RepackboxLoad DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyWideners
Lee PrecisionInline FabricationReloading EverythingTitan Reloading
RotoMetals2
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 9mm glaser safety slugs for barn varmints?

9mm glaser safety slugs for barn varmints?

I have been thinking my about using my 9mm carbine to exterminate raccoons and opossums out in my barn. I could use the 22 but my 9mm carbine has a quad rail and light set up which works well. My current setup is a 124gn truncated cone on top of 3.5gn red dot but I’m afraid of over penetration and poor performance on these small animals. What do you guys think about using glaser safety slugs for pest control. I’m thinking rapid expansion and less penetration would be wicked on a raccoon or opossum?
    "Life's tough......It's even tougher if you're stupid."
    -John Wayne

You still have the jacket and any shot that may stick inside the jacket to deal with. The Glaser acts like any other bullet until it hits something with enough resistance to make it come apart. Just some things to think about when shooting around things you care about.

Hope this helps.

Fred
    After a shooting spree, they always want to take the guns away from the people who didn't do it. - William S. Burroughs.

Maybe drill a big hole in the nose of those TC bullets? Might try 5 or 6, see what they do in water jugs.

Boolit Grand Master

Southern France by way of Interior Bush Alaska
    Consider getting a good setup for your .22. Nothing better than that for small varmints at close range.

I am thinking at $2 a shot and more difficult to find than a 4 leaf clover, I’d pick a .22 as well, over the Glaser slug

Boolit Grand Master

While the glassers are effective on that size animal it stays a slug until impact, only then releasing tie shot bullet tip and shredding the jacket.Om a miss they will do more damage to the building than a light for caliber hollow point. The last glassers I bought were 26-27 dollars for six of the blue tipped 45 autos. They do make a practice version that are cheaper.

The other consideration is noise inside a building the 9mm is going to be loud. Another is muzzle flash sparks around hay straw and the dust,

I did shoot a wood chuck at Dads with a blue tip Glasser ( target of opportunity) was about 70 yds out. From my 3" carry 45. It looked like it swelled up about 5-6" and never moved. Dad opened it up and there was nothing really more than goo inside.

Inside a building The 22 with shorts or the high vel light weight hollow points works well. Another useable option is one of the newer high velocity pellet guns with heavier hunting pellets. A 22 cal side cocker at 1000 - 1100 fps will do what a 33 will and be quieter

I appreciate the advice. I have never used them and know the cci shots won’t do the job at any distance.
    -John Wayne

Boolit Grand Master

I think for the price of Glasers in your 9, you could buy a new .22 rifle accessorized as required.
    ”We know they are lying, they know they are lying, they know we know they are lying, we know they know we know they are lying, yet they are still lying.” –Aleksandr Isayevich Solzhenitsyn

My Straight Shooters thread:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...raight-shooter

The Pewter Pictures and Hallmarks thread:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...-and-hallmarks

Boolit Grand Master
    My vote would be a .22 or .25 pellet rifle. I have a .22 PCP and can shoot it without hearing protection. A raccoon can get big and I am not sure how effective a .22 pellet would be. You would get a better idea on one of the air gun forums
    Don Verna

What do you guys think about the Lyman devastator for this purpose. I have a new mold that I have not tried yet. From what I have read expansion is very explosive. Yes I am aware of if I miss i will have to deal with that. Just looking at all the options.

And yes I could buy the new rifle but I have more than I can shoot now. Just looking outside the box
    -John Wayne

Boolit Grand Master
    Why not trap them? Traps work while you sleep.
    Don Verna

Several curious barn cats make trapping hard
    -John Wayne

Boolit Grand Master

Any single pellet of substantial weight has a danger of over penetration and significant damage to the barn.
    ”We know they are lying, they know they are lying, they know we know they are lying, we know they know we know they are lying, yet they are still lying.” –Aleksandr Isayevich Solzhenitsyn

My Straight Shooters thread:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...raight-shooter

The Pewter Pictures and Hallmarks thread:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...-and-hallmarks

Boolit Grand Master

Southern France by way of Interior Bush Alaska
    Quote Originally Posted by cumminsnut76 View Post
    What do you guys think about the Lyman devastator for this purpose. I have a new mold that I have not tried yet. From what I have read expansion is very explosive. Yes I am aware of if I miss i will have to deal with that. Just looking at all the options.

And yes I could buy the new rifle but I have more than I can shoot now. Just looking outside the box
    If you already have the mold, why not try it. Let us know your results. Don’t forget to use the softest lead you have.

Boolit Buddy
    You could try and encourage the ferals to move to your neighbours place, just a thought it worked for me.

Quote Originally Posted by cumminsnut76 View Post
    Several curious barn cats make trapping hard
    Set up some box traps and use some thing sweet that the cat will not go after. Coon like sweets
    Life Member of NRA,NTA,DAV ,ITA. Also member of FTA,CBA

Boolit Master

I would try using CCI shotshells. I squirrel hunt with Speer Shotcapsules out of my Contender on squirrels. Contender has the Hotshot barrel with choke that stops the destablizing spin of the shotshell. Can keep a 6" pattern at 15 yds. Load with #6 shot. Shot that miss won't cause much damage in barn.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG00087 Nov 11 .357 shotshells backyard Supply NC.jpg 
Views:	33 
Size:	125.4 KB 
ID:	285529

CD
    Last edited by Combat Diver; 07-05-2021 at 01:28 AM.
    De Oppresso Liber

Irag: 91,03,04,05,06,08,09',15', 16',22-23'
    Afghanistan: 09,10,11',14',17'-21'

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Combat Diver View Post
    ..... Can keep a 6" pattern at 15 yds. Load with #6 shot.
    I know you said 15 yards (45 feet) but have to ask....15 yards or 15 feet?
    If 6" at 15 yards,...Wow!, I'm impressed!
    1A - 2A = -1A

Boolit Master
    I have used a .22 LR RF hi speed with a meplat filed on the bullet nose.
    Only need to remove about an 1/8 of an inch to create a wad cutter almost full width of the bullet.
    You don't want to get hog wild when filing and take off more than is needed.
    Just enough for a nice flat meplat.
    Shoot almost any small game animal and it will anchor them.
    Dad showed me that for squirrel hunting and it has done the job on Squirrel, Rabbits ,Possum and Racoons .
    Raccoon can be hard to kill sometimes, but that bullet with the meplat is very effective.
    An Australian immigrant said they always used .22s fixed that way to hunt game where he came from.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Rizzo View Post
    I know you said 15 yards (45 feet) but have to ask....15 yards or 15 feet?
    If 6" at 15 yards,...Wow!, I'm impressed!
    Yards. As we know when firing CCI shotshells out of a rifle barrel the spin causes the pattern to open up in a O/donut with a hole in the center stans shot. T/C developed the HotShot barrels in .357/.44 Mags with a longer shot cups. Long before the .410 chamberings. They developed a choke with straight rifling to go on the end of the muzzle then stops the spin. Hence you're actually able to get patterns of shot. Remove the straight rifled choke to shot standard .357 bullets through the rifled barrel.

CD
    Last edited by Combat Diver; 07-05-2021 at 01:31 AM.
    De Oppresso Liber

Irag: 91,03,04,05,06,08,09',15', 16',22-23'
    Afghanistan: 09,10,11',14',17'-21'

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast