RotoMetals2Load DataReloading EverythingRepackbox
Titan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionInline Fabrication
Wideners
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Hello, my name is Brian and I love Liverwurst

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by BJK View Post
    Boudin, is that blood sausage? I never had the French version but I've seen it up here and heard people talking about it. The Polish make a barley and blood sausage and as a child I loved it. I tried some years later and wondered what I saw in it. It was just OK. Maybe it was the sausage recipe that was screwed up? IDK. It was called Kishkee, or that's the way the word sounded. I know it isn't spelled that way.
    Boudin can be made two ways ...most common is the regular White aka Boudin Blanc that you buy in the markets and stores , the other , less common version , is Red Boudin aka Boudin Rouge . It has the pigs blood mixed into the stuffing of rice , pork , onions, celery and bellpepper . The regular boudin stuffing is mixed with the blood , a lot of blood ... and stuffed into casings and cooked to a certain temperature . There are more Board of Health rules and regulations concerning the handling , preparation and cooking of food containing blood . Most markets don't make it , what you usually see and buy is usually white boudin .
    There is one meat market / slaughterhouse that makes it , the place is " well South of the bustle of Baton Rouge deep in the bayou's" and finding that place wasn't easy ! They make it because they are a slaughter house , the blood goes from animal to cooking quickly and eliminates the handling , storage and transportation of blood . The one time I went there, they were out , told me to call first next time . Since then I've lost my nerve about wanting to try it ...my Daddy said it was disgusting stuff ...I'll take his word for it .
    It's Bourgeois Meat Market , www.bourgeoismeatmarket.com
    They also do deer processing ... check the place out ...they will ship you some !
    Gary
    Last edited by gwpercle; 07-01-2021 at 08:00 PM.
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Actually the red boudin is in the supermarket where I shop. I never saw white boudin. I have a thing about eating blood today. I don't know if I could do it.

When I was in the army in West Germany, I tried blutwurst (blood sausage) on toast. It was good, as long as I didn't look at it.

Wayne
    What doesn't kill you makes you stronger - or else it gives you a bad rash.
    Venison is free-range, organic, non-GMO and gluten-free

Boolit Grand Master

Actually the red boudin is in the supermarket where I shop. I never saw white boudin. I have a thing about eating blood today. I don't know if I could do it.
    That's funny ... here in La. the white boudin is what is found everywhere , hot and ready to eat , refrigerated for taking home and heated and frozen to keep in freezer for later ... the Red boudin (blood sausage) is what's hard to find .
    I did a search and found only two market / slaughter house / meat processors that still make it . You must have a special license to make it . Babineaux's Slaughter House and Bourgeois Meat Market .
    After watching how they make it and looking at the photo's ... I'm not going there ... the stuff just doesn't look ...appetizing at all .
    White Boudin ...if you haven't tried the white then you have missed out on some good eating .

Q: What's a seven course Cajun Dinner ?
    A: A Link of Boudin (Blanc) and a six-pack of beer !
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

There's a large French Canadian community up here in Maine and our state laws re: blood sausage are probably different.

My mom would tell us stories of when she was a child and times were tough. They would slaughter pigs or maybe poultry, IDR, and if memory serves they would make chinina (sp?) it was either a blood sausage or a blood soup. But they couldn't afford butter either so they would use leaf lard on their toast. But that's also what their parents, peasant stock from the old country (Prussia) knew as food. They wasted nothing.

7 course cajun meal! Too funny!

Boolit Master
    boudin is some eating stuff, ive only had it fresh along with cracklins at comeaux's cajun cafe in Lafayette
    wow what memories

Moderator Emeritus

There's a large French Canadian community up here in Maine and our state laws re: blood sausage are probably different.

My mom would tell us stories of when she was a child and times were tough. They would slaughter pigs or maybe poultry, IDR, and if memory serves they would make chinina (sp?) it was either a blood sausage or a blood soup. But they couldn't afford butter either so they would use leaf lard on their toast. But that's also what their parents, peasant stock from the old country (Prussia) knew as food. They wasted nothing.

