Inline FabricationRotoMetals2Load DataLee Precision
Reloading EverythingRepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyWideners
Titan Reloading Snyders Jerky
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: For folks who have doing this for at least 25 years

I worked in a gas station in the 70s and casted with the owners sons a bunch of .38 WCs. I had no pistol but reloaded now for 12 yrs, can I get a waiver?

Boolit Grand Master

I'm a mix of old school and new. I started loading with Grandpa sometime in the late 60's. I've upgraded most of the Herters equipment for either RCBS or Redding. Mainly because shellholders for Herters presses are hard to find. And replacement depriming stems for Herters dies are also hard to find. I don't powder coat and don't plan to. I did however gradually switch over to the newer high temperature bullet lube. I also got away from using a lube pad for case resizing. I still use hand tools for case prep. I haven't found a case prep station that has as good of quality tools as the ones that I use by hand. A few years ago I bought an RCBS ChargeMaster so I don't "throw low and trickle up" any more. I also use a Giraud case trimmer for the calibers that I shoot the most. And I use a PID on my casting pot.

But, I still have a lube pad on standby. I still have the original Herters powder scale that I use to keep the ChargeMaster honest. And I still use a Wilson trimmer to trim the cases that I don't load in big batches. I still have a thermometer in case my PID fails. I still use older "tried and proven" powders vs the newer kids on the block. Powders such as Bullseye and IMR 4350.

Theres nothing wrong with sticking with the tools and methods that you have proven to work. Theres also nothing wrong with using newer faster or easier methods if that suits you.

I first started loading shotshells in the early 1970s, with an old Krupp American (Herter's) press and Metallic cartridges in the late 1980s with an old RCBS A2. I still have both of those presses but have transitioned to progressive presses for both shotshells and metallic cartridges. I started casting about the same time I started metallic cartridge loading. I am still using a Lee bottom pour drip-o-matic but now powercoat instead of wax lube bullets. I have also changed from using corn cob media in a dry vibrating tumbler to using wet SS pins in a rotary tumbler. My metallic loading mentor is 87 yrs old and started when he was 15 yrs old. He has been a fount of great knowledge and advice. I'm always looking to load more accurate, cheaper ammunition more quickly.

Boolit Grand Master
    Like many others, I started reloading in 1970 with a LEE whack-a-mole and a dipper. I had bought a hundred bullets, a box of primers and a bag of surplus 4895. Today I have three balances, a digital scale, a Lyman and an RCBS turret press, two Dillon Square Deal Progressives as well as an old Dillon 450.
    My first casting session involved a small, cast iron, plumbers pot, a single cavity Lyman 30 caliber mold, and a Lyman #45 Lubrisizer.

Today I have a LEE 20 pound bottom pour, an old Lachmiller 10 pound pot, scores of molds, ranging from .257 up to .460. I have wadcutter, gas check, plain base SWC, round nose, as well as 8 hollow-point molds in .32, .358, .430, and 452 diameter. I own and use 5 different Lubrisizers, Mostly Lyman 450's, but one RCBS and also a Lachmiller. Mostly though, I tumble lube. I have not taken the PC plunge, nor am I likely to. I have several powder measures but am most partial to the Lymans, though the Square Deals get the most use with the Dillon measures dropping charges. I don't do anything the way I did at the start. I went through a spell where every bullet I cast was heat-treated, but now only rifle boolits destined for 1,500 FPS or higher get the oven and ice water treatment. Many of the techniques I use came from this website.
    Thanks, folks.
    _________________________________________________It's not that I can't spell: it is that I can't type.

Boolit Master

I am all about finding easier ways to do things.

1. Moved from a vibratory case cleaner to a pin one to not doing it at all beyond washing them in soapy water.
    2. Mass case trimming is done w/ a Girard.
    3. Moved from a single-stage for mass reloading to a Dillon decades ago. Just added a case-feeder to the 750 and will be adding a bullet-feeder this weekend.
    4. Moved to powder-coated bullets this year.
    Member: Orange Gunsite Family, NRA-Life, ARTCA, American Legion, & the South Cuyahoga Gun Club.

Caveat Emptor: Do not trust Cavery Grips/American Gripz/Prestige Grips/Stealth Grips from Clayton, NC. He will rip you off.

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Rohrer View Post
    I am all about finding easier ways to do things.

1. Moved from a vibratory case cleaner to a pin one to not doing it at all beyond washing them in soapy water.
    2. Mass case trimming is done w/ a Girard.
    3. Moved from a single-stage for mass reloading to a Dillon decades ago. Just added a case-feeder to the 750 and will be adding a bullet-feeder this weekend.
    4. Moved to powder-coated bullets this year.
    I have the same mindset. With the vast majority of my shooting being "non critical", productivity is where I invested over the last 30 years. With speed, I also added powder check dies on the Dillons for safety.
    Don Verna

By this time I had acquired numerous latest and greatest tools and die sets, some stayed some left. My next big purchase was the addition of a Hornady L-N-L AP for pistols, revolver, 223/5.56 and 7.62 x 39 rounds. I reload my larger rifle rounds on the Lee Classic Cast press. So now I have a bunch of stuff, and still buying more. It's a sickness that I never want cured.

Steve.......
    NRA Endowment Life Member
    GOA Life Member
    North American Hunting Club Life Member

Boolit Buddy
    I got into Reloading at a Friends Kitchen Table in 1972. First 2 Sets of Reloading Tools was the Basic Kit from Lee, one in 9mm and the other for the 30-30. Moved across the Country in 74 stopping at a Gun-store where Sigi the Owner a very capable German trained Gunsmith talked me into a RCBS Junior Press, Dies for the newly acquired 7mm Rem Mag big Game Rifle and a RCBS Bench Priming tool. Eventually the assortment of Dies and Tooling grew, the RCBS Junior was traded off for a Rockchucker then another Rockchucker addet for the RCBS Piggyback to get some speed loading for the Handguns. Bout 8 years or so I started buying Molds and Casting equipment and accumulated a decent Lead supply. Being now semi Retired and a Hobby Machinist I often design and make my own Tooling presently working the Bugs out on a reliable Bullet feeder for Cast & Lubed Handgun Bullets loaded on the Piggyback. Reloading and casting and such comes in spurts and when I feel like it. Biggest drawback is the 45minutes one way drive to the Range to test out all the new developments in my Handgun, Rifle, Shotgun loads.

I am so glad my Son, Son in Law and Grandsons are all into shooting and hunting so everything gets utilized and eventually will be taken over by them.

Good Luck to all and for safety sake, keep only the Can of Powder on your Bench you are loading with.

Cheers

Boolit Master
    I too have evolved into the "Make It Easier" philosophy of reloading... I love Single Stage presses and I like antiques... So I've put them together, and many of my presses are classics (Hollywood Senior, Herters #3 and #234, a Lyman All American, RCBS Big Boy, and a Jordan press). But when mass quantities were needed, it didn't take me long to move to a progressive; the classic 550B still does the trick for me (sold my 650, 1050 and Stars). Also, buying a power trimmer (also Dillon) was the best time-saving $250 I ever spent.

In casting, I've moved away from the old dies... Had about 70 of them. Now I just have a few, all new, from the Made-to-Order guys (NOE, Accurate, MP-Molds)... I've found that if I spend a little more money and get exactly what I want, I'm much happier and I actually don't go looking for something different/better. Also, powder coating fits my idea of the perfect boolit... Mostly on pistol, but I do PC for my 300 BO also... So no more need for filling Lube Grooves with wax. The Magma sizer/luber is now a single-use tool; sizing only...

Bottom line, I evolved away from cheap tools for processes that I was going to use a LOT. I still have a few Lee dies that I use, primarily the universal decapper, and some hand tools for small runs of brass. No need to spend money where it's not necessary, but for a time saver I don't mind spending some $$$ on something that will last longer than I do...

Boolit Master
    started reloading in 82 with a single stage press .started casting in 98 with a lee 10lb pot .still using the same set up but for more calibers.

