Inline FabricationReloading EverythingLoad DataRotoMetals2
WidenersTitan ReloadingRepackboxMidSouth Shooters Supply
Lee Precision Snyders Jerky
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: John bodine rifle.

Boolit Master

John bodine rifle.

I have one and it is a track driver. CAL, 45/70. I shoot 47 GRS. of 4198, behind a 500 gr. cast lead head and it is a one holler. was this gun ever a commercially MFG, gun back in the day? was it ever used in matches, like CAMP PERRY, or on the continent, IRELAND, ENGLAND? any one else have one? just curious?

Boolit Master
    Do a search online. I took a quick glance and there us a lot of info available. The rifle is named after a U.S. competition shooter that shot against the British team. There are reproduction rifles available, and yours is most likely a repro.

The Pedersoli John Bodine is a good looking rifle, but not a very accurate representation of the gun Bodine shot on the US Creedmoor team. It has a 30" barrel, where Bodine's rifle was 34" like all the rifles were. It weighs almost 12 lbs., where rifles in that match were restricted to 10 lbs. It has set triggers, and Bodine and all the rifles used were single non set triggers. And lastly it's a .45-70, not a .44-77 bottleneck like Bodine's, and all the US rifles were.
    Other than that it's a perfect copy!

Bodine and the US team shot against the Irish at the first match. Later the team traveled to Wimbledon to challenge about 6 countries in the World long range matches, and won again. After about 4 years of winning against the rest of the world, most countries declined to shoot against the US.
    The US team consisted of half Remington Rolling Block Creedmoor models, and half Sharps 1874 Creedmoor models. All similarly equipped in barrel length, weight, trigger, sights, and caliber.

Boolit Buddy
    24 grains of that powder get you blackpowder velocities. 47 gr is in the realm of stout upper end Ruger #1 loads I'm thinking. Not even close to what Bodine used.

Quote Originally Posted by Yellowhouse View Post
    24 grains of that powder get you blackpowder velocities. 47 gr is in the realm of stout upper end Ruger #1 loads I'm thinking. Not even close to what Bodine used.
    My RCBS Cast Bullet manual lists 43 grs. with a 500 gr. bullet at 1708 fps, and as a Ruger #1 load. And also a max load for the Ruger.

Boolit Master
    lets see some pics!!

Boolit Master
    Yellowhouse, thank you. I will drop it down to 24 grs. of 4198. toot.

Boolit Master
    thanks that is scary. toot.

Boolit Master
    sorry I have a BANG &OLUFSEN, laptop that will not let me send pictures. it is a PEDERSOLI.

Boolit Master
    SORY I MAY HAVE MADE A MISTACKE. I use 27 grs. of 4198.

Quote Originally Posted by toot View Post
    SORY I MAY HAVE MADE A MISTACKE. I use 27 grs. of 4198.
    That sounds much better! Thanks for the correction!

Everyone should be careful using any data posted on forums, as it's easy to make a simple mistake, and end up in tragedy.

Boolit Master
    marlinman, at 77++, we all have a senior moment. thanks guys for catching my bad! yes it a much safer load. and fun to shoot. easy on these old bones & shoulder! toot.

Boolit Master
    koger, I don't have to post pictures, as stated I cannot. every one knows what a PEDERSOLI JOHN BODINE looks like. that is what I have. hope this helps?

Here you go toot!

Boolit Master
    Thanks Val. Toot I know what they look like, I just like to see different folks guns, variations of different case colors etc. All good.

Boolit Master

I think this is the first time I have seen a picture of one. None of the dealers I have visited have any of them in stock, or anything similar.
    Spell check doesn't work in Chrome, so if something is spelled wrong, it's just a typo that I missed.

Boolit Master
    marlinman93, yes that is the HUCKLEBERRY!! thank you for the picture. how yours group?

Boolit Master
    Koger, all is good on my end. I did not mean to come off in a disrespectful way. I totally understand what you meant. all the best, toot.

Boolit Master
    if any one has one they know that they are a BEAST! massive!. toot.

Quote Originally Posted by toot View Post
    marlinman93, yes that is the HUCKLEBERRY!! thank you for the picture. how yours group?
    I don't own one toot! I just grabbed that picture off Pedersoli's site. I think they're a very nice looking gun personally!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast