Inline FabricationReloading EverythingLoad DataRotoMetals2
WidenersRepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee Precision
Titan Reloading
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Conventionally lubed boolits in a 300 BLK AR

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by imashooter2 View Post
    I put 20 rounds on target today in proof of concept. The load was 16 grains of RL7 and the Lee bullet that was 165 grains lubed and checked. The book says it should be 1,500 FPS, but I didn’t bring my chronograph, mostly because I don’t care.

Feed through the Lancer magazines was flawless. Function including last round hold open was perfect. Not a ton of shots, but the barrel is clean, and no excessive dirt anywhere else. I do need to do some tuning on the loads/group with 20 shots into 3.6 inches at only 50 yards.

Looks like I have another cast bullet shooter. Thanks everyone for your replies.
    Curious of your barrel length and if you were shooting suppressed or not.

Boolit Grand Master

16 inch 1:8. I don’t own a suppressor.
    ”We know they are lying, they know they are lying, they know we know they are lying, we know they know we know they are lying, yet they are still lying.” –Aleksandr Isayevich Solzhenitsyn

My Straight Shooters thread:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...raight-shooter

The Pewter Pictures and Hallmarks thread:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...-and-hallmarks

I have an AR that appears to have a burr at the gas port hole in the barrel. It gets lead there but still cycles with lubed and checked boolits. It is a .223.
    Paper targets aren't your friends. They won't lie for you and they don't care if your feelings get hurt.

Boolit Master
    Nice and useful thread. I just received a 16-inch 1:8 twist upper from Palmetto yesterday. Now to just find some RL-7 and the Lee mold.
    You guys sizing to .309 or .310?
    Last edited by Abert Rim; 08-11-2021 at 11:11 AM.

Boolit Buddy
    I size at .310 and expand cases first with the lyman .310 expander..
    But they only chamber in 2 of 3 blackouts I have.
    My PSA 10.5" pistol seems to have a tight neck and wont take .310 expanded brass or anything over a .308" bullet before the neck fit gets very sticky.
    Different brass might make it possible, but I have and use strictly reformed LC.

Boolit Grand Master

The Lee C312-155-2R drops at .314 from my buddy’s mold. My rifle slugs .3075 with 5 very wide grooves and skinny little lands almost as if it was purpose designed for cast. I sized to .310.

There is a seller on eBay that has the mold at a reasonable price. I have never dealt with them and make no endorsement. The RL7… good luck!
    ”We know they are lying, they know they are lying, they know we know they are lying, we know they know we know they are lying, yet they are still lying.” –Aleksandr Isayevich Solzhenitsyn

i size to 309, powder coat and then resize to 311, runs thru all the 4 blackouts (rem 700 AAC and 3 ARs) i load for with converted LC brass

Boolit Master
    Attached are pics of 50yds groups I quickly shot in initial testing of
    conventionally lubed bullets in my 8 twist /16" AR. Pistol length gas system.
    These are first loading at 15 gr IMR 4227 for function and initial zeros. 2-7x old Weaver.
    Bullets were sized to .309 and lubed with MTL.
    Note I was shooting off a bipod from bench. You can see I lost one here and there out of groups. Function, ejection and hold open were good.
    beltfed/arnie

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2357.JPG 
Views:	34 
Size:	112.0 KB 
ID:	287464Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2358.JPG 
Views:	39 
Size:	138.3 KB 
ID:	287465

Boolit Master
    Arnie, there is always one wise guy with a mind of his own when shooting for group, eh?

Boolit Buddy milsurpcollector1970's Avatar
    Like others have said, I would get leading around the tail of the bolt. Powder coating is kind of a PITA but if its setup right its much faster than convetional lubing

I don't own a 300 BLK, but do own several .30 Carbines, and I think it and the .300 are close enough to make the comparison.

I'm a dyed-in-the-wool lube buy. I own a Star lubrisizer which not only lubes/sizes bullets incredibly fast, but because of its push-thru design, makes for concentric, accurate bullets. But earlier this year I found a company offering a 115 gr. cast RN plain-base bullet, Hi-Tek coated for less than $40 per 500, and I figured "what the heck", and ordered some.

They came in a few weeks ago....

....and I immediately set about testing them. First of all, I ran them up to a bit over 1900 fps with zero, zilcho, NO leading whatsoever. Impressive. I'll say here and now that every carbine I've tested, and that'd be at least a half-dozen, and probably more, shoot cast better than jacketed. So when I tested these in a couple of carbines for accuracy at 100 yds., they did pretty well-

But things fell apart at 200 yds. My 200 yd. target is a 24" gong and the best I could do is keep 5 of 10 shots on the steel. With some 5 shot strings, I did good to keep 1 of 5 on the target. Close examination of the bullets showed two potential problems; an off-center sprue, and more importantly, inconsistent coating on the beveled portion of the base of the bullets-

I've always wondered how a person could roll bullets around in powder and get consistent thickness of the coating. As a comparison, these same carbines pretty easily groups traditionally lubed/sized/checked bullets into 6" at 200 yds., with the commercial examples often grouping tighter.

I will definitely continue to use these bullets for 100 yd. and less plinking, but that's it.

So there's my 2˘ on the subject.

35W
    The biggest waste of time is arguing with the fool and fanatic who doesn't care about truth or reality, but only the victory of his beliefs and illusions.
    There are people who, for all the evidence presented to them, do not have the ability to understand.

NRA Life Member

Boolit Grand Master

I’m not even remotely interested in buying coated boolits. The whole point of the exercise is low cost and ease of manufacture.

Quote Originally Posted by imashooter2 View Post
    I’m not even remotely interested in buying coated boolits. The whole point of the exercise is low cost and ease of manufacture.
    I wasn't even remotely trying to sell you on coated bullets, just passing along my experience. I'll continue to use my own traditionally cast lubed & sized bullets. The coated bullets, at $35.00 per 500, are simply an inexpensive, but less accurate alternative.

35W
    The biggest waste of time is arguing with the fool and fanatic who doesn't care about truth or reality, but only the victory of his beliefs and illusions.
    There are people who, for all the evidence presented to them, do not have the ability to understand.

NRA Life Member

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12