Titan ReloadingReloading UKADvertise hereRotoMetals2
Lee PrecisionRepackboxMidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: Figuring out a PIF for 200 .223 cases

Figuring out a PIF for 200 .223 cases

A very nice user here was going to sell me some cases - but PIFed them to me, instead, so now it's time to get creative with my PIF

Super hot here now and things are a mess, plus I am melting, so I am still thinking on it. If my 3d printer was up I could offer some thing(s) from it maybe, can't quite yet tho.

So I am scratching my head but haven't come up with a good idea quite yet, I suspect once I do I'll delete this post and create a new one. Heat does NOT help my brain work well, but I'll figure something out

Nice to have it cooler, right? I'm in Texas where it has been in the upper 70's to the mid-'90s. Very pleasant to good porch sitting weather. I take it you are thinking of doing some 3D printing for a PIF, but, need some suggestions. I might suggest a trickle platform to raise the trickler a little, but more importantly to have some sort of lockdown to keep the trickler in one place and not tip when the feed tube is spun. Or maybe a block that would hold some tools such as an Allen wrench, a small size screwdriver, a couple of shell holders; Or how about a hanger for an impact puller hammer? My last one is something that may be a little different for each of us, a baffle for powder measures (right now mine are made of old clean beer can aluminum).
    VOTE, VOTE, VOTE often. In dealing with potential dishonesty or corruption, Something you might keep in mind is a revealing quote by S.W. Erdnase in his book The Expert at the Card Table "Almost every ruse in the game is more or less dependent upon another one."
    Politicians are like babies diapers, they should be changed often and for the same reason. Mark Twain

Those are doable and agreed on the baffle being metal, I am not sure (yet) what powders and filaments interact in what ways but I guarantee ya I'd be pretty nervous thinking "55k PSI, powder-filament interactions causing kaBLAM, eek!" and wouldn't go to the "here, hold my beer" stage on that.

Can't print anything till the new computer arrives, sadly. That said:

A trickler platform is easy, just need some dimensions, maybe use double sided sticky tape, or museum putty, or blue-tak, to attach things?

Little tool holders are easy, for example you'd make one "cube" command in OpenSCAD for the body of it, then a "cylinder" command per allen wrench you wanted to store, and a text command to label each hole is doable, (A few more lines to tell it when to add or subtract shapes, not hard. And trapezoids etc. are even easyish.)

It'll be 3 weeks till the new computer arrives tho so probably best if I figure something else out?

(Unless someone wants lessons on using OpenSCAD, or has a 3D printer but can't figure out a design?)

Another option, I could rig something to put light on someone's reloading press, power it off 12V or 5V USB, if that would help someone.

I should put some designs up on the 3d part of the forums to show what can be done, so others can show me that they can do better, it'll give me good ideas

Have any idea's yet?

No, still thinking. Unless I buy something to pass on as a PIF, low on too many things still. May just do that.

Another idea. How about a bracket with 3/8" slots to attach to the wall to hold cleaning rods. What I didn't mention before was the trickler could sit in a well (my RCBS is 2" wide with an I.D. of 1 5/8 and a indented ring around the inside of the base so the trickler sits on the 2" wide base wall, the wall is 3/16" wide. So, the challenge is to provide a 3/16" thick circle that is 2" O.D. with a 1 5/8 inside diameter and put that circular well on a nice looking block. Maybe 1/2" thick. You could make the block a little larger to also hold a scale. Mine is a Lyman Micro Touch 1500 measuring 3 1/4" X 5 1/2" There is your challenge.
    VOTE, VOTE, VOTE often. In dealing with potential dishonesty or corruption, Something you might keep in mind is a revealing quote by S.W. Erdnase in his book The Expert at the Card Table "Almost every ruse in the game is more or less dependent upon another one."
    Politicians are like babies diapers, they should be changed often and for the same reason. Mark Twain

Hmmm, you mean as in a 3d model for that? My 3d printer isn't up yet due to knee problems :/ I do have some help on printing things though.

How many rods would you want it to hold? Could set it up to hold up to 4 rods, with snap-off incisions on the inch?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	bwjJBAF.png 
Views:	5 
Size:	8.3 KB 
ID:	290053

Set up for 4 rods, 3/8" wide notch, 0.05" perforations, 0.10" holes on the back, moved those to 0.625" up instead of half inch, 0.1" thick material, can configure # of notches i.e. # of rods & turn perforations on/off, that something like what you are thinking of?

Scale holder, I added a rim to keep the trickler from sliding off by accident, if that's not desired it's easy to remove.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Trickler_Holder_RCBS.jpg 
Views:	6 
Size:	20.5 KB 
ID:	290072

I'm fairly fast on these, since I've been programming since the Jurassic

Those ideas are great. Sorry it's taken so long to get back to this project. I am interested in the powder trickler (great simple design). I like the space and it could be just a trickler holder if needed, excellent. I do not have a need for long cleaning rods. It is, most likely, a need though. I think the design would work well. Does anybody else have a need?
    3D printing is so cool. I don't understand it, but, I really like the versatility of the items it can make. The nice thing is these ideas can be reproduced over and over for an endless stream of PIF's.

Not that I need one but a 600 plastic trigger guard would be an idea.