MidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersRotoMetals2Repackbox
Snyders JerkyReloading EverythingInline FabricationTitan Reloading
Load Data Lee Precision

Thread: Dillon 550B and RCBS 223 dies setup?

Boolit Bub

Dillon 550B and RCBS 223 dies setup?

Hello CB'ers

I've been reloading .223 on a RCBS Jr single stage press using RCBS 2 die set FL die set. I did case prep on a RCBS trimmer machine (the one with the motorized cutter and the primer cleaning/reaming heads). That was all well and good but a bit slow to keep a few AR's fed. I am using a Lyman "orange block" chamber gauge which has served me well to check the size of my loaded rounds. I loaded a few hundred 223 and 300 BO and adjusted everything as the instructions (hazy but OK) indicated until I got regular reliable rounds that passed the Lyman gauge and worked in my AR's. So far, so good!

I bought a Dillon 550B some years ago and have never used it. I got it cleaned and set up and it seems to work ok. I'm struggling to get the RCBS dies set up to work in the 550. I do have the .223 conversion kit installed on the Dillon...all OK there.

The problem I'm having is sizing / decapping. Do I set the Dillon up so that the die touches the shellplate as I did with the RCBS single stage die? I think the answer to this is "yes" but I'm not sure .

Has anyone been down this road before ? I have size/deprime in station 1, powder drop in 2, and seat/crimp in station 3 (4 is empty).

I have several old Star reloaders that I use for handgun rounds, so this type of 4 station progressive is familiar to me.

Thanks
    John

Boolit Grand Master
    Sounds right to me. Keep in mind it has been almost thirty years since I had a 550B, and I think I only loaded handgun rounds with it.

I'd load a few (like three or four) and check that they fit your gauge/ barrel, before I loaded a few thousand.

Just part of setting up any press, make sure what you are doing is going to work before loading a bunch.

Robert

I used RCBS dies for 223. I used a Dillon case gage to verify the die sets correctly. I can’t think of another way to do so. If I recall correctly, the die sets a little high of the shell plate. I ended up sizing on the single stage press then trimming before I completed the rounds.

Boolit Grand Master

I've loaded quite a few 223/5.56 cartridges on my Dillon 550B over the years. I use RCBS dies and went to the RCBS X-die [standard 223 as the AR or SB die is not needed for milspec ARs.] as soon as they were available. The X-die eliminates case stretch and the need for trimming.

For jacketed bullets;

With the FL X-die at station 1 I adjusted it to FL size the case with mid length headspace in a Dillon case gauge. The die mouth is a bit off the shell holder. All cases thus sized have functioned 100% in numerous ARs.

Station 2 is the powder charging station.

At station 3 I adjust the seating die so it does not crimp but only seats the bullet to the correct OAL

If the bullet has a canalure and I use a Lee FCD in station 4 to crimp the case mouth into the canalure. If no canalure I do not attempt any crimp.
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

Boolit Bub

Thanks all. I will try and carefully adjust the FL die set I have accordingly. I'm not sure what an X die is, mine just indicate they're RCBS FL. I also have a SB sizing die from RCBS but I'm not sure I ever got that to work years ago when I bought it, and I did not use it on the single stage press that I loaded the 223/300 BO (which all chambered and fired well).

I'll go slow and just do a few at a time like I did with the RCBS Jr. I've found that if rounds fit the Lyman gauge they'll chamber in my rifles.

I'm going to deprime on a standalone press (my old Lee turret has served this task for years and years) and wet tumble first. I'll pull the decap pin from the RCBS size die I think.

I probably should have started first with some pistol caliber, but the 550 is very very similar to my old Star presses.

Each station of the shell plate may produce a different sizing.

Boolit Buddy
    When doing any bottle neck rifle case the first thing I do is remove the primer with a universal de-priming die.
    Second is to tumble the cases.
    Third is to resize.
    Fourth is to tumble again.
    Fifth is to trim to length.
    Then they get run through the 550 to get resized again and primed, drop power, install the bullet and crimp.
    This is a lot of steps but it produces constantly good ammo.

Boolit Master
    Im with Dave. First step is sizing and depriming on a single stage press. Then tumble and clear flash holes of media. Then onto the 550. Station one is an NOE neck expander in a Lee Universal Expander Die and priming. Second is powder drop. Third is boolit seating without crimp. Fourth is Crimp. I am using Dillon dies except for the first station. The Dillon Crimp die is similar to the Lee Factory Crimp die in my experience.

I run a Dillon RL450 (pre 550) to load for a M16A1 for years. . Fired brass got rolled around in a fluffy towel to clean. Then lubed on a pad. Inside neck , lubed & brushed.
    1. FL resize, deprime, set new primer. 2. Drop powder. 3. Seat bullet. Wipe lube off finished rounds, by rolling in towel.

Before the first loading, FL size & trim brass to 1.740" Yes, shorted then the recommended length. But the length is used when setting up a RCBS X Die. I just used the standard 1970s RCBS die. No more trimming.

Current RCBS FL dies are made different now. May be an issue?

Boolit Master
    I have a couple of 550's but I resize and prime with one of my RCBS. The shell holder touches on both the RCBS and Dillon. When I get a few hundred prepped I start out powder dropping with the Dillon. It will work both ways but I target shoot and like the same head stamp and length in the same batch. I have about 600 ready for powder. It's slower but I ain't in a hurry these days.

That’s the way I have mine set up, except I seat and crimp in separate steps. Screw the sizing die down until it touches the shellplate, then back it off about 1/8 turn or so. Be sure to use plenty of case lube. Stuck cases are no fun. Don’t ask how I know.
    "Experience is a series of non-fatal mistakes"

Disarming is a mistake free people only get to make once...

Boolit Master

There are scads of videos available on how to set up a Dillon press. Why not take the time and watch a couple?
    NRA Benefactor.

Boolit Bub

Thanks for the comments all. I've taken the decap pin out of the sizing die and will continue to deprime then tumble before heading to the Dillon. It's good to take in all your comments to see how others approach this.
    Last edited by JohnFreeman; 06-30-2021 at 02:37 PM.