Lee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingWideners
RepackboxReloading EverythingLoad DataInline Fabrication
RotoMetals2
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Good old USPS

Good old USPS

This must be the week for drama on CB. About 3 months back I sold fellow forum member Camba some boolits. Promptly shipped and sent him track number. Some time later he contacted me that he hadn’t recieved boolits. After we waited appropriate time I sent him refund. Then I start hassling with PO for insurance/ SFR box. They kept telling me & Camba boolits were in route to be delivered. To my surprise Camba contacted me and said boolits had arrived. Camba promptly send me a refund of his refund.
    Jan 21/21 a forum member sent me USPS money orders for several hundred dollars.
    They have never shown up. He lives in big metro area. Same week I sent large check to suburb of NYC. Weeks went by, no show. I sent another check Priority and it made it.
    Moral of the story, if you are sending large amounts through mail, send it priority. Also a Certified Cashiers Check is much easier to deal with if lost than fooling with USPS.
    Regular first class mail is chancy to say the least. It’s optional to throw it in dumpster or deliver these days.

Boolit Master
    I think every USPS horror story can be matched by a similar one with UPS or Fed Ex. The fact that I could send CARE packages by USPS to troops all over the world for a very reasonable sum has always made me choose them over the others, all things being equal.

Boolit Master
    Yep. I sold some stuff on here a while back, and someone sent me a USPSMO that never showed up. Took a couple months to get the claim as lost to go through, get a refund, and send another one. Never showed up. It'll be a while before the new claim goes through, but we'll need to find another way for him to get me payment.

The forum member has been relentless in trying to get the money to me, it's definitely not his fault. He's got more patience than I do for dealing with the post office.

Crazy thing is, I've sent and received stuff since then and gotten it no problem. It seems like there are certain facilities on certain routes where things just fall off the face of the earth.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    The best story by far was when my son ordered a hand made set of bicycle rims. Very pricey. They came packed very well in a box via FedEx. When he received them, there was a boot print on the side and a hole in the box. the rims were not harmed, but the fact that someone stepped on the box was aggravating.
    At the time, he was still on facebook, so he posted a picture on the FedEx page and asked if it was a size 10 or 11 shoe. Someone from FedEx actually answered that they had no way of telling. SMHID.
    “Coincidence is God’s way of remaining anonymous.”

The first three months of this year getting anything shipped to me via USPS was an exercise in patience and stress management. I had a package mailed to me here in North Florida from North Georgia and two days after it was mailed another one from Ukraine (as in Eastern Europe) which had to go through the usual customs delay. They both arrived in my box on the same day. Ten days from Ukraine, twelve from North Georgia.

Starting about April the situation has slowly improved. Now I usually get my package a day or so earlier than their estimated arrival time.
    Chance favors the prepared mind.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by bakerjw View Post
    The best story by far was when my son ordered a hand made set of bicycle rims. Very pricey. They came packed very well in a box via FedEx. When he received them, there was a boot print on the side and a hole in the box. the rims were not harmed, but the fact that someone stepped on the box was aggravating.
    At the time, he was still on facebook, so he posted a picture on the FedEx page and asked if it was a size 10 or 11 shoe. Someone from FedEx actually answered that they had no way of telling. SMHID.
    A long time ago, when I was a kid, I worked shipping and receiving for Guitar Center. We regularly got pallets of acoustic guitars with holes from the truck forks right through the side of the boxes, through 3 or 4 guitars. Boot prints on the boxes were common. We regularly made damage claims. The upside, and the whole reason I wanted to work there, was that I could buy anything that was even slightly damaged for store cost (after the damage claim). I had that job just long enough to get a Les Paul, a decent drum kit, a good set of congas, a PA system, and a number of other, smaller instruments, mics, and so on. I also had the job of separating the guitars that came in from their cases, cables, picks, strings, and everything else the manufacturer put in as part of the package, so the store could sell you all that stuff separately. I usually got to keep the cables, picks, strings, drumsticks, etc, so not a bad deal for a broke, working musician.

But the worst, the one that killed me, was the store transfer. We had a pair of 1951 Nocasters, of which fewer than 500 were ever made, shipped to the store. These are the original, pre-telecaster guitars, before he had named them telecaster, hand made by Leo Fender himself. And Guitar Center had two of them, one in near mint condition, and one that looked like it was fished out of a swamp. These things are truly irreplaceable, pieces of history, but they were insured for $250k each.

The boxes came in with tire tracks across them. The dirty one was fine after some TLC, no noticeable long term damage, but the mint condition one was broken in 3 places; twice across the body and the neck was snapped in half. I was horrified.

The shipper was UPS, by the way.

Once I had to file a claim for a package sent via USPS. I don’t recommend it unless you have plenty of spare time, not in a rush, and enjoy getting taken advantage of.
    The sooner I fall behind...the more time I have to catch up with

Boolit Master
    I've been on the phone it's fedex for about two hours. The driver said the package tha didn't need signed for couldn't be delivered at 5:44. Problem with that is wife, daughter myself and a customer was home at that time. Parts for two ac units and a fridge.

I've talked to five FedEx people, all in a different county, and not sure I will get it tomorrow. It might take a week for FedEx but here UPS is always on time.

I'm not happy tonight and my customers are worse then I am. Why say you tried to deliver a box that needs no signature when people are home?

There are no consequences if you work for FedEx.

Boolit Master

I talked to the post master (a nice looking lady) as we conducted our business. I asked her to track a first class envelope (a shotgun extractor) that was 2 weeks late. Unsolicited she launched on the USPS, how in her many years the service has gotten so rotten she was almost ashamed to work there anymore and would be leaving soon, a truly disgruntled employee.
    "My main ambition in life is to be on the devil's most wanted list."
    Leonard Ravenhill

I have two brother in laws that work for usps.
    They both tell me that they ate overworked and overstressed.

1 of them started stealing meds from packages to keep up with the pace of the job. Got caught and was fired.

The other one is nearing hes 20 year mark.

Both have said its cheaper for Usps to ingore all claims in hopes you will go away.

And i have a brother that flys for fedex.

He loves bieng a flying truck driver. That never touches a pice of cargo.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    I have received, no better say that the packages were left at the front door and both usps and ups never bothered to ring the bell. Heck I was home in all instances. Frank

Boolit Grand Master bedbugbilly's Avatar
    The check you sent to the NYC suburb probably got "mislaid" somewhere as they were probably too busy getting the crates of fake ballots organized for the next election . . . .

Boolit Master
    I am always hearing Horror stories with all the carriers , USPS, UPS, Fedex .. I for one have never lost a package, or not received one . Mostly on time or there about. maybe just luck i don't Know. I found all to be reliable and basically somewhat on time
    NRA Endowment Member
    International Ammunition Association
    New York, the Empire State Where Empires were Won and Lost

Boolit Master
    a $250k guitar that was not shipped in a metal road case? that just plain irresponsible in my opinion. Should have been packed in the same type case big touring bands pack prized instruments in.
    Quote Originally Posted by ryanmattes View Post
    A long time ago, when I was a kid, I worked shipping and receiving for Guitar Center. We regularly got pallets of acoustic guitars with holes from the truck forks right through the side of the boxes, through 3 or 4 guitars. Boot prints on the boxes were common. We regularly made damage claims. The upside, and the whole reason I wanted to work there, was that I could buy anything that was even slightly damaged for store cost (after the damage claim). I had that job just long enough to get a Les Paul, a decent drum kit, a good set of congas, a PA system, and a number of other, smaller instruments, mics, and so on. I also had the job of separating the guitars that came in from their cases, cables, picks, strings, and everything else the manufacturer put in as part of the package, so the store could sell you all that stuff separately. I usually got to keep the cables, picks, strings, drumsticks, etc, so not a bad deal for a broke, working musician.

