Lee PrecisionWidenersLoad DataMidSouth Shooters Supply
RepackboxRotoMetals2Inline FabricationReloading Everything
Snyders Jerky Titan Reloading

Thread: First snow of the season

First snow of the season

Not much, not even a coating, but there it was, technically the first snow. But it was a type that many here have probably never seen, spherical snow. No not sleet which is a clear water crystal, these are white and spherical. I never saw it until moving to Maine, it's not common even here but we'll get it a few times per year. It's called grauple. I've seen the spheres up to maybe 1/4" in size. I've also never seen any depth to it, a coating at most when it happens. Since it's denser than a normal snowflake it falls faster.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Graupel
    Let's go Brandon!

Boolit Master

We get it on the Mountains around Kalispell. Usually 4 to 6 times a year *spring and fall times). Have seen it as much as 2 to 3 inches, but usually just covers the ground. Because it comes in Spring or Fall - almost always gone in a day.
    Mustang

"In the beginning... the patriot is a scarce man, and brave and hated and scorned. When his cause succeeds, the timid join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." - Mark Twain.

Boolit Buddy

We get quite a bit of that in Eastern WA, folks around here commonly call it "popcorn snow". We had our first snow 3rd week of Oct and snowed 2 1/2 - 3hrs and quite heavy for that early but ground was too warm for any to stick.

Boolit Grand Master

We get very little snow here. Our frozen precipitation is usually in the form of ice or sleet. But we did have our first frost of the year this morning.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by PhilC View Post
    We get quite a bit of that in Eastern WA, folks around here commonly call it "popcorn snow". We had our first snow 3rd week of Oct and snowed 2 1/2 - 3hrs and quite heavy for that early but ground was too warm for any to stick.
    Still haven't seen snow down here 70 miles south of you. Was just thinking about that popcorn snow. Reminds me of Dippin Dots that the malls used to sell in the 90's...

Attachment 291273
    "Luck don't live out here. Wolves don't kill the unlucky deer; they kill the weak ones..." Jeremy Renner in Wind River

Boolit Master

Snow?

Boolit Master
    Fresh grauple is a fun treat on x-country skis, it's like ball bearings.

Boolit Grand Master
    I'm like Phil, I always called it popcorn snow.

As I get older, I've come to realize that snow is a four letter word.

Robert

Boolit Master

I guess I am a contrarian. More and more I avoid the desert in hotter periods of the year; but the cold & snow don't bother me as much. I can only take off so much clothes if it's hot; but I can keep putting on more and more layers in the cold.

Of course in the cold there is always:

Mustang

"In the beginning... the patriot is a scarce man, and brave and hated and scorned. When his cause succeeds, the timid join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." - Mark Twain.

We had a dusting here at 1700’ in Central NYS earlier this week.

Boolit Master
    I thought that was called hail.

Boolit Master
    Having lived where I do for more decades than is admittable - I have seen snow on ever single calendar day. It's often difficult to ascertain what is the last fall snow from the first winter fall.
    But dang the northern lights have been beautiful over the snowy peaks the past few nights!!

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

Boolit Buddy

Quote Originally Posted by MUSTANG View Post
    I can only take off so much clothes if it's hot; but I can keep putting on more and more layers in the cold.
    I have been telling my wife the exact same since 1978.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by PhilC View Post
    I have been telling my wife the exact same since 1978.
    Was just talking with my folks tonight about how the weather affects them now that they are 74 and 70. It's crazy how much the cold weather and changing barometric pressure affects old injuries. Had a cold front move in today and my mom said she had her sinuses acting up and getting light-headed. Happens every time a storm system moves in. Dad said he broke a bone in his hand a few years ago and when the weather changes, the pain is ridiculous.

They have a winter home down in Arizona and report that they feel 15 years younger as soon as they get in the dry and warm weather after leaving Idaho every October/November.
    "Luck don't live out here. Wolves don't kill the unlucky deer; they kill the weak ones..." Jeremy Renner in Wind River

Boolit Grand Master

Grew up east of you two states and remember getting that in grade school and later in late August and Early September when a cold spell swept south. Very slippery stuff.
    I Am Descended From Men Who Would Not Be Ruled

Fiat Justitia, Ruat Caelum