RepackboxTitan ReloadingInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters Supply
RotoMetals2Lee PrecisionReloading EverythingLoad Data
Wideners
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Hello, my name is Brian and I love Liverwurst

I've never seen liver cheese. But I'd buy it if I saw it. I assume it's a regional thing. Maybe it's French?

Go's good as a bacon replacement in a BLT. I don't cook it I just use it cold.
    We go through life trying to make the best decisions we can based on the best infomation we can find, that turns out to be wrong.

Boolit Master

I don't like liver but I like liverwurst-go figure. I even ate it as a kid. I also love souse and ate that as a kid, but that's another thread.

Not a big liver fan but a liverworst sandwich on a hot day is fine eating.

They have it spiced just right, goes down smooth. Unlike liver which you can chew all day and it doesn't go down or get any smaller.
    I truly believe we need to get back to basics.

Get right with the Lord.
    Get back to the land.
    Get back to thinking like our forefathers thought.

May the Lord bless you and keep you. May the Lord make His face to shine upon you and be gracious unto you
    and give you His peace. Let all of the earth – all of His creation – worship and praise His name! Make His
    praise glorious!

Quote Originally Posted by GhostHawk View Post

They have it spiced just right, goes down smooth. Unlike liver which you can chew all day and it doesn't go down or get any smaller.
    A meal that will stay with you! memtb
    You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

“LETS GO BRANDON”

Quote Originally Posted by GhostHawk View Post
    I agree. When I wasn't in ketosis I would go for a drive and take along a liverwurst and onion sandwich on a long roll. I remember one such time I went up Mt. Washington on the auto road. After coming down I stopped at a beautiful stream in a park and devoured it. Nice memory, great sandwich.

Boolit Grand Master

The Liver Cheese I bought at the Deli yesterday is labeled Kentuckian Gold Fresh Liver Cheese
    check it out at www.kentuckiangold.com . Reading about it has throwed a craving on me ...
    Guess what's for Lunch !

Gary
    Last edited by gwpercle; 06-28-2021 at 03:23 PM.
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Walks View Post
    Slice the Braunschweiger 3/4" thick, 1/2" thick sweet onion, good Rye bread. Spread generously with good hot German stone ground MUSTARD.
    Now that's a Sammich worth eating.

Any one who would put mayo on any kind of Liver sausage would probably put kidney beans in Chili.
    Yeah? Just because your grandpa ate it that way doesn't mean it's the only way to eat it! After serving a tour in Germany, I started eating french fries with mayo. Once in a while. They're good that way. And my great, great grandfather was from Germany. One of the sweet things about the USA is that we have foods from all over the world. There are very few of them that I won't try. Not fond at all of hot peppers, won't even try live monkey brains, and balut is pretty much out. Otherwise, I'm pretty game. Though there are better beans to use in Chili. Black beans are very good in chili.

Gary, you have me salivating. Did I mention I love liverwurst? Tomorrow I plan on buying some slabs from the deli and frying an onion and a slab or 2. But today I'm out. I ate the last of mine yesterday in another liverwurst and Vidalia onion sandwich minus the bread.

Scrounge, Monkey brains and Balut are non-starters for me too. But I eat things that many folks find too "out there", as I'm sure some folks eat things that I would find the same, yeah, like monkey brains and balut. Some day I'd like to try lutefisk. I think I have that name right. But it's just not a New England dish, more Minnesota (Scandinavian).

Speaking of Scandinavian I think I'll make some gravlox tomorrow. I might not smoke it. We'll see what grabs me after it's cured. It's awfully good with a few hours of cherry smoke (or not). I love the stuff. I make very low carb bread and it would be one more thing I can have for breakfast, with cream cheese. I bet it would also be good sliced thin inside an omelet, maybe with a mild cheese (or not), but I confess I never tried it that way. In years past it was always on a bagel with cream cheese. Frankly gravlox is the only way I like salmon.
    Last edited by BJK; 06-28-2021 at 04:43 PM.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by BJK View Post
    Gary, you have me salivating. Did I mention I love liverwurst? Tomorrow I plan on buying some slabs from the deli and frying an onion and a slab or 2. But today I'm out. I ate the last of mine yesterday in another liverwurst and Vidalia onion sandwich minus the bread.

Scrounge, Monkey brains and Balut are non-starters for me too. But I eat things that many folks find too "out there", as I'm sure some folks eat things that I would find the same. Some day I'd like to try lutefisk. I think I have that name right. But it's just not a New England dish, more Minnesota.
    Scandinavian more like, but I'd try lutefisk. Dried cod, soaked in lye. Sounds weird, but Hominy is dried corn soaked in lye, and grits are ground hominy, and I can eat them. I like my grits sweet, more or less the way I like my oatmeal, while a true Southerner will eat it more like mashed potatoes with gravy, but I'm not a purist about much of anything. Oh, yeah. Drink rootbeer with Chinese food. It's great! And only in America would somebody try that combination! It's the Melting Pot in action!

My grandparents were newlyweds during the Great Depression. Grandpa is from Michigan, Grandma from SoCal. They said you could get a bag of hominy for a nickel, if you could get the nickel. When I was growing up in the late 50s and on through the mid-70's, hominy was a common food on Grandma's table. So I grew up eating it in SoCal. I'm pretty sure Grandma made her own, sometimes. She was a cook in a logging camp when she met my Grandpa, among other places.

I was going to say something snarky about liking liverwurst, but truth is I'm pretty fond of Braunschwieger myself. And I'm the only one in my nuclear family who likes liver of any sort. So I don't get to eat it much. Grandpa introduced me to something I like, but have a hard time findings. Pickled bologna. It's surprisingly good.

Bill

Boolit Grand Master

Am I the only Liver Cheese lover ... surely others know of this delicacy !

I had a liver cheese sandwich for lunch yesterday , mayo on white wonder bread ...
    It was good ... It will be lunch in 60 mins ... I'm getting kinda hungry ...should I wait
    or do it again now ?
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Moderator Emeritus

Scrounge, Monkey brains and Balut are non-starters for me too. But I eat things that many folks find too "out there", as I'm sure some folks eat things that I would find the same, yeah, like monkey brains and balut. Some day I'd like to try lutefisk. I think I have that name right. But it's just not a New England dish, more Minnesota (Scandinavian).

Speaking of Scandinavian I think I'll make some gravlox tomorrow. I might not smoke it. We'll see what grabs me after it's cured. It's awfully good with a few hours of cherry smoke (or not). I love the stuff. I make very low carb bread and it would be one more thing I can have for breakfast, with cream cheese. I bet it would also be good sliced thin inside an omelet, maybe with a mild cheese (or not), but I confess I never tried it that way. In years past it was always on a bagel with cream cheese. Frankly gravlox is the only way I like salmon.
    Lutefisk... salt cod soaked in lye then water then steamed into fish jello... smells like week old dead carp laying in the hot sun on the river bank...

I won't go near the stuff LOL

Quote Originally Posted by gwpercle View Post
    Am I the only Liver Cheese lover ... surely others know of this delicacy !
    Gary, you can't be the only person. In following your link I looked to see where to buy it and it was a large hunk of the south up to the great lakes. Bummer! It's not in Maine.

Mary, I'd still like to experience it once. Just like I'd like to try Durian fruit just once. But I won't go to where it grows and I highly doubt that it'll ever be shipped into the US and be found in a supermarket.

Boolit Master
    my better half loves liverwurst, but she didn't go to Walmart with me today so all I got from sliced meat dept was some ham and turkey, I let her pick out the kinds she likes when she shops. now liver and onions is another story I love it but am pretty dang careful to only eat liver from local slaughtered steers that I know were brought up and fed only the finest local hay. or else from local wild game and chicken livers cooks with onions is pretty darn good stuff too.

Boolit Grand Master

Gary, you can't be the only person. In following your link I looked to see where to buy it and it was a large hunk of the south up to the great lakes. Bummer! It's not in Maine.

Mary, I'd still like to experience it once. Just like I'd like to try Durian fruit just once. But I won't go to where it grows and I highly doubt that it'll ever be shipped into the US and be found in a supermarket.
    No Liver Cheese in Maine ... That's not right !
    Okay , what about something we call Head Cheese ? It can be made with a Hog's head or with a Calf's head . In my neck of the South it's mostly Hog's Head Cheese made and sold in local meat markets . Head Cheese made with beef is usually done in home kitchens when a beef is slaughtered .
    There is one market that makes Head Cheese out of chicken ... It is labeled as " Chicken Glace' "... I gues that same package when labeled " Chicken Head Cheese " didn't sound appetizing at all !!!
    I get this mental image of a big pot of boiling chicken heads with beaks and eyes all cooking and bubbling ... I think it would be funny ...chicken head cheese !
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

I have never seen head cheese in Maine. But in NJ where I'm originally from it was a thing. Back then I wouldn't touch it but dad loved it. I don't know if I'd eat it today. It's too similar to eating monkey brains for me.

Boolit Master

Liver pate, of duck, liver sausage, liver and onions, liver wurst, boudin? Your talking my language here! Love it all. Liver mush? Never had it, but seems similar to scrapple, a favorite in the Delmarva area. All good stuff. Love liver and onions, raised on it.
    One of my father's favorite statements: "If I say a chicken dips snuff, look under his wing for the snuffbox" How I was raised, who I am.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by gbrown View Post
    Liver pate, of duck, liver sausage, liver and onions, liver wurst, boudin? Your talking my language here! Love it all. Liver mush? Never had it, but seems similar to scrapple, a favorite in the Delmarva area. All good stuff. Love liver and onions, raised on it.
    Last Friday , on way to Texas , went through Scott , La. , Best Stop Market lunch of hot boudin and crackers ... ate two big links and had a custard sweet dough pie for dessert ...Awesome .
    Best Stop uses a little pork liver in their old timey recipe , some folks don't care for it but I like liver so it's my favorite .
    Best Stop still has my favorite boudin but I can honestly say I've never ate a link , liver or no liver , that I didn't enjoy !
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Boudin, is that blood sausage? I never had the French version but I've seen it up here and heard people talking about it. The Polish make a barley and blood sausage and as a child I loved it. I tried some years later and wondered what I saw in it. It was just OK. Maybe it was the sausage recipe that was screwed up? IDK. It was called Kishkee, or that's the way the word sounded. I know it isn't spelled that way.

I just finished the fried onions and liverwurst. The liverwurst didn't take long to fry since it's already cooked and just needed warming. I don't think it was in the pan more than a minute. It was far milder than I remember liver and onions as a child. It could have had a stronger liver taste for me, but I'll make it again. Next time I'll have it sliced thicker and that might also help. For folks who don't like liver but want the nutrition I think it would be a good choice.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast