Load DataLee PrecisionReloading EverythingRepackbox
MidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingSnyders JerkyInline Fabrication
Wideners RotoMetals2

Thread: NAA Pug

Boolit Master

NAA Pug

I had never owned a Single Six until recently when I found a 4 5/8” at our local Cabela’s at a reasonable price. I also have never owned a .22 Magnum anything but the SS came with both long rifle and magnum cylinders.
    .22 Magnum is a hoot!

A few weeks ago I was at a LGS and they had the NAA “Pug” with Hogue grip, XS sights and two cylinders.

https://northamericanarms.com/shop/firearms/pug-dc/

I want one with a shoulder holster and to learn to say “I’ll be your huckleberry!” in a bad southern accent.

Has anyone here had good or bad experiences with the Pug model?

Boolit Buddy
    I've seen leather suspenders with a built in holster for a gun like that, that'd be the thing to get.
    "People in Arizona carry guns," said Detective David Ramer, a Chandler police spokesman. You better be careful about who you are picking on...

Boolit Master

I like mine. Reliable. Accurate? Well . . . about like you'd think. It's fun anyway.

Cat
    Cogito, ergo armatum sum.

(I think, therefore I'm armed.)

Awaiting delivery on a NAA Tracker II in .22mag. Under 2" barrel. I have the 4" barrel NAA Earl in .22mag and it loves to shoot but it is a slow pain to reload. Have to pull the cylinder, punch out the brass, reload and reassemble.

The Ranger II is a top break single action revolver with cammed ejectors as you tip the barrel farther and farther down the ejectors come up.
    Weight is 7.2 oz. But as noted I am waiting for it to arrive at my FFL so I can get my greedy little hands on it and shoot it.

The Earl is only 8.9 oz. Small enough to hide anywhere. And with enough barrel to give a decent sight picture.

I suspect most of the NAA arms offerings are better for those of us with smaller hands.
    You guys with big hands can stick with your normal diet of Ruger Blackhawks etc.
    I truly believe we need to get back to basics.

Get right with the Lord.
    Get back to the land.
    Get back to thinking like our forefathers thought.

May the Lord bless you and keep you. May the Lord make His face to shine upon you and be gracious unto you
    and give you His peace. Let all of the earth – all of His creation – worship and praise His name! Make His
    praise glorious!

Boolit Master
    Thanks guys!
    While I was firmly tongue-in-cheek about the shoulder holster I did investigate two shootings using the little revolvers over the years, both were justified self defense, neither ended well for the shootee.

The grips on the Pug seemed big enough for my paws as long as recoil is less than .44 Magnum and I could actually see the sights. The little gun might be the ticket for carrying when you don’t feel like carrying.

My dad called his NAA an "up their nose" gun.

You frequently hear that the ballistics of the 22 mag suffer badly in a short barrel, and that you wind up with not much more than 22 long rifle. Is there much to that or ---

Back in the day, I scored a great deal on a case of 22 mag ammo, and shot them for years in my Ruger 22 convertible revolver. It's got a 6 1/2" barrel I think, and it does quite well with the mags. I don't have a Chrony, so I can't say just how well, and I've never shot any mags from barrels as short as the Pug. jd
    It seems that people who do almost nothing, often complain loudly when it's time to do it.

Boolit Master
    I bought a NAA Pug, in 22 mag. I carry it in a neck holster, under my shirt, when out on my motorcycle.

https://rangehot.com/22-magnum-ballistic-test/

They used a Keltec PMR 30 with a 4" barrel. Speeds were down a little but not drastically IMO.

Hornady Vmax 30 grain while almost 1000 fps slower than a longer barreled rifle still penetrated 18"
    Rifle only did 7.5 inches.

Speed is not always an aid to penetration. Slower can be better.

Overall velocity was closer to the .22lr range, but several ammo offerings were running above 1280 fps which is more or less .22lr standard in my experience.

Personally I'd rather have the .22WMR over a .22lr any day, short barrel or not.

18" Penitration from a 4" barrel I'm going to have to watch what is behind my targets especially with the Earl.

Get right with the Lord.
    Get back to the land.

May the Lord bless you and keep you. May the Lord make His face to shine upon you and be gracious unto you
    and give you His peace. Let all of the earth – all of His creation – worship and praise His name! Make His
    praise glorious!

My wife bought one 20 or so years ago. The rifling is interrupted by radial rings in the bore left from the boring prior to rifling. Accuracy is poor with 22 Mag and 22 LR does not stabilize at all. Company was non responsive to letter of complaint so we ate it.
    To paraphrase Ronald Reagan, the trouble with many shooting experts is not that they're ignorant; its just that they know so much that isn't so.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Cash View Post
    My wife bought one 20 or so years ago. The rifling is interrupted by radial rings in the bore left from the boring prior to rifling. Accuracy is poor with 22 Mag and 22 LR does not stabilize at all. Company was non responsive to letter of complaint so we ate it.
    Do you think they may have improved some in the last 20 years?

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by hoodat View Post
    You frequently hear that the ballistics of the 22 mag suffer badly in a short barrel, and that you wind up with not much more than 22 long rifle. Is there much to that or ---

Back in the day, I scored a great deal on a case of 22 mag ammo, and shot them for years in my Ruger 22 convertible revolver. It's got a 6 1/2" barrel I think, and it does quite well with the mags. I don't have a Chrony, so I can't say just how well, and I've never shot any mags from barrels as short as the Pug. jd
    In the really short barrels the .22mag suffers a lot of velocity loss. A lot of unburned propellant gets spewed out.
    ref http://www.ballisticsbytheinch.com/

If I remember correctly, one of the ammo manufacturers made some .22 mag ammo designed for short barrel handguns. So they might still be making it one of these days again.

Come to think of it, if one had to use one and stuck it into the assailants belly and fired, much of that unburned propellant would contaminate the wound. That would make for an extra nasty wound. No way for the surgeon to clean all of that out.
    Last edited by Earlwb; 06-28-2021 at 11:18 PM. Reason: add more info

Boolit Buddy
    There was (in normal times) a short barrelled .22 Mag round made, may do better in pistols.

I like mine well, used to carry snake shot in them when I was in rattler country.

Boolit Master

CCI makes/has made a short barrel Gold Dot for the mags, I think.

Cat
    Cogito, ergo armatum sum.

(I think, therefore I'm armed.)

With your Pug and the other two in its section NAA deserves serious credit for putting better sights on these tiny guns than 90% of defensive handguns of any size or price. Crappy sights are a pet peeve of mine. Good going NAA:

https://northamericanarms.com/produc...r-black-widow/
    The first purpose of the Second Amendment is too often overlooked, fostering a liberty of mind and action necessary in the people of a free republic.

“Ironically, the only gun control in 19th century England was the policy forbidding police to have arms while on duty.”
    ~ Don B. Kates, Jr.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick R View Post
    Do you think they may have improved some in the last 20 years?
    No idea. I would like one of the top break guns but want it in my hand to examine before purchase.
    To paraphrase Ronald Reagan, the trouble with many shooting experts is not that they're ignorant; its just that they know so much that isn't so.

Dan you ever get to Fargo ND?

I'll be picking up my top break NAA Tracker II tommorow.

Get right with the Lord.
    Get back to the land.

praise glorious!

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Cash View Post
    No idea. I would like one of the top break guns but want it in my hand to examine before purchase.
    The store where I initially looked at a Pug had the top break too. To my eye it looked nice but is substantially more expensive. I do like the Pug grips and sights better. Then one of the younger sales guys came over and started bad mouthing top break guns in general as an explosion looking for a place to happen and I lost interest because I’m smitten by the Pug.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Rick R View Post
    ...one of the younger sales guys came over and started bad mouthing top break guns in general as an explosion looking for a place to happen and I lost interest because I’m smitten by the Pug.
    Somebody should pistol whip that disrespectful young'un with a Webley!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Webley_MKIV.jpg 
Views:	10 
Size:	132.9 KB 
ID:	285431

or an Enfield

Name:	enfield-no2-mk1-.38.jpg 
Views:	7 
Size:	169.3 KB 
ID:	285432

That kind of ugly talk deserves a smack in the mouth with an ugly gun. He doesn't deserve the elegance of a No. 3 S&W.

Name:	26158-b.jpg 
Views:	8 
Size:	37.6 KB 
ID:	285433