Lee PrecisionWidenersRotoMetals2Titan Reloading
Snyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingInline Fabrication
Repackbox Load Data
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Hello, my name is Brian and I love Liverwurst

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by gwpercle View Post
    Thanks for the link . That is the brand I am looking for ... Farm Fresh Food Supplies ...
    I know I've seen them in stores when I'm not looking for them and usually buy foods when I can eyeball the product .
    I clicked on the Amazon link and was thinking of ordering ... but I started reading the product information and the best used buy date is ... Sept. 30 , 2015 !
    Dude that's 6 years out of date ... My wife doesn't let me eat foods more than 1 year past the use by date ... she said she's tired of taking me to the emergency room at 3 AM when I eat food that far expired .
    Although it is in stock ... I'm going to look for some newer made jars, maybe 1 year expired .
    I also want to look at them a little better, in person ...looks and presentation is important when judging Pickled Pigs Lips .
    I noticed the price was $24.00 but now the 6 year old expired jar has been marked down to just $12... I will admit to being "thrifty" or as my wife calls it "tight wad"... but 6 years out of date is too old ...even for me ... at any price.
    I got some new leads , several area stores say they carry Farm Fresh Products ... I just need to go shopping and find them ... Rouses was supposed to have some ... but I guess the covid shortages of 2021 has struck the pickled pork industry too .
    No primers , no powder and now no pickled pork lips ... what next !

I do appreciate the thought gbrown
    Gary
    Note also that there is a $12.03 shipping charge... Marked down, you say? HA!

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Scrounge View Post
    Note also that there is a $12.03 shipping charge... Marked down, you say? HA!
    I'm not going to be ordering any off the net ... this weekend I went to 4 different local markets and found no Farm Fresh Foods products ... a worker said they haven't received any shipments in 3-4 months . None of the stores had any of their pickled products in stock ...
    I'm sending the company an e-mail and will see what's going on and find out where/if they are available ... $12.00 postage is stoopid ... the Co is in Amite LA. which is about an hour's drive .
    I can drive there if they sell to the public ... but they may be having pork supply problems ... the dang Pandemic has screwed up everything except the face mask and hand sanitizer businesses .
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by gwpercle View Post
    I'm not going to be ordering any off the net ... this weekend I went to 4 different local markets and found no Farm Fresh Foods products ... a worker said they haven't received any shipments in 3-4 months . None of the stores had any of their pickled products in stock ...
    I'm sending the company an e-mail and will see what's going on and find out where/if they are available ... $12.00 postage is stoopid ... the Co is in Amite LA. which is about an hour's drive .
    I can drive there if they sell to the public ... but they may be having pork supply problems ... the dang Pandemic has screwed up everything except the face mask and hand sanitizer businesses .
    Gary
    Actually, it's even screwed those up. Try and get a real N95 mask. Or ask your doctors how well they're doing at getting them. Though I'll wish you good luck finding the foods you want.

Bill

Boolit Grand Master

Let me re-phrase that ... The stoopid Pandemic has screwed up everything except the Hand Sanitizer business ... I can still get hand sanitizer at wally mart !
    Certified Cajun
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Boolit Grand Master

I sent an email to Farm Fresh Products , (makers of pickled pork products ,eggs , sausages etc) see post # 82 .
    and just yesterday got a reply . They are still in business but their supply (pork parts to pickle) and distribution lines have been " disrupted" they are working hard to get products back in the stores and the guy tells me I can order on-line from Amazon ... $11.00 pickled pork lips + 12.00 postage ...
    I don't think so... I'm going to wait untill they show up in store ... dang Chinese ...messed up my pickled pork supply .
    He didn't have an option of me coming to the plant in Amite , La. and buying directly from them ...just Amazon and I aren't going that route .
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

FWIW, I looked it up on Amazon. As a prime member I can often get free shipping. It's not available on that though.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by BJK View Post
    FWIW, I looked it up on Amazon. As a prime member I can often get free shipping. It's not available on that though.
    So I take it ... you wont be ordering any pickled pigs lips from Amazon either ... that postage is a deal breaker !