My grandparents didn't butter their toast, they would flop it in the fry pan and soak up the bacon fat. They ate around 5,000 calories a day and were NOT fat. Hard work farming the old way! And they had no shortage of butter with 30 dairy cows! I miss that farm made butter that was literally 3 hours from the cow! So fresh tasting compared to store butter. We always took home 5 pounds to last us a week or two(7 people int he family, you go through a LOT of butter on toast in the morning, and on sandwiches for lunch, potatoes for supper... I still will only use real butter, none of that fake fat garbage n my house.

Quote Originally Posted by MaryB View Post
    I still will only use real butter, none of that fake fat garbage n my house.
    I'm with you Mary. That's all you'll find in my kitchen also. All the hubbub about it being no good for you? Pure rubbish. Fats are actively good for the body. They drive the LDL and triglycerides down and the HDL (the good stuff) up. If the butter is from grass fed cows it's even better, and so is the beef from grass fed cattle.

Don't eat chicken skin? Rubbish. It's a mono-unsaturated fat, very similar to EVOO. It's fine.

It still has calories though and the formula is still calories in vs calories burned. So fats in moderation. Everything in moderation, including moderation.

My typical breakfast is a thin slice of low carb bread that I make (< 2 g carbs). Fried in 4 small pats of grass fed butter. And 4 small breakfast sausages or one larger Brat. Then 2 eggs over easy with runny yolks to give the bland keto bread some flavor (I'm working on the flavor). That's my big meal of the day. Eat breakfast like a king, lunch like a prince, and supper like a pauper. But I'm also retired. My Drs couldn't be happier with my lipid profile. I'm told there are people who would kill for my numbers. Oh, and I'm a heart disease patient. What we've been fed for data is either pure retailing or politically driven garbage. But research on the web will turn up the truth. I also limit my sodium and that's a constant battle. The northern European in me loves salt, but too much I can see the result of in my BP which is taken for me 2x a week at cardiac rehab. I do use some KCl which has the flavor of NaCl but without the BP spike. Too, I used to get charlie horses at night in bed if I flexed my calves. The addition of small amounts of KCl to my diet got rid of the completely. Stretch and flex to my hearts content and no pain that wakes me up. I stress the "small amounts" of KCl. Too much can interfere with the signal being sent to the heart. It's one of the injections in lethal injection. But my K level in my blood also makes my Dr happy. (K=potassium, it's just easier to write K)

I get my KCl from Amazon in bulk and it lasts a VERY long time. I think I bought 3# this last time and I expect that it'll last me well over 10 years as little as it takes for the salt flavor. I think if has a saltier flavor than NaCl.

I still use NaCl though. Folks who have ultra low salt intake have an 80% chance of recurring heart problems. Once was enough for me. I gram per day id about right and 1 brat has that. Processed food has a lot of sodium because it's inexpensive flavor.

Who teaches this stuff? Nobody. But dig and it can be found. Too, turning oneself into a guinea pig proves it out over time with lab tests.

Boolit Master

As far as the white and red boudin, I've eaten both. Dad's friend, and hunting buddy was Ivy Thibodeux. He made boudin out of ground up rice birds and pork liver. Occasionally, he would make the boudin Rouge. Out hunting with him, he would pull some out and offer us some. Good eats, all I can say.. Back in 2000, I was in Germany, on leave from Bosnia. Was in a restaurant and on the menu was a sausage tray-- blut (blood), lard, and some more flavors standard stuff. Couldn't resist, got it, and had one of the most enjoyable meals in my life. Served with a small salad and bread.
    One of my father's favorite statements: "If I say a chicken dips snuff, look under his wing for the snuffbox" How I was raised, who I am.

Moderator Emeritus

Made me hungry for braunshweiger... picked some up yesterday, have some seeded rye... cold supper tonight or maybe make some air fryer tator tots as a side dish. Keeping it simple, LOT of food to cook tomorrow!

13 pound brisket, 8 pound pork butt, 3 slabs St Lois trim spare ribs, and a 9 pound turkey!

Bummer, SW MN is too far away for the wife and I for a road trip! (so you're safe from us) It sounds like it's going to be a good feed!

