Titan ReloadingSnyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2
Inline FabricationWidenersReloading EverythingRepackbox
Lee Precision Load Data

Thread: Range Scrap Lead Shovel Sieve -- 89 Lbs in 20 Minutes

Range Scrap Lead Shovel Sieve -- 89 Lbs in 20 Minutes

After growing tired of picking lead out of the berms at the range one or two slugs at a time with my bare fingers, and bending over to do it, I decided to put a long handle on a sieve and give it a try. (And in the summer here in the Arizona desert, that dirt and the lead get really hot -- too hot to touch comfortably.)

So I bought a very old spade shovel for $4 at a local thrift store. Handle was severely weathered but strong, and the steel head was loose. It took more time to restore the shovel than the rest of the project. Had to fill the wood with Durham's Rock Hard Putty, sand, varnish, wire brush the heavy rust off; and then Gorilla-glue and bolt the head back on. One beautiful shovel now. Shame to cut it.

Using a metal cutting bandsaw, I cut about 5" of the nose off, leaving the handle and a sturdy steel support.

I found a scrap piece of flat expanded metal at a local metal supplier. They sell the offcut remnants by the pound; no cutting fee. Pretty heavy and stiff: about 1/16". Needed a piece about 14-1/2" square. I cut it to size using a saber saw and a metal cutting blade.

I clamped the expanded metal to the bottom of the shovel, following the curve of what was the blade, and drilled four 1/4" holes to take 1/2" long 1/4-20 bolts.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Range Lead Scrap Sieve Shovel cropped IMG_0562.jpg 
Views:	64 
Size:	38.0 KB 
ID:	285358

Name:	Range Lead Scrap Sieve Shovel IMG_0557.jpg 
Views:	47 
Size:	82.0 KB 
ID:	285361

I took the sieve/shovel and a 5-gallon steel bucket to the range. It was 115 degrees. No one was there, so I had the pick of bays and as much time as I needed.

In less than 20 minutes, with very little work, in that heat, I had half a bucket of range scrap. No bending over. No touching the lead or dirt. I did wear gloves. I also discovered that it would work better if I bent the sides of the expanded metal up so I could sieve side to side.

I found I only had barely to scrape the surface -- no more than an inch deep or so. I'm not taking heaping shovels full -- just pushing the expanded metal just under the surface and lifting up, allowing dirt and sand to fall where I just took it. Very little disturbance to the berm. I'm not walking on the berm or pulling the berm down. Just scraping the surface. And it's not an excessively heavy load.

I found the most concentrated lead "deposits" were at about 5 feet above the floor of the bay (where people aim at paper targets, of course). Here's where the long handle of the shovel really worked, giving me excellent reach.

I'd pull the shovel back and shake it a bit to get any remaining dirt off, and inspect for rocks and other detritus (like busted clays and wood pieces from broken target frames) then pour the haul into the bucket. It came out surprisingly clean. Each sieve-full had probably 30-50 bullets in it.

The only problem is that the half-full bucket weighed, it turns out, 89 pounds. Note to self: don't overfill. If you take a plastic bucket, be especially sure not to put too much lead in it or the handle will come off and you'll have a problem lifting the thing. I'd only put about 3" of lead in a 5-gal plastic bucket. YMMV.

Name:	Range Lead Scrap 89 Lbs fixed IMG_0567.jpg 
Views:	54 
Size:	41.9 KB 
ID:	285357

After some further modifications to the shovel to allow more sieve action, and some relocation of the expanded metal to allow a couple of inches of expanded metal in the rear to be bent up to catch lead from falling off the back of the shovel as I shook it to filter out dirt, the final design is now this:

Name:	Range Lead Scrap Sieve Shovel IMG_0564.jpg 
Views:	48 
Size:	120.2 KB 
ID:	285352

Name:	Range Lead Scrap Sieve Shovel IMG_0565.JPG 
Views:	44 
Size:	123.1 KB 
ID:	285359

Name:	Range Lead Scrap Sieve Shovel IMG_0563.jpg 
Views:	48 
Size:	118.8 KB 
ID:	285360
    (The rusty part is the nose of the original shovel I cut off)

Other methods I've seen involve large wooden frames with wire mesh on the bottom and handles on the frame. You shovel bullet-laden dirt into the mesh on the ground, then lift and shake, throw out the rocks and then pour into a bucket.

Too much shoveling, bending, lifting. Then you have to put the dirt back.

This method uses a small sieve on a shovel and hardly disturbs the dirt. And it's compact: shovel and a bucket. I did bring a dolly for moving the full and very heavy bucket around. Good thing. I also brought a flat nosed shovel and a rake in case I had to dress the berm, but they were unnecessary.

Boolit Master
    Good job!

But 115°? Too hot for me, no matter how well your shovel sieve works.

That's a very creative and well thought out solution. Thanks for sharing.

Boolit Master
    That’s awesome!

Boolit Master

That is great. 89 lbs in a few minutes is fantastic. You are all set for " free" lead there. I salute your effort and ingenuity. I get about 10 or 15 lbs at a time at our range just picking off the top at the sweet spots where someone was shooting at a target. The soil here is not the least bit sandy but I am still able to do pretty good after a rain , and we have been getting some rain here. Then comes the rendering into clean, usable alloy. Maybe add a hand cart to your equipment list when you go to the range.
    Quis Quis Quis, Quis Liberat Canes

/////////BREAKING NEWS////////////
    Millions and millions of American shooters and sportsmen got up, went to work, contributed to society in useful and meaningful ways all over the nation and shot no one today! How do they controll themselves?? Experts Baffled....

I LIKE IKE

I used the hardware cloth sieve method you mentioned for many years. I looked at shovels that had holes drilled in them that were similar to your idea and found they were too expensive for what I was doing. You have a great idea. Pure Redneck Genius. Let us know how well it holds up.

If the ends start bending up, get an old steel garden rake and use it to pull the dirt and lead onto the shovel.

Using the rake and screen I was able to get similar results as you. But then at the range I go to the lead is literally covering the surface and all you have to do is rake it down.
    A vote for anyone other then the conservative candidates is a vote for the liberal candidates.

Very nice!!!

Now that you made the framework it's easy enough to put a skin of 1/4" mesh on it if needed to catch smaller pieces.

Myself I simply take a rake to the range and rake the berm and in from of +/- 30 steel targets. The steel targets have flattened lead bullets in front of them. It's nothing to fill a 5 gallon bucket 2/3rd's full in +/- 10 minutes. I get more junk raking and 150# of this range scrap ='s 100# of ingots.

I wish I could dig down in the berm like you can, the rock hard clay here will not let me.

That really is an excellent setup that your made!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Sasquatch-1 View Post
    I looked at shovels that had holes drilled in them that were similar to your idea and found they were too expensive for what I was doing. You have a great idea. Pure Redneck Genius. Let us know how well it holds up.

If the ends start bending up, get an old steel garden rake and use it to pull the dirt and lead onto the shovel.

Using the rake and screen I was able to get similar results as you. But then at the range I go to the lead is literally covering the surface and all you have to do is rake it down.
    I considered a sifting shovel with holes in them. But they're $89! Plus tax and shipping. Probably $100 or more before it's done, And I didn't know if it would work.

I thought about drilling a bunch of 3/8" holes in a used shovel, but it's surprisingly difficult to drill a shovel blade. Just drilling those four 1/4" mounting-bolt holes produced blue chips and dulled my drill bit (and, truth be told, I initially drilled with a #7 and then tapped the holes. And broke a tap on the tough steel. Stupid. Just drill 1/4" holes with cutting oil, and use a nut and bolt. Shovel steel is tough, by design. A plasma cutter might work better, but I don't have one.

Name:	Range Sifter-Shovel-768x512.jpg 
Views:	30 
Size:	170.0 KB 
ID:	285373
    https://beaconathletics.com/store/fi...sifter-shovel/

Other designs have slots instead of holes.

I settled on expanded metal because I actually found an offcut about 24 inches square that was cheap. It's quite strong, especially with the side bends in it to form a box. No flexing at all. Remember, I'm not "digging," just skimming the surface.
    Last edited by Liberty1776; 06-29-2021 at 03:25 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by frkelly74 View Post
    TThe soil here is not the least bit sandy but I am still able to do pretty good after a rain , and we have been getting some rain here.
    We're here in the Colorado River area of NW Arizona. We haven't had real rain in at least a year. Our soil is a mixture of sand, rock and some kind of clay, left over from Noah's Flood.

But our pistol bays were created by caterpillar tractors pushing berms up maybe 20 feet high, so the dirt is not a native backdrop. And so many people shoot here that the lead is constantly plowing up the surface.

I find it interesting that penetration is so shallow. The bullets hit the dirt, flatten out and simply stop.

We don't shoot much steel except for Cowboy Action and Steel Challenge, but those targets are set up for meets. When that happens, most of the lead hits the steel, splatters, and goes mostly down. A few miss and hit the berm behind. I haven't really looked into harvesting the splattered lead.

The majority of our range shooting is into and through paper targets. The bullets continue on to the berm behind, where they hit the dirt and pretty much sit there. You think you're looking at rocks, but it's actually lead.

Quote Originally Posted by Forrest r View Post
    ...The steel targets have flattened lead bullets in front of them. It's nothing to fill a 5 gallon bucket 2/3rd's full in +/- 10 minutes. I get more junk raking and 150# of this range scrap ='s 100# of ingots.

I wish I could dig down in the berm like you can, the rock hard clay here will not let me.
    If your rock hard clay is as you describe, I doubt digging would yield much lead. A bullet simply can't go through it. It's why sandbags are so effective around defensive positions. Small arms can't penetrate. Your range setup seems ideal. Just rake it up and melt it down!

Quote Originally Posted by kevin c View Post

But 115°? Too hot for me, no matter how well your shovel sieve works.
    As we say in these parts, "It's a dry heat...."

Name:	It's a dry heat.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	37.3 KB 
ID:	285374

On the other hand, with a cooling wet rag on my neck, a proper hat and shooting from under a shade roof, it's like I have a private shooting range. I try to be optimistic. Then I come home and jump in my pool.

Boolit Master

well done Liberty1776 and thanks for sharing. Unfortunately my club forbids berm mining.
    “Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in the world. But, the Marines don't have that problem.” Ronald Reagan

Boolit Master

Yeah, cool...........
    JMHO-YMMV
    dd884
    gary@2texastrucks.com
    Gary D. Peek

Boolit Grand Master

Thats a neat idea. It seems to work well for you.

Boolit Grand Master
    Good idea and execution.
    Don Verna