Inline FabricationRepackboxReloading EverythingRotoMetals2
Load DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersTitan Reloading
Lee Precision
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 9mm glaser safety slugs for barn varmints?

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Combat Diver View Post
    Yards. As we know when firing CCI shotshells out of a rifle barrel the spin causes the pattern to open up in a O/donut with a hole in the center stans shot. T/C developed the HotShot barrels in .357/.44 Mags with a longer shot cups. Long before the .410 chamberings. They developed a choke without rifling to go on the end of the muzzle then stops the spin. Hence you're actually able to get patterns of shot. Remove the straight rifled choke to shot standard .357 bullets.

CD
    Thank you for your reply and explanation.
    I wasn't aware of that setup for a Thompson Contender.
    Wow!, ....6'' group at 15 yards!
    I'm still digesting that.
    1A - 2A = -1A

Boolit Master
    Those cast hot glue bullets will kill cats, opossum and squirrels.
    If you cast a .38 or .45 and put a lead ball or a cast .22 bullet for weight I think you can knock down a raccoon.!1
    Those gluelits are pretty hard on fleshy parts, but they won't tear up the walls unless you shoot the wall straight on.
    I bet it won't shoot thru an animal and the thru the roof like a solid all Lead slug will.
    Just a thought.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Alferd Packer View Post
    I have used a .22 LR RF hi speed with a meplat filed on the bullet nose.
    Only need to remove about an 1/8 of an inch to create a wad cutter almost full width of the bullet.
    You don't want to get hog wild when filing and take off more than is needed.
    Just enough for a nice flat meplat.
    Shoot almost any small game animal and it will anchor them.
    Dad showed me that for squirrel hunting and it has done the job on Squirrel, Rabbits ,Possum and Racoons .
    Raccoon can be hard to kill sometimes, but that bullet with the meplat is very effective.
    An Australian immigrant said they always used .22s fixed that way to hunt game where he came from.
    vvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvv
    One thing to remember about filing on a bullet is that the loaded round needs the bullet weight to stay heavy enough to make the powder load burn efficiently.
    in other words, you can reach a point of diminishing returns by making the bullet so light that all the powder won't burn, especially in cold weather.
    The bullet may not travel faster, the lighter it gets, but can actually go slower approaching a failure to burn or a misfire.
    Too light a bullet can be a misfire.The .22 if is a delicately balanced load both from the bullet weight and the burning pressure needed for the powder to fire.
    There are a few members on here that reload .22 rimfire experimentally using different powders and bullet weights to increase accuracy and or performance.
    Just another way to do it!
    Have fun!

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by trapper9260 View Post
    Set up some box traps and use some thing sweet that the cat will not go after. Coon like sweets
    I once used marshmallows when I was trying to trap raccoons around the house. It worked well until one of my cats took a liking to them. Caught him two nights in a row and then decided to go about things differently.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12