Reloading EverythingSnyders JerkyTitan ReloadingLee Precision
RepackboxLoad DataWidenersInline Fabrication
MidSouth Shooters Supply RotoMetals2

Thread: 303 loads for Bren with Lee 185 grain

Boolit Mold

303 loads for Bren with Lee 185 grain

Does anybody have loads for the Lee 185 grain 312.

It is for a friend. He tried some 303 British I loaded with 14 grains of Hercules 2400.

He shot these OK but the rounds did not have enough power the recycle the action.

Unfortunately I only have loading data for bolt action rifles.

I have now cast several bullets and lubed some and powder coated others to see if there will be any difference with these.

Does anybody have a suggestion for loads for the Lee bullet?

Any help will be appreciated.

Regards
    Donald

Boolit Grand Master

Might try 4895 or an extruded powder with similar burn rate or slightly slower [Varget, 4064, RL15, etc.]. Start at 25 gr with a dacron filler and work up until functioning is reliable. best accuracy with reliable functioning will be at that point. A heavier bullet such as a 314/316299 would also be better.
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

Boolit Master

I can't help you with the Lee bullet, or with 100% certainty what would cycle a Bren, but my .303 load is the gas-checked .314/ .316299 (NOE clones) over 27.7 grains of Accurate 5744. This duplicates the @2000 fps MKI-MKVI 215 grain round nose service loads, with a similar level of recoil to the 2400fps 174 grain MKVII stuff -- but much more within the comfortable limits of cast bullet capabilities.

EDIT TO ADD: Bren guns eject downward. Does your friend have a plan for keeping his brass un-mangled?
    WWJMBD?

In the Land of Oz, we cast with wheel weight and 2% Tin, Man.

Boolit Master
    Does the bren have an adjustable gas port ? If so has he tried the smallest vent setting? That will boost the pressure somewhat.

Banned

Nothing to add to the question, but owning a Bren gun would be cool. Please post some pictures of shooting it if you can.

Boolit Buddy
    Things like this can be tricky to work out long distance. The only way I see of getting this worked out is for you to fly me to Norway and Let me test this bren in person.

Indeed they are tricky. Does he have a close friend with a Lewis Gun? Be glad to help. I’ve been to Ireland, worked with a neat guy from Scotland and have a passport around here somewhere….

Boolit Master

Time to drift the thread and tell some war stories. In 1965, I was in the 8th Division in Germany. I tried out for the LeClerc NATO infantry competition. We had M-14E2s and were shooting against the Brits in Auto rifle competition. they had Brens in 7.62x51. We never stood a chance against the brens with our 14E2s.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by jaysouth View Post
    Time to drift the thread and tell some war stories. In 1965, I was in the 8th Division in Germany. I tried out for the LeClerc NATO infantry competition. We had M-14E2s and were shooting against the Brits in Auto rifle competition. they had Brens in 7.62x51. We never stood a chance against the brens with our 14E2s.
    I've become a bit of an Anglophile in my firearm purchases in recent years. Doctrinally, the Brits were doing a lot right in the WWI/WWII/early Cold War period. The U.S. got the 1911 right; managed not to botch the M1 Carbine; and miraculously barely avoided turning the Garand into a complete train wreck. Other than those three, the history of U.S. small arms procurement has been a complete freak show since the days of George Washington. Even when we eventually get it right, it's better if you don't watch your sausage being made. The M14 was suppose to somehow replace the M1, the M1 Carbine, and the BAR. Ummmm. . .yeah. . .

All that said, my No. 4 would REALLY like a BREN to snuggle up next to. . .
    WWJMBD?

In the Land of Oz, we cast with wheel weight and 2% Tin, Man.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigslug View Post
    I've become a bit of an Anglophile in my firearm purchases in recent years. Doctrinally, the Brits were doing a lot right in the WWI/WWII/early Cold War period. The U.S. got the 1911 right; managed not to botch the M1 Carbine; and miraculously barely avoided turning the Garand into a complete train wreck. Other than those three, the history of U.S. small arms procurement has been a complete freak show since the days of George Washington. Even when we eventually get it right, it's better if you don't watch your sausage being made. The M14 was suppose to somehow replace the M1, the M1 Carbine, and the BAR. Ummmm. . .yeah. . .

All that said, my No. 4 would REALLY like a BREN to snuggle up next to. . .
    Yes brens are pretty sweet a friend of mine has 2 of them 1 is a real one and the other is kinda rare its made only for blank ammo as a reinactors piece. I forget who made it but only the wood, magazines, and a few of the minor parts interchange thats how it got ATF not class 3 blessing. He does WWII reinacting with a group called Can-Para (Caniadian Airborne) and thought he needed to accessorise his Damlier Dingo scout car cause its got a mount in the front for a Bren. As for myself I woundn't turn down a Lewis gun if somebody was giving one away.

Boolit Mold
    Thanks for the info. I will see if I can get some 5744 and try that.

I bought about 10,000 factory new cases a few years ago so case wastage is not a problem.
    It is not as if he will be shooting a lot , he just wanted to get a load that will function.

The 2400 load will be used in No. 1s and No. 4s