Inline FabricationRotoMetals2Lee PrecisionWideners
Titan ReloadingRepackboxSnyders JerkyLoad Data
Reloading Everything MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: Lee FCD Mod

Boolit Master
    Dodge Co. GA. Between the Ocmulgee and Little Ocmulgee rivers.

Lee FCD Mod

I had an idea the other day. I was loading some 300 Blk. I started thinking about bullet setback. I had watched a video earlier that day, and the man had problems with crimped rounds moving. Do you think a FCD could be modified to put a cannelure in a case neck? I think you could face the crimp sleeve down, and use it and a mandrel to put one just above the shoulder. IDK if I'm going to do it. Not using an expander generally gives me plenty of neck tension. The machinist/fab tech/engineering student in me makes me always wonder about stuff like this. Thanks for putting up with me.

Sent from my SM-A515U using Tapatalk

US Govt mantra: If it's moving tax it. If it's still moving regulate it. If it stops moving subsidize it

Boolit Buddy

Somewhere between the Red and the Rio Grande
    Sounds like it would work, you might be on to something more folks would be interested in.
    Keep your powder dry and watch your six !!

I don't know...exactly, but Lee says that the FCD will crimp even where there is no cannelure, and I have found that to be true in practice. I've never experienced set back if I used a FCD, and have even used them a couple of time to crimp when the seating die had no crimp and the bullet was loose in the case neck. Lee will custom make them for almost any cartridge, although like everything else involved with reloading there's probably a long wait to get them to do so. As you can tell, I'm an FCD fan.

Boolit Master
    Lee's excellent Factory Crimp Dies come in two versions. One has an internal sliding crimper collet sleeve that presses the case mouth into a "factory" type crimp; usually made for bottleneck cartridges. The other die has a fixed tungsten carbide ring that squeezes the case mouth into a normal crimp; usually made for straight wall cartridges. I like both types but I absolutely love Lee's FCD rifle/collet type crimpers.

Boolit Master
    Dodge Co. GA. Between the Ocmulgee and Little Ocmulgee rivers.
    Quote Originally Posted by 1hole View Post
    Lee's excellent Factory Crimp Dies come in two versions. One has an internal sliding crimper collet sleeve that presses the case mouth into a "factory" type crimp; usually made for bottleneck cartridges. The other die has a fixed tungsten carbide ring that squeezes the case mouth into a normal crimp; usually made for straight wall cartridges. I like both types but I absolutely love Lee's FCD rifle/collet type crimpers.
    My FCD pistol dies have a carbide sizing ring in them, and a floating crimp ring that can be adjusted using the plug.

I was referring to modifying a FCD rifle collet, and using a mandrel inside the case neck.

Sent from my SM-A515U using Tapatalk

US Govt mantra: If it's moving tax it. If it's still moving regulate it. If it stops moving subsidize it

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by 1hole View Post
    You can also get a collet style crimp die for straight wall magnum cases. If they don’t list your caliber they will make it, that’s how I got my .41 Magnum die.