Good news ... My wife spotted Farm Fresh Pickled Eggs in a Wally Mart near our house ... she didn't buy me a jar but that's a good sign Farm Fresh is getting back i
    Yeah ... I like Pickled Eggs and haven't had any in a long time ...

You guy's like Pickled Eggs ... Got any good recipes ? Share Them while I run down these and see what they taste like .
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Yes, doubling the price of the jar is a definite deal breaker for me.

The following recipe CAN use full strength vinegar but there's a bit less pucker when it's diluted. Too, Cider vinegar can be used but it will give the eggs an off color if I remember correctly. One last note, these will last a very long time under refrigeration and if they're old enough to stick together they make the best egg salad you ever ate! I forgot about some and found them years later. They were still good, but stuck together.

Pickled Eggs

3 dozen large eggs
    6 cups White Vinegar
    2 cups water
    2 medium to large onions, coarse chopped
    5 cloves garlic, coarse chopped

1 gallon jar

Optional:
    1 Beet for color
    4 Ripe Scotch Bonnet Peppers, coarse chopped
    2 generously rounded TBL crushed red pepper

Add ½ of the liquid and all coarse chopped flavorings to jar. Hardboil eggs, then shell them and add the eggs to the jar. The eggs should all easily fit in the jar and be covered by liquid (if not make it so). If desired a skinned, sliced beet can be added for color, the pickling juice should be much darker than the desired egg color when you remove the beet slices. If the beet is small enough removal of the beet may be unnecessary. Allow to sit at room temperature for 2-3 weeks for the pickle to fully absorb. Shelf life should be a few months, but they won’t last that long.

Add salt and pepper as desired when eaten, a good hot sauce is also good on them if the hot peppers aren’t added to the jar. I think they make the best egg salad.

4 dozen of our eggs makes two ½ gallon jars with a few left over.

Note: I now use 5 parts vinegar to 1 part water.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by BJK View Post
    Yes, doubling the price of the jar is a definite deal breaker for me.

The following recipe CAN use full strength vinegar but there's a bit less pucker when it's diluted. Too, Cider vinegar can be used but it will give the eggs an off color if I remember correctly. One last note, these will last a very long time under refrigeration and if they're old enough to stick together they make the best egg salad you ever ate! I forgot about some and found them years later. They were still good, but stuck together.

Pickled Eggs

3 dozen large eggs
    6 cups White Vinegar
    2 cups water
    2 medium to large onions, coarse chopped
    5 cloves garlic, coarse chopped

1 gallon jar

Optional:
    1 Beet for color
    4 Ripe Scotch Bonnet Peppers, coarse chopped
    2 generously rounded TBL crushed red pepper

Add ½ of the liquid and all coarse chopped flavorings to jar. Hardboil eggs, then shell them and add the eggs to the jar. The eggs should all easily fit in the jar and be covered by liquid (if not make it so). If desired a skinned, sliced beet can be added for color, the pickling juice should be much darker than the desired egg color when you remove the beet slices. If the beet is small enough removal of the beet may be unnecessary. Allow to sit at room temperature for 2-3 weeks for the pickle to fully absorb. Shelf life should be a few months, but they won’t last that long.

Add salt and pepper as desired when eaten, a good hot sauce is also good on them if the hot peppers aren’t added to the jar. I think they make the best egg salad.

4 dozen of our eggs makes two ½ gallon jars with a few left over.

Note: I now use 5 parts vinegar to 1 part water.
    That's an awesome recipe ... I like your tips : Beet Juice w/ apple cider vinegar to improve the color and the 3 to 1 (or 5 to 1) vinegar/water ... straight vinegar may keep them best but the pucker factor is way up there .
    Thanks for posting,
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345