But the worst, the one that killed me, was the store transfer. We had a pair of 1951 Nocasters, of which fewer than 500 were ever made, shipped to the store. These are the original, pre-telecaster guitars, before he had named them telecaster, hand made by Leo Fender himself. And Guitar Center had two of them, one in near mint condition, and one that looked like it was fished out of a swamp. These things are truly irreplaceable, pieces of history, but they were insured for $250k each.

The boxes came in with tire tracks across them. The dirty one was fine after some TLC, no noticeable long term damage, but the mint condition one was broken in 3 places; twice across the body and the neck was snapped in half. I was horrified.

The shipper was UPS, by the way.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by farmbif View Post
    a $250k guitar that was not shipped in a metal road case? that just plain irresponsible in my opinion. Should have been packed in the same type case big touring bands pack prized instruments in.
    Well, they were shipped from the Hollywood store. Apparently not the brightest guys in the warehouse out there, considering they had SKB flight cases in the store that they sold. They were both in old Fender cases with wood frames. At least they were double boxed... ?

Made me sick to my stomach opening them up, and the store manager flipped his lid.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Drm50 View Post
    This must be the week for drama on CB. About 3 months back I sold fellow forum member Camba some boolits. Promptly shipped and sent him track number. Some time later he contacted me that he hadn’t recieved boolits. After we waited appropriate time I sent him refund. Then I start hassling with PO for insurance/ SFR box. They kept telling me & Camba boolits were in route to be delivered. To my surprise Camba contacted me and said boolits had arrived. Camba promptly send me a refund of his refund.
    Jan 21/21 a forum member sent me USPS money orders for several hundred dollars.
    They have never shown up. He lives in big metro area. Same week I sent large check to suburb of NYC. Weeks went by, no show. I sent another check Priority and it made it.
    Moral of the story, if you are sending large amounts through mail, send it priority. Also a Certified Cashiers Check is much easier to deal with if lost than fooling with USPS.
    Regular first class mail is chancy to say the least. It’s optional to throw it in dumpster or deliver these days.
    I bought a rifle of gb years ago and the seller wanted a money order. sent it priority the next state over. in fact.. ir was on the border of the next state.. I should have just made the 2 hour drive and grabbed the rifle.. but.. long story short.. USPS lost a priority envelope and money order for about 5 weeks. I had to make lots of postmaster and postmaster general calls to even get anyone to look.

In the end I was about to do the lost money order thing.. kicker is YOU HAVE TO PAY to have it re-issued.. and you have to wait some number of days for it to expire first... So in the end you are out the postage.. the money order fee, and the replacement fee.

USPS is a joke...

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Hogtamer View Post
    I talked to the post master (a nice looking lady) as we conducted our business. I asked her to track a first class envelope (a shotgun extractor) that was 2 weeks late. Unsolicited she launched on the USPS, how in her many years the service has gotten so rotten she was almost ashamed to work there anymore and would be leaving soon, a truly disgruntled employee.
    Did this First Class envelope have any tracking assigned to it?
    NRA Benefactor.

I recently sent my granddaughter a birthday card, from Denver to L.A., and it took a month to get there. When I thought that one wasn’t going to make it, I sent another one, and it’s been over a month now and it’s still not there.
    "Experience is a series of non-fatal mistakes"

Disarming is a mistake free people only get to make once...

I bought an older 5C fixture off the OWWM site last Saturday @3:30 from a gentleman in Santa Monica Ca.

It was waiting for me at our post office in the mnts of Virginia on Monday morning @9:00.

Said something to the post master who helped me with an armful of stuff about it,and he had no answer? Sent a M.O. to someone on here that was,either Tn. or Kentucky and it took 5+ days? Not a lot of rhyme nor reason? I do know,anything coming through Chicago hub is gonna be very late. Stuff from Ca.,and TX gets here quick.... Fla. isn't bad either.

Boolit Buddy

Bought a lube/sizer die off eBay, seller shipped 6/22, arrived USPS Orlando regional facility 6/23 and hasn't left yet.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast