Inline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionRepackbox
WidenersRotoMetals2Reloading EverythingTitan Reloading
Snyders Jerky Load Data

Thread: Need a good reference for refinishing a 29 Smith. Nickel or hard chrome.

Boolit Master

Need a good reference for refinishing a 29 Smith. Nickel or hard chrome.

So here is what I have, a Model 29-2, Pin and recess, 8 3/8th, with a Leupold scope mt. The nickel is peeling off the frame and the cylinder. Where is a reputable, honest priced place to get this Hard Chromed. I would think this would be tougher than the nickel, if anyone has any other suggestions let me know. I thought about stripping the nickel off, and just hot blue it, which I do myself, but this is nice piece, very little wear on the firearm at all. I have taken 2 deer with it, has some sentimental value, was gifted to me by a friend who has since passed on. The thing is insanely accurate, with a 3x scope it shot around a little over an inch at 50 yds sandbagged and about 2.5-3 inches at 100yds, with 240 gr JHPs. All help appreciated.

Boolit Master
    I don't know if they are still in business, but some years ago I sent a blue Walther PPK to Checkmate Plating in FL and they did a great job on the gun and two magazines. At the time they said they had people on staff who knew how to correctly disassemble and clean the gun and parts prior to plating. GF

Boolit Master
    I'd consider Cerakote. I have it on a rifle and it wears very nicely, tough stuff.

Boolit Master

Do not blue it. Nickled guns are fitted looser due to the thickness of the plating. To retain its fit, the plating needs to be replaced with a plating of equal thickness. A short search found the following companyh. Have exactly zero experience with them but a little research might find reviews of their work from other sources.

http://mahovskysmetalife.com/
    Spell check doesn't work in Chrome, so if something is spelled wrong, it's just a typo that I missed.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by ulav8r View Post
    Do not blue it. Nickled guns are fitted looser due to the thickness of the plating. To retain its fit, the plating needs to be replaced with a plating of equal thickness. A short search found the following companyh. Have exactly zero experience with them but a little research might find reviews of their work from other sources.

http://mahovskysmetalife.com/
    ^^ He nailed it. ^^
    Service members, veterans and those concerned about their mental health can call the Veterans Crisis Line to speak to trained professionals. To talk to someone, call 1-800-273-8255 and Press 1, send a text message to 838255 or chat at VeteransCrisisLine.net/Chat.

If you or someone you know might be at risk of suicide, there is help. Call the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline at 1-800-273-8255, text a crisis counselor at 741741 or visit suicidepreventionlifeline.org.

Boolit Grand Master
    I would second the cerakote. Can't you get one of the finishes that looks like brushed stainless? If so, thats the way I would go.

Boolit Master
    Thanks guys, I will definitely be using Mahovsky

Not cheap, but good work. I had an LAR Grizzly hard chromed by this outfit. I am still very happy with it.

https://apwcogan.com/what-is-refinishing/

They can do nickel too.

You are experiencing the irritation and heartbreak that anyone who owns and USES a nickel plated firearm eventually endures.

I say -- WAIT!!! Don't do this thing. If you spend the considerable amount of money it will cost to expertly refurbish this fine revolver, you might never enjoy using it as you have in the past. Any plated revolver is simply waiting for it's first nick, flake, scratch, which will be an irreparable flaw.

I say, use it and enjoy it for what it is -- a great and basically corrosion resistant work-horse with some memorable dings. jd
    It seems that people who do almost nothing, often complain loudly when it's time to do it.

Boolit Master

I would send it to S&W. They will take care of it and being done by the factory there will be no monetary value lost like not using the factory. Just my opinion.