Boolit Master

Alturas, California...where the west still lives!
    Started in 1971 with a Lee Loader in 38 special. Didn't take long to realize I didn't like it, so I bought a little, nondescript, used press for $9.95 and went to town. Graduated to a Rock Chucker around 1973 and swapped my commercial Luger for a .38 mold, Lachmiller sizer and pot (kinda wish I had that Luger back now...)

I still have that original nondescript press, which Pressman identified as a somewhat rare "Precision Reloader" made in Oroville California, just up the road from RCBS. Ironically, Fred Huntington had NO idea there was a competitor in the same town!

Got a fully equipped Dillon a few years ago from a friend who was leaving the country. I like the machine, especially for pistol rounds, but have never approached the 400 rounds per hour they claim. Doesn't matter though because it IS faster than the Rock Chucker.

I now have at least eighty molds, several pots, etc. etc. but still cling to the "old ways" of doing things. It's a therapy don'cha know.....

I've been casting most of my adult life... nearly 40 years. Most of my rifle brass is disposable, I no longer form brass, and other than powder coating and using progressive presses now my bench has stayed the same.

I never was a "speed loader" and not once did I ever time myself how long it took to make ammo.

Younger loaders brag on production numbers often, but if you scratch below the surface and ask about filling primer pickup tubes, and press maintenance like adding powder, grabbing a handful of brass, and allowing for little stoppages they dust you off preferring to brag "burst mode" times... make 10, multiply by 5, there's a box
    Regards,

Gary

Boolit Grand Master bedbugbilly's Avatar
    The first thing that comes to mind for me is that I used to just clean my brass in a bucket of hot water with some soap and citric acid. I broke down and bought a Frankford Arsenal tumbler and ose SS pins - now my brass is squeaky clean and nice and shiny - I kind of like that.

I still ladle pour when casting like I have for well over 50 years - still like Ideal/Lyman molds but have upgraded some to 3,4,5 cavity NOE molds.

I use a Lee 4 hole turret for most of my pistol loading but still batch load a lot with my RCBS Jr2 and Jr3s - I did "update" to a good used Rockchucker last year at our place in AZ to make it easier to FL size some of my rifle brass and do a little re-forming.

I always got Lyman M dies for expanding but I decided to get a good assortment of the NOE expander plugs used in the Lee Universal flair die for my needs - so far I really like them and this winter I want to make a nice wood storage box for them that will take up less space.

Being retired, I enjoy casting and reloading as a means of relaxing - I don't require a lot of rounds for the shooting I do like a competitive shooter does so I don't require equipment to crank out large quantities. If I really want to relax, I will pull out my Lyman 310 sets with steel tongs to load up some 38 Colt Long, Special, 45 Colt, 30-30 or *mm Mauser - ahhhhh . . . . . . . . . . the Lyman 310 sets! Now that is really "progress" to promote relaxation!

Boolit Master
    Counted it back, wow!, started with a Lee whack-a-mole in about 1968 in 7mm Mauser - so 53 years! Got seriously into reloading in about 1982, with an RCBS kit and the Speer #10 manual. I did some casting with an old white gas plumber's forge in about 1991. Got back into reloading 6 or 7 years ago when I got a Lipsey Ruger BH in 44 Special. At that time they were $44 a box. So I already had the 44 Magnum/44 Special carbide die set, swapped a tub of 44 Magnum brass for a tub of 44 Special brass (Prince Albert tub) and started loading 44 Specials, then 38 Specials wc's and swc's. Then branched over to 32S&WLong. Went back to casting a year ago in the Spring with a Lee 10 pound melter. And been doing it all since then. Awhile back I told a buddy that I had just had my medication. He was surprised since I don't take any medicine. I told him I had just fired a really good group with my home cast boolits - that I would have a glow on for about a week. That was my medication.
    Britons shall never be slaves.

I started in the 70s with a Lee Whack-A-Mole outfit, went to a Lyman 310 tong tool, graduated to a single stage press (which I still have)and eventually went with a Dillon. Still use a balance beam scale. Since I discovered the joys of buying cast bullets in bulk, I don’t cast much any more. I started tumbling my brass in walnut hull media about 30 years ago, but before that I didn’t do anything special to the brass.
    Last edited by scattershot; 07-22-2021 at 01:43 PM.
    "Experience is a series of non-fatal mistakes"

Disarming is a mistake free people only get to make once...

I started loading on a RCBS RC II kit about 30 years ago. I tried several other single stage presses and came back to the RC II. I also had some Dillon 550s. I decided as the kids got to be of age I found I had more time so I went back to single-sage loading. All my 550s are sold. They worked perfectly. I just wanted to take my time when loading. As for casting, I still have a Saeco bullet sizer but I started to powder coat them. I shoot nothing but handgun loads for revolvers at this time. I rarely cast rifle bullets.

Boolit Man
    I started reloading in 1969 with an RCBS press and 30-30 RCBS dies. My plan was to load cheaper hunting bullets for my 30-30 because I could not afford to buy factory ammo or bullets. I worked at my uncle's gas station and had access to unlimited wheel weights. My first mold purchase was a Lee 160 grain 30 caliber and I cast hundreds of bullets in my basement on the spare family stove...and yes I have had my lead blood levels test and I am fine!
    That lit a spark and then a fire in me to pursue the reloading hobby to where I now load for 40 cartridges, cast for a number of them, have 4 presses, a dedicated reloading room, 4 shotshell reloaders, and enough components to last me the rest of my life. My career was as a research scientist in the pharmaceutical industry for 30 years and I think the intrigue of the technical nature of reloading played into my scientific interests. As a result of my background and education, I would say that my reloading techniques and therefore results have achieved a significantly higher level of precision and accuracy than I would have ever imagined when I started. I would have purchased factory ammo for all the expenditures I have done in reloading I would have enough ammo to stock a small gunshop!

In the last few years, I have been powder coating bullets to the point where I doubt I will ever fire another traditional lubricated bullet. I have hunted Africa on six safaris, regularly shoot cast bullets in my big bores, and experiment on nearly every aspect of the hobby...I would not have done any single thing differently, it a fascinating and rewarding hobby.

First of all some of these guys are making me feel pretty young.
    In the late 80's I bought a rock chucker reloading kit I still remember thinking it would take a lot of reloading to recover my $130, a year or two later I got a Lyman Mag T press ,added a few small things on over the years, about 2010 I added a second Mag T press and went much more in to bullet casting, When I retired in 2018 I finally put thought in to going progressive and for 2020 I bought two new Dillion 750 presses. still a lot of the same , some new but my favorite get away from the wife, this being home with her all day every day is a bit much.

Boolit Master

Consider, for a moment, that each of us started this hobby from scratch (mostly), developed our interests independently (mostly), pursued the Learning Curve and achieved great satisfaction (mostly), SPEND MONEY TO SAVE MONEY rolling our own, shoot a lot, share data and information, research and continue to seek answers to questions, some of which have been answered through forums as is this one.

To be "one of us" requires dedication to specifics, learning the intricacies, adhering to safe practices, following the path others forged, and going into the weeds a time or two. Some of the best experience is the result of bad experience.

STILL, we cannot "plug in" to transmit this achieved knowledge directly to the next generation of casters and shooters, without their own specific hands-on Learning Curve. They have to "thirst for knowledge" and understanding as we did. Trial and error education starts over with each succeeding generation. Casting, reloading, and shooting ARE inherently FUN, INTERESTING, and an individual RIGHT which must not be abrogated - EVER.
    If it was easy, anybody could do it.

Boolit Master
    I saw a guy describing auto racing as a hobby. Handloading might be similar. He said, "you have to love racing and, hate money." My short, feeble attempt at SCCA racing 40+ years ago certainly proves the veracity of that comment. At times I think my handloading habit proves the same! But, I realize most loaders don't feel as if a lathe, mill and the requisite tooling are requisite loading tools.
    "In general, the art of government is to take as much money as possible from one class of citizens and give it to another class of citizens" Voltaire'

The common virtue of capitalism is the sharing of equal opportunity. The common vice of socialism is the equal sharing of misery

NRA Benefactor 2008

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast