Snyders JerkyTitan ReloadingReloading EverythingRepackbox
Lee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Wideners
Inline Fabrication Load Data
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Is it hot enough yet

Boolit Master
    Close to da Creaux,Hang'n out in Swamp's and Bayou's
    I saw in the news that the PNW was melting down and may fall off in the Pacific ocean ?
    We don't have to worry about the heat to much along the Gulf, It rains once or twice a day
    Then the sun comes back out and you get steamed.

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    Quote Originally Posted by hoodat View Post
    My cooling device -- an old cotton shirt with sleeves cut off. Soak it down, wring it out, put it on. When it dries, repeat.

Im in Eastern Oregon, and we're having records broken. I finally decided to take my old beater Cherokee to the shop to see if they could fix the AC. Prolly spend a grand to fix a rig that's worth -- a grand. jd
    Leave the long sleeves on it, it works better.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

It's the rainy season in Florida. It's hot and humid, or hot, humid, and raining.

The only time it is actually cool is when a thunderstorm stalls then proceeds to drop multiple inches of rain. When it stops it might dip into the seventies briefly, but you'll have to wade to get wherever it is you're going. No matter what once the hurricane season starts it's going to be sticky outside.
    Chance favors the prepared mind.

Quote Originally Posted by Idaho45guy View Post
    This would be the equivalent of it being -10 in Dallas in November.
    Does -3 count? We did that for several days in February.....along with no (grid) power for 3 full days.
    The bottom line is, we have become so spoiled.
    NRA Benefactor

Boolit Grand Master
    out of here, wandering somewhere in the SW.
    We here in the PHX area are having a cool spell.............only 105 for highs for the next several days. Drops of rain in the forcast but nothing to write home about. We normally have highs in the 110-116 range this time of the year. The NW is burning up. Friends in Seattle and Portland are going crazy because most do not have A/C. The loony liberals on the LEFT coast could use a good dunking in the Pacific ocean when the land melts off!!!

Here in the desert SW we live by a/c and heat pumps!

Banned
    Western Oregon, 115°, 116° and 117° with 132° on the hot side of the house Monday. My AC decided to quit (dead capacitor) on Monday

It's supposed to cool down to the mid 90's today.

Dittos the heat pumps B'Jim! We're in Maine which isn't supposed to get this hot and we live by them too. They're great pieces of gear.

We had 2 installed right before the heat hit last summer and we fell in love with them. It's A/C that isn't obnoxious. It's like the A/C at the theater or the mall. It just there. And in the winter it's relatively inexpensive heat that is also quiet. Doesn't work worth a hoot in a power failure though so there must be a heat backup. I had our oil tank fillled at the start of the heating season and we didn't touch a drop.

Boolit Master
    Just south ofPortland OR went to get food yesterday car thermometer said 115 at 6:00 pm. at 8:00 pm it was 82. Heat wave is over. Now if it would just rain for a few hours.

Boolit Master
    We consider anything above 75F too hot! It's 93F outside but 62F inside! I know where I'll be.
    Last edited by NyFirefighter357; 06-29-2021 at 04:16 PM.

Boolit Master
    Around here when it got pretty hot, some would say that it was a bad time to try to sell land to Yankees. From y'all's temps, might not be a bad time after all. So far we've had highs in the mid 90's is all. Not too bad for sitting outside in the shade, if one has a refreshing cold beverage and a good book. At least that was my experience last Saturday afternoon.
    Britons shall never be slaves.

Boolit Master

94 here a little while ago. A lot of years we don't hit 90 all summer. As long as I'm in the shade I'm OK. In fact, the heat just bakes all the arthritis pains out of my joints. Just came in from changing a 38" tractor tire and I actually feel good. I think about shoveling snow and the price of coal and the heat feels even better. Got to look on the bright side. We need rain around here. Crops are really drying out.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	g3MyxfGl.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	54.8 KB 
ID:	285391

Boolit Buddy
    115 F today, still in the hundred teens tomorrow and 100+ through next Wednesday at least. Took a surface temp on the asphalt in my driveway at 6pm and it was 147 F. Concrete was a "cool" 136 F. This isn't supposed to happen in the Pacific NW! Not for this extended of a streak anyway.

Boolit Master
    Yes it’s hot in the PNW:

https://weather.com/weather/today/l/...bb012547c5c58e

Three44s
    Quote Originally Posted by Bret4207

“There is more to this than dumping lead in a hole.”

Boolit Master

Hit 109 in my town today. All 100 year records shattered. Had to leave around noon to go to an eye appointment, then had dinner and played dominoes until 10 pm with my folks. Girlfriend and I got home and it was 88 degrees in my house.

Opened up all the windows and exterior doors, and placed large fans in strategic areas and the bedroom went from 88 to 81 in 20 minutes. Have a fan blowing directly on the GF and she is fast asleep.

I'll be up another 4 hours before I go to bed. Hopefully it will be cool by then. Supposed to be 104 tomorrow.
    "Luck don't live out here. Wolves don't kill the unlucky deer; they kill the weak ones..." Jeremy Renner in Wind River

Here on the Long Beach Peninsula on the left side of WA yesterday was 101 degrees. Today it was only 74 degrees. Hoping for the same tomorrow

Boolit Grand Master
    out of here, wandering somewhere in the SW.
    Quote Originally Posted by BJK View Post
    Dittos the heat pumps B'Jim! We're in Maine which isn't supposed to get this hot and we live by them too. They're great pieces of gear.

We had 2 installed right before the heat hit last summer and we fell in love with them. It's A/C that isn't obnoxious. It's like the A/C at the theater or the mall. It just there. And in the winter it's relatively inexpensive heat that is also quiet. Doesn't work worth a hoot in a power failure though so there must be a heat backup. I had our oil tank fillled at the start of the heating season and we didn't touch a drop.
    If you love heat pumps, they you will REALLY like my set-up. I installed an 8KW solar array two winters and , with the almost every-day bright sun we have here in PHX, our entire all-electric house runs for free most days! Even in the dead heat of summer. It's nice to walk into the cool 75°F house in the 115°F daytime and know it is all for free! In winter, I sell most power back to the grid. Solar is not for everywhere in the USA, but in the desert SW it is really great. I now have to design a system that allows me to run it when the grid goes down, as the converter runs on 220 vac grid-supplied power.

With VFD motors on the compressors and the air handlers, I have to walk outside to listen to see if the units (2 of them) are even running! LOVE IT!

Was out early this a.m. digging post holes for a long range archery target. Spent little over 2 hours and was dripping wet with sweat. Got back in the house round 11. Humidity was running near 100% that early in the day. It is what it is,be back at it tomorrow a.m.

Boolit Grand Master

Southern France by way of Interior Bush Alaska
    I’ve found that a real straw hat keeps me the coolest when it’s really hot. They used to sell them a lot, but today they are becoming harder to find.

Boolit Grand Master

Those neck gaiters that are made of cooling fiber really do work.
    93 and sunny with humidity here. Got up at 0145 as usual and it was 74. Got home 1400 and finished putting joists on the 14x16ft deck. Looked like I'd been swimming. 16ft 2x10 pt joist by yourself suck haha
    I Am Descended From Men Who Would Not Be Ruled

Fiat Justitia, Ruat Caelum

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast