WidenersInline FabricationSnyders JerkyRotoMetals2
Lee PrecisionLoad DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan Reloading
Repackbox Reloading Everything
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Hello, my name is Brian and I love Liverwurst

Moderator Emeritus

DO NOT click that pop up warning! It is spyware.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Scrounge View Post
    Yeah? Just because your grandpa ate it that way doesn't mean it's the only way to eat it! After serving a tour in Germany, I started eating french fries with mayo. Once in a while. They're good that way. And my great, great grandfather was from Germany. One of the sweet things about the USA is that we have foods from all over the world. There are very few of them that I won't try. Not fond at all of hot peppers, won't even try live monkey brains, and balut is pretty much out. Otherwise, I'm pretty game. Though there are better beans to use in Chili. Black beans are very good in chili.
    Everyone has different tastes. I was raised in a German/Pennsylvania Dutch Family where mayonnaise was a SIN.
    And beans in Chili ? Didn't know anyone would put beans in Chili until I was 10(1963)yrs old.
    I blame it all on the Blasted new yorkers that came to CA in the 1970's.
    I HATE auto-correct

Happiness is a Warm GUN & more ammo to shoot in it.

My Experience and My Opinion, are just that, Mine.

SASS #375 Life

Vendor Sponsor

I got a text yesterday from a friend who was in the central part of the state, she brought us all some livermush! Couldn't remember which brand each of us liked so she brought an assortment. North Carolina is a selective and prejudiced place when it comes to livermush! They have a livermush festival in Marion, but oh no, ONLY Hunter's is allowed! So, not to be outdone, there is a separate livermush festival in Shelby, where I think Mack's is the featured brand.

If you were raised on Hunter's, Mack's is poison and vice versa.. I don't get it I like all of it!

Attachment 285960

Note, I put the Liver Pudding in the photo to illustrate what you will find when you are outside the livermush counties! It's not nearly as good as the real thing but if you smother it in sage and red pepper, it'll do!
    Got a .22 .30 .32 .357 .38 .40 .41 .44 .45 .480 or .500 S&W cylinder that needs throats honed? 9mm, 10mm/40S&W, 45 ACP pistol barrel that won't "plunk" your handloads? 480 Ruger or 475 Linebaugh cylinder that needs the "step" reamed to 6° 30min chamfer? Click here to send me a PM You can also find me on Facebook Click Here.

Gary, I've had ox cheek salad which was made with pickled ox cheek. From what I saw of the pickled pigs lips I think they would be similar. I'd try them. Heck, people eat pigs tails, and feet (pickled feet are delicious) so what's so bad about pigs lips? It's just a mental thing. I bet every time you eat a pork sausage or hot dog you're eating them and never even know it. There isn't that large a market for pickled lips so they get used somewhere. Heck, sausage (not all) contains pig rectums except it's listed under the label "pork". And that's the good stuff. Sausage also contains "cushion". I'll let you google sausage cushion to find out what it is. OK, I'll tell you; you can google it to check me out. They have people who pick over the gut pile for anything that can be ground up and disappear into the hotdog or sausage. It's sold extremely cheap but adds bulk and weight to sausage and makes us think we're buying something of great value for low cost. That's precisely why I make my own sausage, though not all of it. 20 years ago to buy really good sausage made from really good ingredients (no cushion, no ground bone, and =<25% fat) cost >$7/lb. I have no idea what it costs today, except prices have NOT come down. I can buy boneless butt on sale for $1.29 and with a bit of time make really good sausage I'm all for that. Mine doesn't contain the lymph nodes. Heck, I'm retired and I either have the time to make sausage or it doesn't matter. And I'm far off the subject of both liverwurst and pig lips. But that's OK if this thread goes off subject. That's what I love about these forums... learnin' stuff. And salivatin'.

If you try the pig lips we need an after action report. But if you like other pickled pig parts I'm willing to bet you'll like the lips. Looks like jowls to me but with a different name to cash in on the "I dare you", "Well you just hold my beer!" crowd. I'd try them with no beer for anyone to hold.

DougGuy, you have me salivating and I never had any of that.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by BJK View Post
    Gary, I've had ox cheek salad which was made with pickled ox cheek. From what I saw of the pickled pigs lips I think they would be similar. I'd try them. Heck, people eat pigs tails, and feet (pickled feet are delicious) so what's so bad about pigs lips? It's just a mental thing. I bet every time you eat a pork sausage or hot dog you're eating them and never even know it. There isn't that large a market for pickled lips so they get used somewhere. Heck, sausage (not all) contains pig rectums except it's listed under the label "pork". And that's the good stuff. Sausage also contains "cushion". I'll let you google sausage cushion to find out what it is. OK, I'll tell you; you can google it to check me out. They have people who pick over the gut pile for anything that can be ground up and disappear into the hotdog or sausage. It's sold extremely cheap but adds bulk and weight to sausage and makes us think we're buying something of great value for low cost. That's precisely why I make my own sausage, though not all of it. 20 years ago to buy really good sausage made from really good ingredients (no cushion, no ground bone, and =<25% fat) cost >$7/lb. I have no idea what it costs today, except prices have NOT come down. I can buy boneless butt on sale for $1.29 and with a bit of time make really good sausage I'm all for that. Mine doesn't contain the lymph nodes. Heck, I'm retired and I either have the time to make sausage or it doesn't matter. And I'm far off the subject of both liverwurst and pig lips. But that's OK if this thread goes off subject. That's what I love about these forums... learnin' stuff. And salivatin'.

If you try the pig lips we need an after action report. But if you like other pickled pig parts I'm willing to bet you'll like the lips. Looks like jowls to me but with a different name to cash in on the "I dare you", "Well you just hold my beer!" crowd. I'd try them with no beer for anyone to hold.

Okay ... on my next trip to Texas , I'll stop off in Scott , La, , hit the Best Stop Market for Boudin , cracklins and a jar of pickeled pigs lips ... when me and my brother get together , drink enough beer , we will try eating just about anything ... I think I can get him to do it with me and we will grade them om Looks , Presentation Flavor and Mouth Feel . I'll circle back on that item !

When it comes to whats in the stuff I'm eating ... if it taste good ... I'd rather not know .
    My brother is a butcher by trade so I already know what a lot of stuff is and it doesn't bother me ...
    My motto is ... Ignorance Can Be Blissful .
    The pickled Pigs Lips just look so ... wonky !!! Just on looks I never bought a jar ...Probably taste great with enough beer and cracklins . I don't know ...
    If they look too wonky ...I just might chicken out
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by BJK View Post

I grew up in New Ulm MN, as the name implies German heritage was big there and sausage was made by every store to their own recipe. One store made these all beef coarse ground hot dogs that were off the charts good. I knew the butcher so I asked what they used for meat. Chuck and brisket only! With some suet ground in if more fat was needed. Their brats were the same way, all beef, coarse ground and soooo good! I used to make the 70 mile trip to get them until that store got bought out. I still make a trip once a year to get summer sausage from a butcher 80 miles away, award winning and that is every year! https://schmidtsmeatmarket.com/ is the place and it is about 20 miles west of Mankato if anyone wants to try it.

Boolit Grand Master

MaryB
    Thanks for the link to Schmidts Market ... went there , looking around and found the Cooking Corner , recipies , cooking blog and all ... I was looking for something new to fix ... and here it is .
    My daughter is doing research into ancestry and say's we come from German-French stock .
    My Great Grandfather could speak both German and Cajun French . The Germans have a long history in Louisiana ... the German Coast lies on the west side of the Mississippi River above New Orleans and extends all the way to White Castle . Lots of German Heritage here ... me included !
    Thanks for posting the link ,
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Boolit Master

I'm Scotch-Irish, on both sides. One of my ancestors, Andersen Mcdonald, I believe, had his given name taken away by the king of England for joining in a revolt. Therefore, we have Anderson, americanized, in my family tree. Kinda tells you of my growing up--2 strong headed Scotch Irish going at it. LOL. Memorable times, all can say. Anyway, Dad was raised in the "German" part of Texas--Fredricksburg area. He grew up with lot of heritage there. That's why I love the sausage and kraut. We have a New Ulm in TX, also. In the Czech/German area between Columbus and Brenham. Great sausage makers in that area. Some of the brands are carried by some big grocers. Pig lips?? I'll wait for your report gwpercle.
    One of my father's favorite statements: "If I say a chicken dips snuff, look under his wing for the snuffbox" How I was raised, who I am.

Boolit Grand Master

I'm having second thoughts about "Pickled Pig Lips " ... I'll be bringing a jar to Texas when I visit my brother ... I wonder how many beers and " Double-Dog-Dares" this is going to take ?
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

ROTF!

Too funny!

If it helps I'll be there in spirit and with more hard liquor in me than you and your brother (I just can't drink beer).

It'll be fine! Go for it! I double dog dare you! Here, I'll hold your beer for you.

Do you know how many people can't/won't eat liverwurst? It's all in the mind. OK, some of it is Biblical too. But when I was extremely hungry as a GI in France I saw what looked to me like chicken salad at a roadside stand between Paris and Normandy. The price was right and I was an impoverished GI. I pointed to it and paid my Francs. It tasted sorta strange but the pickle on the sandwich made it OK. Then I ran out of pickle. Now the sandwich tasted strange and not at all like chicken. I mentioned it to a gent from LA, how it no longer tasted like chicken. He told me that it wasn't chicken but cat. He suggested I go out back and see the cat skins drying in the sun. Sure enough they were there. So I went into the place, pointed at the mix and asked, "Buk, Buk Buk?', the response was, "Non, meow.". If I had known it was cat I'd have just accepted that it was going to be different and finished the sandwich. I also wouldn't have ordered it. But did I mention how hungry I was and how short of funds I was? It's just a state of mind is my point. If it was chicken salad I expected to get sick. I was fine through the next day. But I continue to get hair balls. If I had a better Biblical grounding back then cat would have been wayyyy off my food list, but I was ignorant as to what it was due to the language barrier, my hunger, and finances at the time. Boudreaux knew what it was but wasn't talkin' until I asked!

Boolit Grand Master

Going to a local market Sunday , called Rouses Markets , they are local , started in New Orleans .
    It's where I get good Liver Cheese and ... New Orleans is the area where Farm Fresh Food Suppliers is based ... and they make all the pickled pork hocks , feet lips, tails , pickled eggs and pickled sausage products ...
    If I'm lucky Rouses will have some of these pickled products and I'll score a jar or two of pickled goodies . My wife doesn't usually take me shopping but I'm going Sunday and see what they have besides slices of Liver Cheese / Liver Loaf. ... with mayo on Wonder Bread !!! Oh Yeah Baby !!!
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Sounds like fun Gary!

I normally dislike shopping, but I'm the cook in the family and I enjoy food shopping to see what's available to make life easier for me and what dishes I can make with what I find new at the supermarket.

Boolit Grand Master

Sunday shopping for Pigs Lips at Rouses was a bust ... They didn't have any & don't carry them .
    Asked my brother if he had ever tried any ... he said No ... Got him interested ... he's going to look around Beaumont TX area and see what he can find and I'm going to check a few more Cajun Meat Markets in Coon Ass country . I think I saw them in Albertson's ... but in a huge jar ... I ain't buying a big jar ... just in case neither one of us like them !
    I did find something good ... Mickle's Pickles , the best tasting sweet pickles on earth ! I was afraid the Pandemic had wiped the company out ... but they still alive and had Pickles for sale at Maxwell's Market in Baton Rouge ... so that was wonderful ... after eating Mickle's ...no other is as good .
    The Search for PPL (Pickled Pig's Lips) Continues !
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Gary, you had me rolling on the floor. I don't know why, I just found it hysterically funny!

Boolit Master

gwpercle---

Amazon is your friend!!

https://www.amazon.com/Farm-Fresh-Fo...7584533&sr=8-2

In Stock!!
    One of my father's favorite statements: "If I say a chicken dips snuff, look under his wing for the snuffbox" How I was raised, who I am.

I'm salivating. But that's because it's pickled and no carbs and I love anything pickled.

Gary, you seein' this?

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by gbrown View Post
    gwpercle---

Amazon is your friend!!

https://www.amazon.com/Farm-Fresh-Fo...7584533&sr=8-2

In Stock!!
    Thanks for the link . That is the brand I am looking for ... Farm Fresh Food Supplies ...
    I know I've seen them in stores when I'm not looking for them and usually buy foods when I can eyeball the product .
    I clicked on the Amazon link and was thinking of ordering ... but I started reading the product information and the best used buy date is ... Sept. 30 , 2015 !
    Dude that's 6 years out of date ... My wife doesn't let me eat foods more than 1 year past the use by date ... she said she's tired of taking me to the emergency room at 3 AM when I eat food that far expired .
    Although it is in stock ... I'm going to look for some newer made jars, maybe 1 year expired .
    I also want to look at them a little better, in person ...looks and presentation is important when judging Pickled Pigs Lips .
    I noticed the price was $24.00 but now the 6 year old expired jar has been marked down to just $12... I will admit to being "thrifty" or as my wife calls it "tight wad"... but 6 years out of date is too old ...even for me ... at any price.
    I got some new leads , several area stores say they carry Farm Fresh Products ... I just need to go shopping and find them ... Rouses was supposed to have some ... but I guess the covid shortages of 2021 has struck the pickled pork industry too .
    No primers , no powder and now no pickled pork lips ... what next !

I do appreciate the thought gbrown
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Boolit Master

that sounds like "scrapple" in DE, PA. It's a it's a pennsylania dutch dish called pannhass (pan rabbit?). Making it requires stirring a huge pot for several hours.

Gary, that's just a stock picture that they've used for years. Pictures don't change to reflect the latest production if the label is otherwise the same. Ask them for their current "best used by" date.

Boolit Master

"...looks and presentation are important when judging Pickled Pig Lips." That's about the funniest thing I've heard in a long time. I can't stop thinking about the judges with their clipboards checking off "looks and presentation" at the county fair. I'm still chuckling. Aunt Bee would be crying "Foul."

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast