MidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2WidenersLoad Data
Reloading EverythingSnyders JerkyRepackboxInline Fabrication
Titan Reloading Lee Precision
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Open Carry vs Concealed

Boolit Grand Master

Southern France by way of Interior Bush Alaska

Open Carry vs Concealed

Open carry vs concealed carry? Let’s hear the pros and cons from both sides.

Boolit Grand Master

For hunting or bear defense open carry all the way. For SD against humans in urban area's concealed. Open carry in urban area's is more of a political statement. Open carry makes you a potential target of lots of negative scenario's
    2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

Banned

I dont open carry in public for two reasons. One is it makes people nervous and i dont carry to scare people or impress them. Second is if your in a bank thats about to be robbed and are open carrying who do you think the first person the robbers are going to pop before they even start the robbery. Your putting a big sign on your back to the criminals saying "im your biggest nightmare" Only time i open carry is around the house, when i take the dog for a walk in the woods or when im heading to camp. I might stop by a store on the way but its a rural area that doesnt raise any eyebrows if your armed.

Moderator Emeritus

Pretty much the same out here. My property, going down to my mailbox, or quick run into our small town (if I am already open carrying around the place) otherwise it is concealed. We can do either here but as others stated it could make you the first target. Besides it is nobody's business what I have.

Boolit Buddy
    Agree with all the above

Open carry, in areas with a lot of people, is a "...HEY LOOK AT ME. I AM A BAD DUDE......I CARRY A GUN....AND I AM EXERCISING MY CONSTITUTIONAL RIGHTS".
    With those rights come responsibilities.
    There are a multitude of other ways to make your political statement.
    The ONLY time open carry is needed is when you are in the woods, hiking, snowshoeing, etc. and don't see too many people.
    If you want to carry in an urban area, carry concealed. No one knows but you.
    And even in states where open carry is legal, get a license to carry. It fixes a multitude of problems.
    Sorry....I don't have a lot of sympathy (nor understanding) for open carriers that are around a lot of people. It hurts our cause more than helps it.
    Just my opinion.....and kind of a sore spot for me.
    Last edited by FISH4BUGS; 06-27-2021 at 07:14 AM.
    Collector and shooter of guns and other items that require a tax stamp, Lead and brass scrounger. Never too much brass, lead or components in inventory! Always looking to win beauty contests with my reloads.

Boolit Master
    Agree with the comments above.
    What is humorous is that in the time of the founding fathers well into the late 1800s, concealing a weapon was a sign of someone with bad intentions.
    “Coincidence is God’s way of remaining anonymous.”

Boolit Master
    Also agree with the comments so far. Recently was in a supermarket. Dad had 3-YO daughter by the hand. On the belt was a Glock and he had an AR strapped across his chest. Some statement!

Ya think maybe if he was expecting a battle he might have left the little girl in the car?

I will open carry around my house, I will at the minimum, pull my shirt out and cover if it is owb if I leave and go to town. I don't want attention, nor really desire to let someone know I'm carrying, if the need to defend myself happens, I want to be the one to show my gun, not be a target.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Only reason I like living in a state that allows open carry, is for situations where my clothing/concealment method is imperfect. If my gun isn't completely concealed, I won't have a problem. I still advocate concealed, and don't want to advertise that I'm armed. jd
    It seems that people who do almost nothing, often complain loudly when it's time to do it.

Boolit Buddy
    I rarely open carry for some of the reasons above.

However, in the past, my open carry has diffused a couple of bad situations. When my would be assailants saw that I was armed they went away without incident.

I do also like the idea of educating the masses that Good People do carry guns.

On the rare occasion that I do open carry, I carry in a retention holster.

It is really a personal choice. Just don't be a dick and open carry for the wrong reasons.

Boolit Buddy
    Please carry in the open! You will make a better target than me!
    West of Beaver Dick's Ferry.

Boolit Master

I open carry in the woods and on the way to the woods. On the occasions I have to stop by the grocery store for provisions on the way to the woods, I have never had an issue in 40 years of doing so.

I generally like to carry concealed. Keeps the sheep from getting nervous, and the wolves in the dark.

I would never carry a long gun in town. Those guys that carry ARs in Starbucks to make a statement are morons.
    "Luck don't live out here. Wolves don't kill the unlucky deer; they kill the weak ones..." Jeremy Renner in Wind River

I don't disagree with anything stated so far.

I carry concealed in town. Why? Because some folks might decide I'm worth calling the cops on and life is much easier without additional attention. Then there is the 1st to be popped issue. I just don't like incoming lead. I live rurally, and when outside I carry openly. I also carry a rifle or arm braced handgun when the wife and I go for walks. That's just rural life where one can collide with rabid animals and I don't think I'd be fond of getting bitten by one.

Boolit Buddy

I open carry in my house and on my property and concealed by license elsewhere.

I also have a CCL, and would say that up front so someone doesn't tell me I'm breaking the law by doing so. I make up my mind on how to carry largely dependent on the weather conditions. I never open carry in public. If it's raining or snowing and I'm unfortunate enough to be out in it, I carry concealed in a shoulder holster under my bulky winter coat. If it's summer and I'm just walking about the forest I carry openly.

DG

Boolit Buddy
    I understand argument for open carry but for me it's concealed.

Boolit Master
    Contrary to Bakerjw's opinion, Colt, S&W, H&R and numerous "cycle Works" places made literally hundreds of thousands of small concealable handguns that were, in fact, carried concealed by lots of men and women from the early 1850s well into the early part of the 20th century. They may not have been of "man stopper" calibers, but they did provide some peace of mind in situations where the local authorities were even scarcer and less effective than they are today. Remember that during much of this period women basically had no rights at all and unless protected by a male family member were at the mercy of the walking trash around them. Also, men's suit jacket pockets were routinely leather lined to aid in carrying a revolver. The honest need for concealed carry is not a recent situation. GF

Normal concealed and open carry in the woods and trap line , do carry around the yard open , for all the reasons that is stated sums up for how I feel also . I do not like to show that I carrying no matter I have my permit . The less anyone knows the better off you are .
    Life Member of NRA,NTA,DAV ,ITA. Also member of FTA,CBA

Quote Originally Posted by Idaho45guy View Post
    Those guys that carry ARs in Starbucks to make a statement are morons.
    You hereby are awarded the quote of the day.
    Collector and shooter of guns and other items that require a tax stamp, Lead and brass scrounger. Never too much brass, lead or components in inventory! Always looking to win beauty contests with my reloads.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast