RotoMetals2Inline FabricationTitan ReloadingLee Precision
MidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingLoad DataWideners
Snyders Jerky Repackbox

Thread: 10 x 39 ?

Boolit Master

10 x 39 ?

This may be a weird idea
    BUT I like large diameter bullets for hunting Whitetail Deer or Hogs
    As I feel that a larger diameter bullet allows me to worry less about if the bullet expands
    And put more work into getting the bullet to pass through the right area

So tonight I was sorting some range brass
    When I found some 10 MM Magnum brass in my range brass pick up bucket
    Not many cases , but as I looked at them
    I saw whoever had loaded these Starline cases
    They had loaded them maybe slightly warm
    As the primers were FLAT , the primer edge had lost the rounded edge

So they were put in the scrap bucket

But as I sorted I was also thinking
    To hunt deer here in Ohio
    A cartridge needs to be 35 cal or larger
    It also has to be straight walled , or like the 45/70 or 450 Bushmaster
    It can have a taper , but no bottle neck
    The way Ohio has the rules written now , a 38 Spec loaded with wad cutters is now OK , that I don't agree with

So as I was thinking , I picked up my Savage 10 that I rebarrreled to 7.62 x 39
    Looking at a 7.62 x 39 case , I had a idea
    Expand the 7.62 x 39 case to 10 mm and I would have a case with some taper
    But I could push a 200 gr cast bullet at a modest velocity and make a great 200 yard deer round
    I was thinking that NOE 403-198-WFN-Y1 with its decent size nose and the GC
    I bet the round would work well

As I harvest a fair amount of the deer with a bow or crossbow
    I am thinking of looking into a barrel

Your thoughts ?

John
    Yea, thou I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil; for thou art with me; Thy rod and thy staff, they comfort me.
    And I carry a LOADED Hell Cat

Boolit Buddy
    Interesting. Rough numbers looks like about .050 taper? Necking up .1 may be doable. I don’t have Quick Load and I don’t even know if it allows you to play “what if’s” with wildcats. If it did I’d start with case capacity and velocity. I shoot 200 grain 311299 out of the 7.62 but that’s all low velocity stuff. What magazine would you to feed it with? Gotta love wildcats. Keeps you thinking. I wonder if there’s a Savage bolt head, magazine that’ll feed the 35 Rem. Good luck.

Boolit Grand Master
    It may work. Since you already have a Savage action set up for the case head, all you would really be out would be the cost of a barrel and chambering reamer. After trying it you may want a real set of custom loading dies.

For others thinking of something like this, the 7.62x39 and .357 case rims are usually close enough to work, so they may want to start with a .357 Magnum bolt action. I know my little Charles Daly Mini Mauser in 7.62x39 will feed .38/.357 from the magazine.

Robert

Boolit Master

Savage sold the bolt heads for people making 22 and 6 PPC bench rest rifles
    Same case head as the 7.62 x 39
    Nice thing about the Savage rifles
    I can change barrels and bolt heads with a set of simple tools made to work on the Savage rifles

John
    Yea, thou I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil; for thou art with me; Thy rod and thy staff, they comfort me.
    And I carry a LOADED Hell Cat

Winchester thought that almost exactly the same result, if not based on the yet to be little Russkie, was a good round in 1910: .401WSL. The 200 grainers had a poor history, but the 240s and 250s were well regarded. The old .401WSL, as would your modernization, outpaces the .44Mag. with both in carbines and does so with better SDs and BCs.
    The first purpose of the Second Amendment is too often overlooked, fostering a liberty of mind and action necessary in the people of a free republic.

“Ironically, the only gun control in 19th century England was the policy forbidding police to have arms while on duty.”
    ~ Don B. Kates, Jr.

Boolit Master
    Might run it by the state before doing it. You never know what they will say.

I think it should be a fine deer cartridge at the right distance.

There is a 10mm wildcat based off of the 6.8spc case that basically has no taper. I looked at the x39 case but used the 308/30-06 family of cases for my 400FUW wildcat (40x1.8"). 2600fps is possible with a 200gr xtp out of a AR-15 with 22-250 bolt. Buddy put together a Ruger 77 and worked up to around 2765 fps with the bullet seated out further with a 22" barrel. Haven't tried cast in it yet since mold prices have been crazy.

Banner Sponsor

I took a 7.62x39 case and necked it up in several steps. It ended up at 1.526" and should hold 39gn H2O.
    I put it into Quickload with an 18" barrel and a 200 WFN cast seated to 1.850"
    H110
    29gns - 2135fps @ 44kpsi 100% load density
    31gns - 2280fps @ 56kpsi 107% load density

With the 200gn XTP
    H110 28gns - 2132fps @ 48kpsi 103% load density

Boolit Master
    Don't the Russians have a 9.3x39 mm in a suppressed rifle? It might give a indication of what the 10x39mm is capable of.

Another source of brass is 6.5 Carcano. Chop off neck and trim to 39mm. May need to ream neck.

Wow. I like it!
    WWG1WGA

Don't know if Ohio has a case length restriction like the limited zone in MI does for straight walled cases, but that's the reason why these all have a case length under 1.8". I have at least one upper chambered in each caliber and they'll feed out of standard length modified 223, 350L or 450BM mags. You'd likely be able to for a longer COL in a bolt action. L-R: 350L; 357AR; 375 FUW; 400 FUW; 44x1.6"; 44x1.8"; 450BM. Cheap actions to work with, just like the savage where if you don't like it you're only out a barrel blank.

Boolit Grand Master
    32-40 and 38-55 both are straight sided with some taper. Are they acceptable?

Also, the modern version of Winchester’s old 40-65 is made by blowing out a 30-40 Krag case to straight sides.

Froggie
    "It aint easy being green!"