RepackboxReloading EverythingTitan ReloadingLee Precision
MidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationRotoMetals2Snyders Jerky
Load Data Wideners

Thread: 223 Blanks

Boolit Man

223 Blanks

Anyone ever tried to use old military 223 Blanks (crimped top) and a Trim die to make a workable brass? My micrometer says they are almost too short. Or is this just a waste of time, and they should just go to recycler? Joe

Boolit Buddy
    don't. blank cases are not intended to be loaded to the pressures of live rounds.

Boolit Bub
    By what i have read the cases used for blanks are not up to par with those used to load live rounds. I guess it is how the contractors for the military use up their defective cases. I have read in two or three places...Handloader Magazine being one of them...not to use blank cases for live round fire.

Boolit Man
    Most blank cases have an oversizesd primer hole.It keeps the back preasure to a minn. So the primer doesnt back out. All companies that make brass for blanks warn against using for live ammo. It throws the preasure spike out of whack. I load losts of 45 cal blanks for cowboy mounted shooting.

Boolit Master

Iam sure they make a special case for blanks. would cost too much. anyway the weigh the same and they work just fine in the old 06 with the red card insert and the 308 with the long nose. the crimped would work for another forming job. the primer /pocket is the same in the several hundred I have used