I've been trying to cold smoke some precooked burgers now for a week but the weather has been forecast to have pop up showers and I just don't like smoking in the rain. I can do it, I just don't like it.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by gwpercle View Post
    Last Friday , on way to Texas , went through Scott , La. , Best Stop Market lunch of hot boudin and crackers ... ate two big links and had a custard sweet dough pie for dessert ...Awesome .
    Best Stop uses a little pork liver in their old timey recipe , some folks don't care for it but I like liver so it's my favorite .
    Best Stop still has my favorite boudin but I can honestly say I've never ate a link , liver or no liver , that I didn't enjoy !
    Gary
    I'm very familiar with that store. When my girls were young, we would stay at the KOA just east of Scott. Many times. Back in the late 70's and early 80's. Ate many pounds of meat from that place.
    One of my father's favorite statements: "If I say a chicken dips snuff, look under his wing for the snuffbox" How I was raised, who I am.

Boolit Master

BTW, liver cheese is also known as liver loaf-- liver pate with about a quarter inch of fat around it. I've had many a sandwich out of that with a big slab of sweet onion and mustard on it.

Boolit Grand Master

They used everything except the squeal ! pigs feet , head cheese , used the blood , hocks , intestines , stuffed the stomach , lard , cracklins , pig tails , smoked and fresh sausage ... I don't remember any use for the eye balls at a Boucherie ...maybe we played with them as little boy's do but I can't remember them being used for anythig specific or eating them . My Mom loved Pickled Pigs Feet ... Dad couldn't stand the sight of them !
    Gary

I almost forgot ... they also use the pigs ears and freaking LIPS ! Pickled Pigs Lips has to be one of the grossest looking things I have ever seen ... I have eaten pickled Pig's Feet ... but the lips just LOOK nasty , great big jar of those things floating around in a red pickling liquid ... I haven't been inebriated enough to try them !
    Has anyone out there done it ?
    Gary
    Last edited by gwpercle; 07-06-2021 at 12:45 PM. Reason: added ears and lips to list
    Certified Cajun
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Boolit Grand Master

Pickled Pigs Lips ... not getting much of a reaction ! Anyone eat any ?
    Certified Cajun
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

I never even heard of them until now. I've got to see if I can find a picture. Pickled pigs feet are good and so are the knuckles. I'm salivating at the thought. And I love the knuckles with sauerkraut but it's been years since I had them. And what is a bean soup without smoked hocks in it for flavoring and also eating after the hide is falling off? Yeah, still salivating.

Boolit Grand Master

I never even heard of them until now. I've got to see if I can find a picture. Pickled pigs feet are good and so are the knuckles. I'm salivating at the thought. And I love the knuckles with sauerkraut but it's been years since I had them. And what is a bean soup without smoked hocks in it for flavoring and also eating after the hide is falling off? Yeah, still salivating.
    Look here www.farmfreshfood.com They got pickled pork everything along with eggs and sausages!
    It's a fun site to explore ... I didn't know so many parts of a pig got pickled and put in a jar !
    They have been doing this since 1933 and are located in New Orleans ... A good Eats City if there ever was one .
    Plenty of photo's but you need to see a jar of the real thing ... it may be disturbing or it may be wonderful !
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

I've had everything seen there but the lips, of course just not their brand. I make my own pickled eggs when the hens are laying good. Pickled eggs make the very best egg salad.

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by country gent View Post
    I too like a good liverwurst sandwich wheat bead and mayo. In the evening for a snack liverwurst spread on ritz crackers.
    I do this and add various cheezes sometime.

Shiloh
    Je suis Charlie

"A society of sheep must in time beget a government of wolves."
    Bertrand de Jouvenel

“Any government that does not trust its citizens with firearms is either a tyranny, or planning to become one.” – Joseph P. Martino

“If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert , in five years there would be a shortage of sand.” – Milton Friedman

"Ideas are more powerful than guns. We would not let our enemies have guns; why should we let them have ideas?" - J. Stalin

Boolit Grand Master

No one on the pickled pigs lips train ! I don't want to buy a jar and discover they don't taste good !

I bought a jar of their pickled Quail Eggs ... they were sort of rubbery but my Brother and I drank enough beer to eat them all ...it were a small jar . I like chicken eggs better ...more egg and less rubbery .
    But back to question at hand ... Pickled Pigs Lips ...how are they ?
    see them at www.farmfreshfood.com

some little warning keeps popping up about clearing browser ... just click OK tag ...I don't know how to clear no browser ... Wasn't Browser a member of the group Sha Na Na ?
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast