
    NRA Benefactor.

I have been using it and I really love the way it works. No drips and the mold guide is nice too, you can adjust it any way you like. One thing I did notice is that the cooling fan hasn't come on once. I let the pot cool down and all. The part of the assembly that has the digital control never gets that hot, at least when I use it, so maybe the fan doesn't need to go on? Any of you guys have your fan kick on, or not at all like mine?

I added an aluminum plate. It helps quite a bit especially emptying a pot.

Attachment 286132
    The sooner I fall behind...the more time I have to catch up with

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast