Load DataRepackboxSnyders JerkyWideners
MidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionInline FabricationRotoMetals2
Titan Reloading Reloading Everything

Thread: It Broke

Boolit Master

It Broke

Found some time to head out to the range today with a mix of firearms. I was looking forward to letting some smoke out of my
    CVA Mountain rifle just for the fun it but after about ten or so shots the lock wouldn't stay fully cocked and would stick in the half cocked position. It was a little dicey not being able to get to full cock with a loaded weapon and I ended up shooting it from the hip just to clear the charge. Anyways got home and pulled the lock hoping it was an adjustment but the full cock finger on the tumbler has sheared off leaving just the half cock notch. Oh well such is shooting, after a few phone calls I found that Deer Creek Products has tumblers available and that there are two different sizes used on CVA locks so I'm shipping my broken lock out for repairs so the correct tumbler gets installed.
    Probably will be the last time I get out for a while, my wife is scheduled for a knee replacement in about a month which will tie up a lot of the upcoming summer. At least I wasn't shooting in competition when the old girl broke.

Boolit Buddy

Somewhere between the Red and the Rio Grande
    Sounds like a busy summer , good luck to you and your wife!
    Keep your powder dry and watch your six !!

It'll be OK _ have a somewhat similar issue with the trigger(s) of my CVA Premier Grade Mountain Rifle in .50cal.

When I removed the lock/etc, I found that some small insect had got in there somehow, and gunked up both the lock and the recess that the upper end of the triggers moved in.

A swim in lacquer thinner restored them to normal.

Now I lay me down to sleep
    A gun beside me is what I keep
    If I awake, and you're inside
    The coroner's van is your next ride

L&R sells replacement locks for those. Probably cheaper than you can get it fixed. The L&R lock is American made and actually works.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by freakonaleash View Post
    L&R sells replacement locks for those. Probably cheaper than you can get it fixed. The L&R lock is American made and actually works.
    The replacement tumbler is under twenty dollars which is a lot less than a drop in from L+R which would of been an option if a tumbler couldn't of been located. Even if I swapped out the lock with a L+R I would still fix the CVA one for a future build. The other thing is that the CVA lock is stamped with a three digit number that matches the same three digit number found on the the stock. It's probably a manufacturing or assembly number which shows that it's a factory assembly not a kit.

Boolit Master
    If your sending to deer creek they'll take care of you there good folks.

Boolit Master
    Good luck to your wife on the knee replacement. Push through the rehab, it helps a lot. I speak from experience-I had both replaced at once and was bear hunting in Maine 5 month later.
    SMOKELESS IS JUST A PASSING FAD!-STEVE GARBE

FORMER NJ HUNTER EDUCATION INSTRUCTOR
    GOA LIFE MEMBER
    SASS LIFE MEMBER

ADAPT, IMPROVISE, OVERCOME!
    "ANY MAN WHO THINKS HE CAN BE HAPPY AND PROSPEROUS BY LETTING THE GOVERNMENT TAKE CARE OF HIM, BETTER TAKE A CLOSER LOOK AT THE AMERICAN INDIAN!"-HENRY FORD

Boolit Master
    Happy Fourth of July everybody. I mailed the lock out Friday, hopefully they will get it by mid week and then get back to me about the repair. My wife's knee replacement is scheduled for the end of this month so thanks for all the positive thoughts about the operation.

Boolit Master
    My wife has had both knees replaced.
    The last one , I built he a set of steps for her to excersize on after her surgery.
    It made her getting mobil much faster.

Boolit Master
    I still have a wobble board and a step up from her last knee replacement. Been using them off and on since tearing something in my left knee last year and they really help. Can't say I'm in love with the whole getting old thing but it beats the alternative. I still wake up in the morning, look in the mirror and wonder what the @#$% happened

Boolit Master
    Got to give a heads up about the great service I received from Deer Creek. Got the lock back yesterday repaired and ready to go, they only had it for about five days and with shipping the total cost was under $35.00.

That's great news - to be expected from Deer Creek ( I got a cap box I ordered online & got it 3 days later)
    Now I lay me down to sleep
    A gun beside me is what I keep
    If I awake, and you're inside
    The coroner's van is your next ride