RepackboxRotoMetals2WidenersInline Fabrication
Load DataLee PrecisionReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters Supply
Titan Reloading

Thread: odd Brass

Boolit Buddy

odd Brass

With the Brass shortage I find myself in a dilemma. I shoot .40/65 Black Powder and have been using Rem. Peters brass, but only have enough for one Match. I have some Starline and both are trimmed exactly the same. I am thinking of shooting the R/P in one Match and the Starline in the next. If the loads remains exactly the same, and I shoot only one brand at a Match, will there be that much difference. I usually have to re-adjust my sights at every Match anyway, but if the loads are consistent will there be that much group difference.

Boolit Grand Master

Only the rifle knows for sure.
    ”We know they are lying, they know they are lying, they know we know they are lying, we know they know we know they are lying, yet they are still lying.” –Aleksandr Isayevich Solzhenitsyn

My Straight Shooters thread:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...raight-shooter

The Pewter Pictures and Hallmarks thread:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...-and-hallmarks

Boolit Master
    Yep that's one of those things where you need to try a couple of 5 or better 10 shot groups and see what happens. It may be the same or the results might very alot.

Boolit Buddy
    Use a chronograph if you have access to one. Check loads on both cases.

Just have to try it, and big ditto to having a good chronograph... it helps. I faced the same dilemma for our Texas Regional match back in May. It came down to loading up a few rounds on brand new un-fireformed brass and trying it out. It worked perfectly.

Boolit Bub
    How much compression of the powder in the starline brass versus the Remington do you have? I think that will be the most significant factor in difference of ballistics performance between the two loads. labop

Boolit Bub
    Stick with one load for each animal group. Shoot your Starline at chickens and pigs and your Remington at Rams and turkeys. labop

Boolit Bub
    you can also make make 40/65 brass from 45/70. I tried & made very little difference in my groups

Boolit Buddy
    I have also been looking for .45/70 brass and the cheapest I can find is $145.00 per hundred on Gunbroker.

Boolit Master
    Imashooter2, and the SHADOW KNOWES!

Boolit Master
    marlin1895, what does it take to make 40/65 out of 45/70 brass? thank you. toot.

Boolit Master
    Toot. It's easy just size the .45-70 cases in your. 40-65 sizer and trim to length. I have a theory that if you use the shorter hornady brass you may not have to trim the cases when you're done.
    Last edited by 1Hawkeye; 06-30-2021 at 11:35 AM.

Boolit Mold
    you will have a difference in case capacity, so your compression will change. I would adjust your load so compression was the same in both and start there. the target will tell you if speeds are close to each other, as these bullets drop fast so big E.S. will show really easy.

matt

Boolit Buddy
    just use the same load, shoot both and see what the difference is. Might just be a slight movement of POI, nothing more. So yoiu just need to know which cases you are using.

Boolit Buddy
    I know if I resize .45/70 to .40/65 I will have to trim back the cases. Will I not have to trim again after first firing ?.

Vendor Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by jednorris View Post
    I know if I resize .45/70 to .40/65 I will have to trim back the cases. Will I not have to trim again after first firing ?.
    It depends. On what I am still not sure. Many of my cases get shorter with many firings.
    Don't take this the wrong way but - lotsa "what-if" questions and most of this just gets handled as it comes up. Asking is Ok - just saying.
    As to the earlier question. Are the two makes of cases going to shoot to different points of aim?

I would bet anything, they will not and there isn't a person living that could see a difference even if you have slightly different powder stack heights. Compression (IMO) is a much over rated as a factor. Compression using quality powder is incidental to having the right amount of powder in the case to produce accuracy when paired to a given barrel. And, that is a whole different conversation.

Hmmm - I think I've said enough.
    Chill Wills